Sketchbook: Void's Sketchbook - Journey on The Road to Unsuck

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Void's Sketchbook - Journey on The Road to Unsuck

Once more into the breach, my friends.

Been away for quite some time, it seems. Not sure what the etiquette is on starting a new sketchbook versus necroing my old one. But it's been over a year since my last post, and I plan on treating this sketchbook a little differently, so I figure it's fine like this.

About me:
    29 year old Linguistics Major. Recently decided to change career paths and went back to college for Game Development. Drawing's been a hobby for several years now, and I feel I'm finally starting to get halfway decent at it.
    Never really cared too much about doing art professionally, but I'm serious about improving, and my goal is to be unambiguously good at it.
    Drawing is one of those things that gets more fun the better you become. Perhaps that's true for everything.

What you can expect:
    Mostly digital work. I'll probably be posting my various class assignments along the way. Various studies, maybe some community activities, and lots of random sketches. I don't really expect much of any nudity to crop up, but I won't guarantee it'll never happen.
    Don't expect high level work just yet: I'm somewhere between novice and intermediate in level.
    Critiques are always welcome, and you have my thanks in advance for it

Thank you for visiting

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by IntoTheVoid; August 12th, 2014 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Thumbnail
    My Sketchbook - All are welcome
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now, let's start off with a self portrait of me as a 19th century industrialist tycoon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This assignment called for a redesign of a Beretta pistol. The general theme I used in the redesign was: "I don't know a damn thing about guns". I think it comes through pretty well.

Not pictured: me Frankensteining together a bunch of those thumbnails, picking out the combinations that seem to work, then making a few variations of each. That's what happened somewhere between image 1 and image 2.

Last image feels a bit incomplete, but whatever.

Name:  Beretta-Redesign-I.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  97.2 KBName:  Beretta-Redesign-II.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  94.6 KBName:  Beretta-Redesign-III.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  286.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Urban Death with his pet phoenix (rooster breed).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some 3D stuff. These weren't assignments or anything; just practice I did over the summer.
    Never mind the textures - a lot of them are just placeholders til I learn more about lighting and texturing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More assignments.
    The goal here is to design 3 rooms / stages / levels with art assets, including obstacles and enemies. it's supposed to be a top-down obstacle avoidance type game, but we're allowed to fudge the perspective a little bit to make it more interesting.

My concept is "pirate ghosts" or possibly "ghost pirates". Either way.
    Still haven't settled on the character design.

You can see I very briefly tried out the pixel art approach on that boat there. Seems okay; might try more later, but at the moment it just doesn't feel responsive enough.

Other assignment is a more straightforward one for character designs. Went with a "snowy" theme on this one. Trying to explore styles like Jamie Hewlett and Carlos Meglia.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, that's one major assignment out of the way. Not really ecstatic about the end result, but I think it's doing a couple of things right. Actually, I'm pretty impressed with how the water turned out, considering I used such a simple brush for it.

Three populated levels and a character sprite. I probably should have made a few more diverse assets; ended up abusing the crates as a decoration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Character model sheet for a non-specific original concept. Honestly, pretty disappointed with this one. Got stuck trying to capture a particular kind of mood. Didn't work out; ran out of time. Had to cut corners to finish.
    I feel like I may have been kinda close to doing a good job on this one. Maybe with a bit more time / planning. Kinda digging the style though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More character concepts. This time, based on a design brief. First character is a barbarian type living in a harsh, arctic climate. Second is a femme fatale type, freelance assassin and so forth.

Not really feeling the designs for the latter since I'm kinda sick to death of that archetype. Like, 80% of all female characters are already that archetype. Tried to branch out as much as I could with it, but I'm mostly treading on the "weird" side of the "unique" spectrum.

On the plus side, I stuck a pelvic bone on the barbarian's head and it amuses me to no end. All matters of practicality aside, pelvises (pelvii?) make a surprisingly good crown.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final render of the arctic barbarian. Needless to say, I deviated from the brief juuuust a little bit in this version. I like him better this way. Rawr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, so here's the latest batch of assignments. I've noticed the middle stages of the rendering process are very troublesome for me. I usually have some idea of how to start a piece, and (to an extent) how to finish one, but have nary a clue of how to develop it. I'm just improvising so far, with mixed results at best, but not too bad overall.

The first one, I focused a lot on composition and lighting. I know of two major mistakes so far: one is how the campfire is slightly out of perspective with the rest of it. Two is I totally forgot to render her hair. Which kills me looking at how many different hair variations I sketched for her for some godforsaken reason. Gonna be fixing those two as soon as I get the chance.

The feeling I wanted to convey here was "oh look, dinner just showed up; how convenient". Something like that.

In the second one, the assignment required us to mimic the art style of the mobile game "megarun". To be honest, I don't like the design one bit, or even vector art in general, but somehow I don't hate this. I mean, aside from the fact that it's essentially megarun fanart But I feel it turned out relatively inoffensive.

Last one is still a work in progress. Focus is once again on composition. I wonder if I'm overdoing the whole "hair blowing in the wind" schtick. I like how it flows in the composition, but it might be overkill. Here's hoping it's covered under "artistic license".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, let's see. Got a few sketches this time. First is for an assignment to design a character based on storytelling archetypes. I went with "the nightmare", but it was all pretty low effort work to be completely honest.

Second is for creature design, which I definitely got into a lot more than the first.

Thirdly, here's whatever came out of that WIP I posted last time. Not sure I'm feeling those textures at the moment, and I think this piece is missing a strong focal point. I was trying to make the castle into one, but I don't think it worked quite as intended.

Well then, onwards and upwards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So now the semester's finally done. I'll have a bit more time now, hopefully to work more on my own stuff, and participate more in the different challenges on CA. Here's the last batch of coursework I got.

Vehicle concept: futuristic retro / post-apocalyptic. Like a grimdark Jetsons.

Creature concept: some kind of weird alpa[ca]mel. I don't really know what to make of it; I was just following the sketches from before :p

And then there's the dreaded Spider-Clown. Welp, mildly disappointed by how it turned out, but I don't think it's a complete failure. I often like to go back to older pieces every once in a while, when I think my skills have improved. This one, I'd say my rendering is a fair bit better than last time, but in the end, the underdrawing is rather weak. Particularly the spider itself, being really rigid and uninteresting.

In any case, I think I finally got some of these brushes out of my system (and / or got used to them) so I won't be abusing them so much anymore.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some leftover sketches from my coursework, and my progress on the current COW. I settled on Pinsir in the end, but I made a few different sketches.
    From right to left they are: Rhyperior (x3), Lugia, Donphan, Omnatar, and Parasect.

Name:  ghoul_and_kappa.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  74.2 KB
    Name:  319-pokemon_errata.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  59.5 KB
    Name:  COW 319 - Pinsir WIP02.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  195.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Next wip.

Name:  COW 319 - Pinsir WIP04.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  335.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like the posting issues have resolved now. I hope. And here are the finals for the last two COWs. I'd say it's pretty decent work for my level.

For the Pinsir, I wanted to include some samurai influences. The way its body is segmented made me think of samurai armor, so I added in more elements based around that, like the crest on its head and the sections around its shoulders. Still iffy about the wings, since beetle wings normally extend from the abdomen, but I don't know - maybe it looks a bit too low after all.

The griffin was a bit on the tricky side with its foreshortened torso. Tail ended up almost entirely obscured, and the wings feel kinda messy, but I think the overall rendering turned out okay.

Name:  319 - Pokemon Redesign, Pinsir Final and wips.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  220.4 KB
    Name:  320---Glamorous-Griffin-Final.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  239.4 KB

Last edited by IntoTheVoid; May 24th, 2014 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spreading out to the other weeklies now. Wips for "Fallen Angel" and "The Wall".

Name:  353_Fallen-Angel_Cherub.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  43.6 KB
    Name:  231---The-Wall_Wip1.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  68.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well the wall was a bit of a failure. Guess I should have planned it out better.

My dark cherub really started channeling cupid by the end there. I need to focus more on defining the different forms.
    The concept behind this one was that its wings were inverted and its soul was confiscated for its crimes when it was banished. I guess in the end those shapes don't really look that much like inverted wings.
    And I just realized, I have a bad habit of adding completely random design elements that have little to do with the concept itself.

Having some fun with the latest COW though. Genetically modified berry

Name:  231---The-Wall_wip2.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  94.4 KB
    Name:  Fallen Cherub Final.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  186.7 KBName:  353_Fallen-Angel_Cherub_thumbs.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  20.4 KB
    Name:  322-Toyberry-WIP01.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  79.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, you got some cool stuff here! I'd advise some studies of your materials, so you can get EXTRAA AWESOME.

Anywho, keep up the great work! Love your creature sketchies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, hey I had a visitor!
    Thanks Misty Feather, that's very much appreciated. And you are quite right, more studies are needed. It's not that I don't do them - I just don't post them cause scanning is a pain. But yeah, I just remembered about the spartan camp on these forums and will be participating as much as I can starting this week.

And here are my COW, CHOW, and EOW entries.

Concept: Toyberry
    In the years of the second ice age, both raising livestock and farming were a very serious challenge. The specially engineered Lonberry - a carefully designed berry-based breed of livestock - became a staple in many households. The Lonberry was a fantastic source of food, and its fur secreted an oil with antibacterial properties.

As communities stabilized, a small sub-breed nicknamed "Toyberry" quickly rose to popularity for their small size and endearing berry scent.
    Name:  322-Toyberry-Final.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  150.3 KB

Concept: Crazy Pirate Cook
    The mad cook Gremio is well feared by the entire crew of the Sea Hag for his horrifically avant-garde cooking. It doesn't help that his iron stomach has no trouble handling all the deadly ingredients he likes to use.
    Name:  355-Crazy-Pirate-Cook_Final.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  472.3 KB

Concept: The Black Church
    "Slowly it creeps and spreads from the cold reaches of the black church. Slowly it writhes, and shimmers, and bides its time. Slowly, slowly, it reaches out. It makes no haste. Slowly, in the serene forest, it makes no haste at all. It likes it here. It just doesn't want to leave."
    Name:  233-The-Black-Church_Final.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  252.5 KB

Last edited by IntoTheVoid; July 7th, 2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Added descriptions

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, glad you hear you're doing your studies. Make sure to 'study' and not 'copy'.. That's something I need to do as well, haha.

Poor whale in the crazy cook painting, hehe. Very neat cherry dragon in the next sketch-- I like! Shiny!

Drive that pencil into the great chasm of improvement, and watch where it lands, as the great cascading sky of reckoning brings you to the next level, and that neverending staircase of artistic enlightenment sends you forth! Or something. (Trying to find awesome ways of saying 'keep it up'. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, thanks a bunch Misty (or do you prefer Feather?). And that totally reminded me - I forgot to add descriptions to my last post. Mistake rectified.

Here, just for you, some of my life drawings from the last few months.
    Apologies for the low picture quality. Camera shots are the best I can do.
    Heh, or maybe I should apologize for the low quality of the drawings themselves

Name:  IMG_0005.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  168.7 KBName:  IMG_0007.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  72.8 KBName:  IMG_0008.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  33.8 KBName:  IMG_0009.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  82.3 KBName:  IMG_0015.JPG
Size:  55.0 KBName:  IMG_0011.JPG
Size:  98.5 KBName:  IMG_0012.JPG
Size:  49.3 KBName:  IMG_0013.JPG
Size:  45.7 KBName:  IMG_0014.JPG
Size:  80.2 KBName:  IMG_0016.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  46.4 KBName:  IMG_0017.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  58.0 KBName:  Gestures-4.jpg
Size:  182.2 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 814 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey void! he good model drawing, and I see you started with some basic shapes in there. I'd suggest doing that a lot, as such nice things as your crazy pirate cook and the creature suffer a bit from hard-to-read space. (like, I think that cooking pot is on a table in front of the chef, but i cant really tell from the picture)
    keep up the great work and hope to see you in a chow. or cow or such again soon!

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you kindly ashess, and thanks for visiting
    Yes, you may be right. Really, that whole piece is just a victim of terrible planning: I added the fishie halfway through and didn't have any place in the composition to put it.
    It's not even on a table, it's... I don't know what it's on. It's a solid block of nothing
    I didn't like them floating in mid air so I added some sort of grounding plane, but yeah, I think that was a mistake.

And yeah, I'll see you around in the different activities
    This week I'm trying my hand at COW and IDW.

Now, let's get gestural up in here. Presented below is my dismal failure to even remotely keep up with last week's spartan camp. Next time, surely

Name:  SC_gestures_01.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  75.0 KBName:  SC_gestures_02.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  94.6 KBName:  311,-clothed-gestures.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  66.1 KB

And some exploratory sketches for the COW.
    Name:  325-Seeing-Eye-Dog_Sketches.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  104.9 KB

Last edited by IntoTheVoid; July 9th, 2014 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice paint-sketchies and studies. You're blooming into an awesome artist. Don't be afraid to spend more time to finish details on stuff. Gogogoggoo!!!! Win!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't be afraid to spend more time to finish details on stuff.
    Aww, but then what would happen to my poor little attention span? Won't you feel sorry for it?
    I'll be going back to older works periodically, when I feel like my skills are improving, to push them further or rework them entirely from the ground up. I like to do that every once in a while. Not sure how common that is, but it gives me a decent way of gauging my progress.

Some Bruce Timm studies for my gestures. I'm trying to learn how to do more with less. I wish I could find more male examples from this guy, but it seems the internet does not share that sentiment.

Name:  312,-Bruce-Timm-Gestures.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  77.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More Bruce Timm, anyone?

Name:  312,-Bruce-Timm-Gestures_02.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  73.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, just feel-as-you-go. That's the way I do it too... No rush. Just do it one step at a time and figure it out as you go.

Nice gestures! Keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you as always Misty

Wizard's Apprentice
    I like the overall design I ended up with. Got a decent amount of details and design elements in here, but maybe the design is getting a bit lost in the upper torso area. I'm still debating if I want to make him blind / half-blind to show how difficult the vocation is.
    Name:  357---Wizard's-Apprentice_WIP1.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  67.5 KB

Treeplanter Mech
    The design is pretty unique, I think. I wanted this one to feel like it's doing most of the work with the tool on its "chin". As in, that thingie would serve as a seed injector, garden hoe, tree spade, etc. etc. I wonder how to emphasize that component compared to the cockpit without making it too unwieldy. I also hope it doesn't end up looking unbalanced.
    Name:  Treeplanter_Sylvie_Wip2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  100.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These latest works are very fun and child-like. I think younger kids would love them, haha. But, it's all about your audience, isn't it? There's a large demand for cute, fun things. Reminds me a bit of zou's work, or WALL-E.

I like the design of the treeplanter the most. Keep at it! You're rockin' this joint!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook