Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks

Finally studying seriously, need feedback and tips!

Fellow artists from ConceptArt.org, you are amazing.
    I'm Fernanda Camacho, 24, brazilian, and I would very much appreciate comments and critiques on the things I post on this sketchbook.

I've been doing some gesture drawings lately of 120, 90 and 60 seconds and I will be posting them as I make them. I've also been participating at least once a week on a speedpainting group on facebook, with a time limit of 30 minutes for each painting... I admit I don't always manage to paint within those thirty minutes, although I paint the given themes anyways cause they're awesome themes.

Up until a month ago I had only drawn a couple of sceneries, a couple of dozen full bodies (only women), and faces... Dozens of faces... My anatomy skills are poor and only now starting to improve with the gesture drawings, and my sceneries too... I've been starting to observe them better and imagine how to get those results when I paint. I guess that helps before practising.

Now... For me to keep working constantly and, obviously, improving fast, instead of just making tons of sketches and overlooking the things my art lacks, I will ask for your help. Are you with me? Cause "I have a dream..."

These are the first 55 gesture drawings I've done, all of them of 120 seconds and then some things from my sketchbook.

Then there are some of the paintings I've been doing on those themes from Spitpaint. They were done rather fast for my skill level. I know they're not great and they look very unfinished... The thing is - I still don't know how to make them look finished! I have no idea...

And the last one I painted the boy and I asked a friend of mine to repaint the scenery because it looked really awful indeed =P

So... Now you have an idea of what I can and cannot do so far, and I will keep practising every day and posting most days too. I hope you feel it's worth giving me a few minutes of your time and helping me grow. =]]

I'm happy to have joined CA.org =]

xx

Fer

p.s. if the photos I post are somehow too small or appear cropped, you can visit my blog where you'll probably find the same pictures, but bigger =]

Edit: new thumbnail ^^
    Attached Images Attached Images                      
    Last edited by zerosete; January 21st, 2014 at 07:37 PM. Reason: added mild nudity

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Some pencil sketches...
    Sleeping girl was a girl in the aeroplane when I went to Holand on Nov, 27.

Name:  1012762_703151909697360_69674802_n.jpg
Views: 3309
Size:  37.2 KB

Two other girls were during a gesture drawing practise... There was a cool pose of a girl in the tub that I just had to redo with a bit more time =] The other one was 60 seconds.

Name:  1526462_717517911594093_1741445585_n.jpg
Views: 3319
Size:  41.4 KB
    Name:  2013-12-31_00-28-14_693+(1).jpg
Views: 2990
Size:  178.7 KB

Lastly... My feet. Hahaha... I couldn't sleep last night so I just gave up trying for a bit and decided to draw my feet for practise... Though the right one I drew a bit shorter I guess...?

Name:  1601399_718696968142854_1388285382_n.jpg
Views: 2478
Size:  71.1 KB

Also... I apologise for the quality of the pictures... I'm not living at home now, so I've only got the phone camera
    Anyway... Tell me what I should be working on first, my biggest problems or strengths that I should concentrate on! That would be awesome

Hello! I really want to be a good artist... Being a girl who can draw some mediocre things just won't do anymore.
    Can you help me? I want MOARRRR!!

-* Fer

Thanks
    Keep updating Nanda, Keep Updating. =)
    Hi, I'm on my way to be a better artist, please visit my sketchbook and help me with that!

Thanks
    Hi Zerosete!!! Welcome welcome to CA.
    Cool imagination. I need to work on that for myself bweh

Okay for advice: Your first post, gesture drawings...They aren't really gestures per say.
    I noticed you were concentrating on anatomical proportions and that IS NOT the goal of gestures.
    Gestures should be very loose, attempting to capture the motion and the action/purpose of the posture.
    Because you were focused on proportions or something else, they appear very tight and stiff
    Keep that in mind with future gesture practices and it'll only help you ever more

Keep it up!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Welcome to CA!

I think you try to approach this in a way that would take you way longer to learn than it has to.
    For example, you do gesture drawing with lack of anatomical knowledge, which inevitably reduce the amount you learn from it. A suggestion would be to sit down and learn the anatomy correctly, and to simplify the anatomical structure into blocks. "Bridgman's complete guide to drawing from life" by George Bridgman is a huge help in teaching you to simplify the human. And therefore I recommend it.
    Also recommend, "Cyclopedia anatomicae" by György Fehér and András Szunyoghy. Both of these books might be hard to get a hold of, but it is the only books I can recommend because I myself own them and I am very pleased with them.

Another thing is the "spitpaint", which if I have gotten it right is some sort of speedpainting. That is something that would help you once you get better, but right now a better understanding of anatomy, perspective, values, color theory and in general much more experience is needed. That is why you don't know how to finish them, you lack the knowledge and experience. Take your time to study and don't rush it, in the end you should end up understanding what you have done.
    Learn the bones, muscles and so on. When you do different poses, be sure you understand what is happening underneath the skin, if you do not then look it up.

Good luck and have fun drawing, looking forward to see more.

Thanks
    Hey welcome !

I think you need to look these images from the 3d perspective this aways help me a lot to improve =D

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Xizt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey zerosete,

You're off to a good start! I agree with what's been said - you would benefit a lot from studying figure drawing (which really comes before anatomy) and proper ways to approach doing gestures. I'd recommend Proko's YouTube channel for all of this, at least for starters. Just hit up YT and do a search for Proko, then go through all of his videos and work from them. He's a really good teacher of figure drawing and how to do gesture. Then you're ready to get a few books on figure drawing and anatomy, but all that can wait for a while.

Welcome to CA, and keep on keepin' on!
    "Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you so much for the feedback and welcoming messages, guys! It's awesome to finally have some guidance! It's just terrible trying to figure out what to study next by myself cause there are so many things and I realise I've been trying to learn all at once, on the go... It was slowing me down!

@ZakknArt: Thank you, my friend, I will, or I know I'll have to honour our deal, hehe

@Pou: Thank you so much, Pou! That is so true... I hadn't noticed how stiff they looked, I was pleased with the number of drawings I had made and that they didn't just look like a bunch of twisted lines... and I overlooked that major detail. I will definitely give it another go with a different approach... =]
    I loved your sketchbook! Your values are so spot on and you have a wide library of facial features that are beautiful =] I need to broaden mine as well...
    Thank you, you're a sweetheart!

@Lobsk: Yes... So true. I simply don't know how to wrap it all up and make it look like it's all from the same world... How to express my idea in a good way because I don't have the fundamentals etched in my head yet. Thank you for the book suggestions! I already sent a message to an old lady I know that graduated from Fine Arts here in Madrid, she will probably have one of those books to lend me =]
    I guess it is quite slow that I'm learning from spitpainting indeed... But still, it's really inspiring to see the amazing things those people make in half an hour! It's just leaves me gobsmacked! (hehe)
    Thank you!

@Xizt: How do you mean... Like trying to imagine them in an actual 3D space? Can you explain further how you do it, please?

@Darkstrider: Hey =] Thank you! So I should try to get the major shapes flowing first... And then later get to Bridgman? That sounds very doable, sir! That youtube channel is what I'm gonna do tonight then!!
    Hey, I haven't seen a painting of Gina Carano yet... She's so gorgeous, she would've been the first fighter I'd paint
    Last edited by zerosete; January 4th, 2014 at 08:44 PM.

Hello! I really want to be a good artist... Being a girl who can draw some mediocre things just won't do anymore.

-* Fer

Thanks
    ^ Haha! Awesome.. I may get around to Gina Carano, who knows? So many more I'd like to paint but I'm feeling like it's time to move on from the female MMA series though it's something I could always return to happily.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hello =] I've started watching Proko's videos and got a hold of Vilppu and Bridgman, besides some Walt Stanchfield animation materials. I'm also reading some Flooby Nooby composition studies about the Incredibles movie and some things about action lines as well... It's making a lot of things clearer, it's helping me see the logical elements that had always been there and I never took notice of them.

Here are some gesture drawings. I hope these are better than the first ones I posted, these were done in 60 and 90 seconds, I guess this way I thought more of the whole thing instead of the separate parts... I will draw some more today. =]

Name:  010514171259+copy.jpg
Views: 2466
Size:  288.8 KB
    Name:  010514173347.jpg
Views: 2937
Size:  207.1 KB

Also... The people sitting down and chilling are the people who were talking around the house today and yesterday... I just sat talking to them and tried drawing them in a simple way, just capturing their poses before they moved. Later on I added some facial features so that they wouldn't look like manekins, haha
    BUT... As that Proko guy said in one of his videos... If it looks off, it probably is off. Practise, practise...

Name:  994996_719645561381328_1387214343_n.jpg
Views: 2720
Size:  71.2 KB

(Again... Horrible quality... I'll stop drawing with the red pencil until I find a scanner I can use)

Criticise, suggest... Do what you feel like, as long as it's constructive Thanks!
    Last edited by zerosete; January 5th, 2014 at 05:19 PM.

-* Fer

Thanks
    Hey... Painted something inspired by one of the Spitpaint themes for today - Embryo + the fact that I'm watching all of the Alien films this week... *cough cough nerd*

Anyway... Not happy at all with her face and her expression could be better... I was thinking of Ripley's dreams, asking people to kill her because she was gonna give birth to one of them clingy things (haha). =]

And then I was having fun with the top layer changing the blending mode and I loved how dramatic these colours look! Hehehe

-* Fer

Thanks
    Starting with value studies...
    So I went to have lunch at that lady's house today, she's my host's mom and also graduated in Fine Arts in Madrid. If you recall I had asked her if she had an anatomy book I could borrow to study and so she found an old one date back in the 1940's with some interesting material, but I'm afraid it's too theoretical for my taste, I could become a physical therapist after reading that if I survived the hayfever!

Anyway... We started discussing art and she's extremely prejudiced against digital medias. She feels like it's the computer doing everything and that it lacks something, but obviously she hasn't really seen many digital paintings... So I told her I'd show her some amazing things and would also let her try my tablet to see if she'd change her mind... She preffers traditional media and paints some awesome surrealistic and abstract environments... She also does some mean sketching with coloured pencils...

So I told her I'd surprise her. I challenge myself to doing that. And I also asked her for some assignments as homework... So I'm doing +10 value studies and +5 coloured still life studies. This one is a piece of the one I'm doing now, just painting stuff that's lying around on my desk... But it's 3 am, I should sleep =]

-* Fer

Thanks
    Those gestures are much better. One important thing I learned about doing gestures and spit paints etc - unless you already really know what you're doing you should't be going for speed but working on form. Best explanation I've heard about it: it's like drilling in martial arts. You do the moves slowly at first many times to learn the proper form before you do them fast, otherwise you're just training yourself in doing it wrong. And a tip - I always seem to do gestures best after watching Vilppu.

Your digipaints look good.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Her head is too big isn't it?
    Well... This one is from imagination after lunch with the family yesterday, talking at the table. I was mostly trying to remember the lighting from that photo reference I used for the Embryo one.
    I don't like her face... My friend is always telling me I usually draw girls who look like me, so I'm trying not to do that anymore, but it looks so odd...

-* Fer

Thanks
    Looks nice! I really like the last digital painting :D

Her head is indeed a bit big, to confirm your suspicion. What I notice in some of your drawings is that the torsos and limbs are somewhat awkwardly twisted and appear flat. I suggest you try to work on making your drawings look more 3D, and the correct placement and foreshortening. Using boxes and cylinders to construct more complex forms, or using a wireframe method might help you defining the planes in a body. It would show you that in the last drawing her breasts don't align with the amount the torso and shoulders are twisted. I guess looking into loomis and bridgeman would guide you through this. I hope this helped!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast