My first environment concepts

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

My first environment concepts

Hello everybody, I've to admit that I come from deviantart, but I really need some constructive critiques and I found this site that looks really helpful. Anyway, these are my firsts digital paintings of environments and I know that I need to improve.

Name:  smalltemples.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  300.4 KB

Name:  smalloldheaven.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  323.8 KB

Last edited by ShivaAbarai; January 19th, 2014 at 09:22 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    First Painting, cool concept, but since the red area is really dominant in my opinion, i would place an uneven number of other red spots/objects, brushstrokes etc etc on the painting. this because the eye will be drawn to a larger part of the painting than to only the center.

Thanks
    also, i would use harder textures and shading. like now the green vale, it looks like a carpet due to the smoothness

Thanks
    Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals.

1. Learn Perspective. There are remnants of it in the paintings, but it looks like you're just guessing at it. Recommended book: Norling: Perspective made easy
    2. Draw and paint from life . Your lighting and colours are extremely over-saturated and unconvincing, your materials are also unconvincing (e.g. the water doesn't look like water). Drawing/Painting from life and using references will help you get better in that regard. Recommended book about Colour: Gurney: Colour and Light
    3. Learn about composition and implement a proper procedure with thumbnails into your workflow. The images lack narration or focal point. They have large areas of empty space (e.g. to the right of the first painting) where nothing is happening. All that would've been obvious to you if you'd done thumbnails. Recommended books: Hamm: Drawing Land- and Seascapes / Mestre: Framed Ink

Thanks
    Thanks Joelchaimholtzman and Benedikt.
    Yesterday I've started another drawing and I want to show you a wip, I would like some suggestion about the perspective, composition and the lights, expecially of the left stairs.

Name:  castlewip.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  488.0 KB

Thanks
    Perspective looks more solid on this one, but it's quite a mess overall nevertheless I'm afraid.
    What are photo textures doing in the image if there's no value organization at all? Is this a night scene? Why are the walls so light in value then? It's clear that you neglected to do thumbnails again.
    I could of course go ahead and tell you what to change for every part of the composition, every value, every material etc. so that the image looks more naturalistic, but it won't benefit you much. You're lacking the fundamnetals to pull this kind of image off.
    You have to start going about this in a more organized manner.

Heed the advice you've been given and start drawing and painting stuff from life or at least with reference for a while (as well as educating yourself with the books I cited). You're biting off more than you can chew at the moment.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,282 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Get Norling. Do the exercises with a ruler, pencil, and paper. There is really no way around plotting perspective by hand repeatedly, if you want to get an intuitive grasp of it.

Thanks
    I've tried to apply some new things that I've learned in the weekend on a quick sketch, what do you think? Even compared to my previous paintings in this thread.
    Thanks

Name:  critiqueme.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  375.6 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 2,282 Times in 1,394 Posts
    I'd say you ought to stop trying to paint in Photoshop, at this stage neither Photoshop nor color is getting you anywhere.

Focus on learning perspective instead. And I mean learning, not imitating things. Get "Perspective Made Easy" by Norling, and do the exercises - in pencil, on paper, using a ruler.

You need to drill the formal perspective into your system before you can eyeball it.

Thanks
    Actually I don't understand... do you have time to draw the lines on the last drawing to sketch a correct perspective to show me where I did wrong?
    These are the lines that I've made before to color.

Name:  perspective.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  439.3 KB

Thanks
    a great rule of perspective is to have the vanishing points far from each other so you don't get a distorted image.

Thanks

Thanks
    Yep, Benedikt told you everything you need to know for now. Well I'd add values to the list but that comes from life studies.
    Follow the advice because where you stand there is no quick fix we can tell you to suddenly improve.

Thanks
    Ok ok, so this would be better?

Name:  Untitled-6.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  73.6 KB

Thanks
    It would be better if you got Norling's book and did the exercises in it. Placing two vanishing points correctly on a horizon line does not mean that you've understood perspetive. Far from it.

Thanks
    But can you tell me what is wrong?

Thanks

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    "Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a lifetime."
    This applies here. You're asking for a fish, Benedikt is telling you how to fish. I don't know how to explain it better...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to stephou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm back with a new project waiting your critiques.

Name:  newproject.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  202.0 KB

Thanks
    And you're still not listening. If you had followed the advice given to you, you'd know that perspective also applies to mountains and rivers. You can spend as much time as you want on drawing in perspective, if you don't understand how it works you will always be stuck there.

Thanks
    Well, I'm trying to understand
    Anyway, I know that the montains looks huge, and can be that are prospectively wrong, but my idea was that the river ends in a waterfall, and that montain ahead are detached from the ground with the houses.

Last edited by ShivaAbarai; January 16th, 2014 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks
    I think it would be very beneficial for you to combine your perspective studies from Norling's book with studying real life objects (houses, trees, rivers, landscapes...). Preferably from life, some from photos as well. Perspective you'll learn freom Norling and from practice, but you're also lacking the visual library to draw the things you want to draw. Only studying (from life and reference) will remedy that.

Thanks
    I've modified the previous sketch after studied the book and made exercises.

Name:  envi2.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  120.1 KB

Thanks
    Well keep on practicing and doing exercises obviously.
    And now we're starting to get somewhere. Make sure your vanishing point is actually a point where everything converges. Here it's a bit messy with things getting smaller much faster than others.
    Also get some strong structure on the mountains on the side. Here they're just diagonal lines, you should break them.
    Since you've been struggling with values, I'd make this one black and white, to see how much of the lighting you understand.

By the way, sorry for the harsh comments, but I got the feeling you were trying to avoid the exercises.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stephou View Post
    Well keep on practicing and doing exercises obviously.
    And now we're starting to get somewhere. Make sure your vanishing point is actually a point where everything converges. Here it's a bit messy with things getting smaller much faster than others.
    Also get some strong structure on the mountains on the side. Here they're just diagonal lines, you should break them.
    Since you've been struggling with values, I'd make this one black and white, to see how much of the lighting you understand.

By the way, sorry for the harsh comments, but I got the feeling you were trying to avoid the exercises.
    Thanks for the apologies and also to taking the time to critique my work.
    As you can see in my sketchbook, I've made the exercises and I will continue to make them.
    Now I will try to add values.