Sketchbook: Bri - tries to learn digital - Page 5

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Bri - tries to learn digital

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another doodle. Don't know why this came out but it did..... Had to take the people/soul sack out as it disturbed me too much. Maybe I shouldn't work from imagination, it might turn out to be a very scary place...Dunno if I'll go back to it.

Time to watch a Slow Loris video or draw something cute and cleanse myself of the darkness...

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet, full color compositions! Looks great. I like all the pinkish red. Doesn't look that disturbing to me, but I guess I can't see the horrifying version in your head. I agree the imagination can be a terrifying place (in a good way! Or sometimes in a bad way. But sometimes in a good way). If I lived in Zdzislaw Beksinski's head I'd be afraid to ever go to sleep.

I love the little narrative in the last post too. Rather melancholy but sweet.

I had no idea what a slow loris was, and a couple youtube videos later I feel like my life is now richer and more meaningful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Dahlia! Tbh it wasn't that scary in my head. My head is fully of butterlies and fairies Just seemd a bit too darkside for me.
    Jesus I looked at Zdzislaw Beksinski's work! I need some serious 'slow loris time' now! Cute little creatures eh? Shame people feel the need to own one though...

Glad you liked the little narrative, was aiming for sweet but sad! It works out in the end though, he eventually goes with her and they live happily ever after as spirits of the enchanted forest.

Hope Red Rising is going well, tell me if it's good, might order it.

Watched Vikings tonight, holey shit the blood eagle scene was powerful stuff. Might have to do a sketch, I Love the Vikings! Love the music too! Totally miss my long hair and tident beard I've lost touch with my inner Norseman.

So, started doing a landscape study tonight but got bored and turned it into a knight scene! Couldn't decide whether to put floaty blossom stuff in or not. Or whether to put it right or left. Think left or none... Dunno. Might go back to it, not sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow - ok Brian, you seriously need to change the name of your sketchbook!! Maybe Bri has now learned digital lol!! What the hell man… you've been eating your spinach or something!! This much advance just from doing Comp 1.1??!! Geeze, can't wait to see how much ass you kick after a few more levels!! You'll be a working concept artist before you finish level 2!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow bri. that knight drawing is superb! i like the composition and color. Maybe you can put up some process screen shot too so that in the future you can observe how well you've developed

Can be seen carrying sketchbook around nearby bus station.
    Springofsea's Sketchbook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to springofsea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your sketches at the beginning of the thread!! To give you some criticism on the latest digital: The water seriously needs some reflections! The knight looks superb.

Something about the foreground and background isn't quite meshing for me. I don't think there's enough contrast between them, specifically the horse being a bit of an amorphous blob.

The mountains aren't working with the rest of the piece, to my eyes. Specifically the white grungy brush strokes around the tops of the mountains.. It doesn't fit with the far away hazy feel of them.

Hope that helps. I can't wait to see more of your work!

Sketchbook - freakmod wants to learn how to draw really well

10. The Following User Says Thank You to freakmod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW. Great sketchbook, inspiring improvement. Keep it going.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ex-Spectator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great study/knight scene! Love the flag, and the atmospheric distance is really good. Little crit: The proportions of the horse seem off - like the head is too big and the legs are too short relative to the length of the body. Nothing a bit of reference can't fix up.

I'm still just at the beginning of Red Rising, but I'll let you know! Other people seem to review it highly. It's supposedly a lot like Hunger Games if you're into that sort of thing.

Blood-eagle, yeah... Saw that for the first time in a fiction story and thought it was made up for dramatic effect. Nope. Add that to the list of reasons I'm glad I'm alive here and now, haha. Vikings are awesome though, I've been tempted to draw them myself lately.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 886 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have a lot of very impressive drawings! Keep up the good work.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mike butkus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great knight scene Bri. Did you say this started as a study? From a painting, photo or life?

I like the middle one, where the floaty blossom stuff is sort of welcoming the victorious hero home. Or something

The water in this looks particulary good.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agerkvist- Yeah started from a photo. I've never actually done any landscape stuff so trying to get to grips with things like mountains and trees. This summer I'll be doing landscapes from life. Atm doing lot's of experimenting as ideally I'd like to generate really rough ideas and compositions quickly.

Mike Butkus- Thanks man! You're one of my fav artists so what can I say.

Dahlia- Yeah the horse is way wonky. It's actually just a broom shaft with a paper mache head he is riding. Monty Python style
    The Hunger Games has never really appealed to me to be honest, but sci fi on Mars is a different kettle of fishies.
    Yep glad to be alive today for sure. I would no doubt have been crucified, blood eagled or accused of some sort of sorcery by now as would most of us.

Ex-Spectator- Thanks for visiting!

Freakmod- Thanks for the crit, agree with all points. Just learning landscapey stuff atm. All my digital so far is pretty much just messing about learning. My traditional stuff like the drawings in the beginning have been put on hold so I can focus my efforts on digital. Hope to start doing life figures in oil paint in the near future though.

springofsea-Hey thanks for visiting! Your graphic design work is awesome I'll post progress shots at some point if I ever stick with something for more than one day.

Mike- Thanks for the encouragement mate! Still got tons to learn, keep picking up little things though. Like a few days ago I learned how to switch the background colours about using X and use it for quick B/W sketching rather than manually picking/changing values. Think another year and I'll feel more confident with regards to work flow and general digital trickery.

