Art: Why Photography!? I'm an (Art Medium) Artist!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Why Photography!? I'm an (Art Medium) Artist!

I was sad to see how barren this section was and thought I would add a small article to bolster it up a bit.

For many artists who have been using a pencil or other mediums to record what they see, there may be a stigma attached to the use of a camera, as if using it would be considered cheating. But why, aside from a myriad of examples of photography as a Fine Art, would a regular artist care about the use of Photography in daily life? I would posit that if nothing else, it is an important building block. Especially with the advent of the digital camera, we can now point, click, and view almost instantaneously. This also enables us to view composition, color, tone, and shadow with the same degree of speed and thus make better decisions as such, faster. So how does this aid the graphite-wielding artist? It allows him or her to improve their eye quickly to recognize the importance of structure, composition, etc. However, I think there may be another overlooked perk to owning a camera: No more scanning the internet for "royalty-free" photos, or fretting over copyright infringement. You can build your very own arsenal of great pictures with a minimal investment. In fact, the camera on most smart phones is more than adequate to capture the most important elements of a future work of art. I included a few of these examples below.

In closing, I would encourage all artists to enlist the help of a camera to assist in improving composition and other elements of their work, as well as to generate a compendium of photos for ideas for future projects.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by RomanRiot; December 28th, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
    "It is ten per cent how you draw, and ninety per cent what you draw. "
    -Andrew Loomis

Check out my sketchbook!

My Profile Albums
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member

Members who have read this thread: 3