Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Void's Sketchbook - Journey on The Road to Unsuck

Thanks

Void's Sketchbook - Journey on The Road to Unsuck

Once more into the breach, my friends.

Been away for quite some time, it seems. Not sure what the etiquette is on starting a new sketchbook versus necroing my old one. But it's been over a year since my last post, and I plan on treating this sketchbook a little differently, so I figure it's fine like this.

About me:
    29 year old Linguistics Major. Recently decided to change career paths and went back to college for Game Development. Drawing's been a hobby for several years now, and I feel I'm finally starting to get halfway decent at it.
    Never really cared too much about doing art professionally, but I'm serious about improving, and my goal is to be unambiguously good at it.
    Drawing is one of those things that gets more fun the better you become. Perhaps that's true for everything.

What you can expect:
    Mostly digital work. I'll probably be posting my various class assignments along the way. Various studies, maybe some community activities, and lots of random sketches. I don't really expect much of any nudity to crop up, but I won't guarantee it'll never happen.
    Don't expect high level work just yet: I'm somewhere between novice and intermediate in level.
    Critiques are always welcome, and you have my thanks in advance for it

Thank you for visiting
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by IntoTheVoid; August 12th, 2014 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Thumbnail
    My Sketchbook - All are welcome
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Now, let's start off with a self portrait of me as a 19th century industrialist tycoon.

Thanks
    This assignment called for a redesign of a Beretta pistol. The general theme I used in the redesign was: "I don't know a damn thing about guns". I think it comes through pretty well.

Not pictured: me Frankensteining together a bunch of those thumbnails, picking out the combinations that seem to work, then making a few variations of each. That's what happened somewhere between image 1 and image 2.

Last image feels a bit incomplete, but whatever.

Name:  Beretta-Redesign-I.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  97.2 KBName:  Beretta-Redesign-II.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  94.6 KBName:  Beretta-Redesign-III.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  286.6 KB

Thanks
    Urban Death with his pet phoenix (rooster breed).

Thanks
    Some 3D stuff. These weren't assignments or anything; just practice I did over the summer.
    Never mind the textures - a lot of them are just placeholders til I learn more about lighting and texturing.

Thanks
    More assignments.
    The goal here is to design 3 rooms / stages / levels with art assets, including obstacles and enemies. it's supposed to be a top-down obstacle avoidance type game, but we're allowed to fudge the perspective a little bit to make it more interesting.

My concept is "pirate ghosts" or possibly "ghost pirates". Either way.
    Still haven't settled on the character design.

You can see I very briefly tried out the pixel art approach on that boat there. Seems okay; might try more later, but at the moment it just doesn't feel responsive enough.

Other assignment is a more straightforward one for character designs. Went with a "snowy" theme on this one. Trying to explore styles like Jamie Hewlett and Carlos Meglia.

Thanks
    Okay, that's one major assignment out of the way. Not really ecstatic about the end result, but I think it's doing a couple of things right. Actually, I'm pretty impressed with how the water turned out, considering I used such a simple brush for it.

Three populated levels and a character sprite. I probably should have made a few more diverse assets; ended up abusing the crates as a decoration.

Thanks
    Character model sheet for a non-specific original concept. Honestly, pretty disappointed with this one. Got stuck trying to capture a particular kind of mood. Didn't work out; ran out of time. Had to cut corners to finish.
    I feel like I may have been kinda close to doing a good job on this one. Maybe with a bit more time / planning. Kinda digging the style though.

Thanks
    More character concepts. This time, based on a design brief. First character is a barbarian type living in a harsh, arctic climate. Second is a femme fatale type, freelance assassin and so forth.

Not really feeling the designs for the latter since I'm kinda sick to death of that archetype. Like, 80% of all female characters are already that archetype. Tried to branch out as much as I could with it, but I'm mostly treading on the "weird" side of the "unique" spectrum.

On the plus side, I stuck a pelvic bone on the barbarian's head and it amuses me to no end. All matters of practicality aside, pelvises (pelvii?) make a surprisingly good crown.

Thanks
    Final render of the arctic barbarian. Needless to say, I deviated from the brief juuuust a little bit in this version. I like him better this way. Rawr

Thanks
    Alright, so here's the latest batch of assignments. I've noticed the middle stages of the rendering process are very troublesome for me. I usually have some idea of how to start a piece, and (to an extent) how to finish one, but have nary a clue of how to develop it. I'm just improvising so far, with mixed results at best, but not too bad overall.

The first one, I focused a lot on composition and lighting. I know of two major mistakes so far: one is how the campfire is slightly out of perspective with the rest of it. Two is I totally forgot to render her hair. Which kills me looking at how many different hair variations I sketched for her for some godforsaken reason. Gonna be fixing those two as soon as I get the chance.

The feeling I wanted to convey here was "oh look, dinner just showed up; how convenient". Something like that.

In the second one, the assignment required us to mimic the art style of the mobile game "megarun". To be honest, I don't like the design one bit, or even vector art in general, but somehow I don't hate this. I mean, aside from the fact that it's essentially megarun fanart But I feel it turned out relatively inoffensive.

Last one is still a work in progress. Focus is once again on composition. I wonder if I'm overdoing the whole "hair blowing in the wind" schtick. I like how it flows in the composition, but it might be overkill. Here's hoping it's covered under "artistic license".

Thanks
    Okay, let's see. Got a few sketches this time. First is for an assignment to design a character based on storytelling archetypes. I went with "the nightmare", but it was all pretty low effort work to be completely honest.

Second is for creature design, which I definitely got into a lot more than the first.

Thirdly, here's whatever came out of that WIP I posted last time. Not sure I'm feeling those textures at the moment, and I think this piece is missing a strong focal point. I was trying to make the castle into one, but I don't think it worked quite as intended.

Well then, onwards and upwards.

Thanks
    So now the semester's finally done. I'll have a bit more time now, hopefully to work more on my own stuff, and participate more in the different challenges on CA. Here's the last batch of coursework I got.

Vehicle concept: futuristic retro / post-apocalyptic. Like a grimdark Jetsons.

Creature concept: some kind of weird alpa[ca]mel. I don't really know what to make of it; I was just following the sketches from before :p

And then there's the dreaded Spider-Clown. Welp, mildly disappointed by how it turned out, but I don't think it's a complete failure. I often like to go back to older pieces every once in a while, when I think my skills have improved. This one, I'd say my rendering is a fair bit better than last time, but in the end, the underdrawing is rather weak. Particularly the spider itself, being really rigid and uninteresting.

In any case, I think I finally got some of these brushes out of my system (and / or got used to them) so I won't be abusing them so much anymore.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast