Art: Picture Plane

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Picture Plane

Thanks

Question Picture Plane

I'm trying to learn the basics of perspective, and I'm trying to understand what the picture plane is. To me, it seems like cropping, but I'm not exactly sure. Also, is it important in learning perspective or learning composition?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Let's say you're standing in a museum looking at a painting. Think of the frame as a window frame, like you're looking through the window and seeing a scene 'outside'. The 'glass' in the 'window' is the picture plane. So for example if the painting shows a person facing directly toward you standing at military attention then his entire body is parallel to the picture plane, but if he's turned at an angle and has one arm pointing back into the distance then he's not parallel to the picture plane.

Thanks
    The picture plane is what the 3D world is "projected on". In theory a plane is infinitely in span, but you choose to crop it when you draw an illustration. It's like looking through a window, and then drawing what you see.
    Name:  durer.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  39.1 KB

Thanks
    So, it's essentially the same as framing?

Thanks
    Not really. Framing takes place on the picture plane, and determines the outer edges of the image, but it's not identical. You can change the framing while keeping the same picture plane for instance, by expanding or otherwise moving the outer perimeter. Or you could keep the same aspect ratio while rotating the picture plane.

Generally when people talk about the picture plane it's in relation to other planes or objects in the image - the most common way to use it is to say "everything is parallel to the picture plane", or "the wall behind your character is completely parallel to the picture plane". So people usually refer to it in order to talk about deep space in an image, or the lack thereof. Framing is closely aligned with picture plane, but they're not the same thing.

Thanks
    I just ran across a perfect illustration for this:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=273703

The first image on this thread is a perfect example. The entire figure is parallel to the picture plane, as if it's an action figure laying against a wall that's totally perpendicular to the viewers' eyeline. You could change the framing by maybe expanding the canvas to show all the way out past his hands and feet, but the picture plane remains the same, and the figure is still totally parallel to it (like a paper doll).

Thanks
    Okay, I think I got it. Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 6