Thanks for all the comments guys, really appreciate you all taking the time.

Had another little mess about with the knight scene. Decided I didn't like it enough to continue, the side view of the knight was really bugging me. Cropped the castle and thought about changing the composition and have an army leaving the castle for battle or something. Also thought about changing the bridge into a really tall one over a waterfall. Ahh no real attachment to it if I'm honest, will probably just move on. Oh yeah the mountains! Dropped some texture in there and then used two rock brushes-one from Jaime Jones and one from another set. Included the initial test that came out looking like some sort of hydro power plant.

A few sci fi silhouettes using pretty much 2 values and the background x button switch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice updated Bri, I have to say that you are catching up quickly with your digital painting skills. Must be all those level up studies. Great stuff.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful sketchbook and very inspiring

23. The Following User Says Thank You to lorehly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet update! Love the silhouettes and the big robot. Impressive little rock sketch for 2 minutes too.
    More!!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dahlia- Thanks! The rock sketch is just a bunch of brush stampiness. Was quite surprised how effective the rocks look though, guess it's good for generating stuff quickly, but no real substitute for studies.

lorehly- Hey thanks for taking the time

Marian- Hey where you been! We are waiting for some more of your awesome traditional stuff!

Few rough doodles. Started with line for a change with one of them, don't know why as it didn't really benefit anything. Really haven't bothered with line work at all since going digital, I'm still mesmerised at making shapes even if they are mostly just black shapes. Will probably still be happily making black blobs for years to come.... Need to spend a few days doing nothing but line work and shake things up a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some rough pencils from reference. Figured I should probably not neglect the traditional side too much, so from now on I'll try and balance both. Painted straight on top of the drawing without cleaning it up which might be considered bad practice but figured it wouldn't matter as it's covered over anyhow. Will go back and finish the study at some point, wanna do more black blob characters! Oh yeah the clavicle is off center in the very first drawing, forgot to fix it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work on those traditional sketches. I definitely would like to see more of that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fantasyartist- Cheers, I'll be doing a lot more traditional stuff now.

Random pencil scribbles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great traditionals! I like how you do the shading. It looks very clean.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff as always Bri.

Last edited by Agerkvist; April 30th, 2014 at 04:58 PM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, appreciate you taking the time.

Got the paints out and had a mess about. 2.5 hours, oil on acrylic. Might do more when there is some natural light. Unfortunately the camera won't pick up some of the colours in this orange artificial light.

Reference from mjranum on DA. He has some great ref pics.

Last edited by Bri in the sky; April 30th, 2014 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went to do more today but 5 mins in had to stop and do something else. Took a pic in daylight though to see the colour comparison. Unfortunately the camera still struggles to pick up the colour in the dark areas, like the shadow under her nose is actually a deep iron red surrounded by greens and blues, as are areas in the eyes. It's a shame because it creates a weird optical effect when looking at it in the flesh, like it's glowing or something... Gonna leave most of it as abstract marks I think, also quite tempted to put stag horns in and a lunar eclipse. I really don't know why I feel the urge to put horns on everything hehe..

Her features are a little squint, might just leave them like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure which I admire most - your digital or your traditional skills.

What are you up to in Level up now?

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man those pencil sketches are looking sweet. And the paintings too. Keep delighting us with more!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Bri despite the camera problems it still looks good. I love the strong drama of the expression. I have problems photographing my work as well and I am trying to save up for some proper lights on stands. I also recently asked Rob Rey here on the forums for tips as his paintings are great and he photographs them so well. In case you don't know of his sketchbook here is a link http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...02#post3809102. Hope it helps and inspires more great works.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet bri! Man, how can you blend the color paint on the face so well? I never worked out with traditional that well!
    This might be late but I really like the big guy concept of your digital (comment #136). The anatomy is well done

Can be seen carrying sketchbook around nearby bus station.
    Springofsea's Sketchbook

43. The Following User Says Thank You to springofsea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agerkvist- Cheers buddy. Been having a break from studies but ready to dive back into the level up.

fantasyartist- Thanks for the kind words

Marian Rowling- Awesome, thanks for the link Marian, will have a good look tomorrow. Ye proper lights on stands would be sweet!

springofsea- Hey Springy You should try oil paint for blending, it is one of the better mediums for soft transitions. As for the big guy, might go back and flesh him out at some point.

Haven't really done much over the last couple of weeks, kinda lost my art mojo. Spent all day yesterday looking at digital artists. So today was more productive, started this motorcylce gurl after looking at the art of Evan Lee and feeling all inspired. The bike is loosely based on the BMW HP4, a truly beautiful machine. Would love to ride one, who knows, maybe one day.

There's also some rough sketches a couple of warm up heads and a Giovanni Boldini colour study. Really love his paintings, quite similar to Sargent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, you're back! Good to see ya. I like the machinegun-bear-man, and I'm interested to see where the red one goes. Good start on the bike too. Something feels a touch off about the perspective though, can't quite figure out what... Maybe her leg is too far forward?

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your traditional pops out, they`re really great! Strong anatomy and lines flow so well, really nice to see these studies!

_QUASAR_

Blog

SKETCHBOOK

48. The Following User Says Thank You to _Quasar_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 886 Posts
    Follows
    Following

50. The Following User Says Thank You to mike butkus For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast