anxious about my artist journey

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

anxious about my artist journey

I am 22 years old, I have no background in art and I am not super intelligent. I am already studying creative writing at university which I deeply regret because I really want to be an artist. After my university course I will have no money to study art as I will have used up all of my student loan. I feel like I am way to old to catch up with the rest of the talent that is already in the industry. I draw everyday mind you and I have seen some progressing in my work but I am very worried that might not get to where I want to be. It's embarrassing to say this but I want to be a concept artist or I would like to be a character designer for games. Is there any point for me trying?

I Just want to here some comforting words to keep me motivated really.
    Thanks for reading

Last edited by Letmar; December 28th, 2013 at 09:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yes. Try MOAR. Strong harder.

There IS a point; if it's where you honestly want to be in life - but like anything will require loads of hard work. Hours rendering the 'boring' stuff (I recommend putting on good music when doing this, so at least you aren't frying your brain) - and trying to find your preferred technique or genre (which is LOADS OF FUN and always open to change).

Where would you say you are, as an artist? What are your strengths, so far, and your weaknesses? When I first started out, my strengths were detail and lineweight, but I was balls at proportion and couldn't color the broad side of a barn.

when all,s said and done the message is clear
    it,s lonely as king in the kingdom of fear
    [:amon26]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    If you're ready to take this seriously, then post some work, and we'll take it from there.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Regardless of being anxious that a mere 22 years old is somehow "too late" to start something, which is ridiculous... don't compare yourself to others. Compare yourself now to your past skill.

If you are serious about it, get some pencils and printer paper, and start practicing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,211 Posts
    By your reasoning, everyone who is a child right now has to give up on drawing because there's no way they can catch up to someone who's 20 years old now. How far you get is dependent on how hard you work, and somewhat on how lucky you are.

You might want to think about your goals and reasons before making any hard and fast plans, though.

- Have you researched this field? Have you talked to game artists and have a fairly good idea about what actual work in this field is like?

- Concept artist is not an entry-level position and there's a lot of competition for the work that there is. How are you planning to make yourself useful to game companies while you gain the skills and experience you need to design things?

- Are you going to lose interest in this a couple of years when you discover that doing something for a hobby is a lot less stressful than having to do it for a living? You must have liked creative writing at some point and yet you have lost interest in it. There may be legitimate reasons for switching, but just as easily you may have become disillusioned with the reality of writing every day. I'm not there so I don't know -- but you should know, so that you quit the things you ought to quit but don't jump around from job to job looking for some magic nonexistent job that's going to be ponies and rainbows all the time.

- Are you doing this because you like to play games and have a rather naïve idea that making games must be just as fun as playing them? Do you want to do this because you think it will look impressive to other people?

These are questions you probably want to answer for yourself before you decide to dedicate your life to concept art.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanks Leaky Oven for your words of wisdom. Although I have all these insecurities inside I will not give up because I enjoy it too much. I am crap at proportion too but I will definitely tackle it in the not so distance future. Right now I am working on the anatomy and I feel like I am making progress

Thanks
    Thanks TASmith I will give it a go

Thanks
    Thanks for you kind words. You are right I need to stop thinking about what other are saying arenhaus

Thanks
    I think you are very right vineris I need to be realistic about my choices in my career. I have done a bit of research in concept and I am aware of how hard it will be and I am aware of the competition. But I love to draw, it makes me happy and I am making a lot of progress. I have never really taken creative writing as seriously as I take my art studies. There wasn't and serious passion. I've always wanted to be any artist but I was ignorant and thought you have to be born with the talent. So it took me a while to realise that art is not just a talent but it is also a skill. When I wake up in the morning and I am excited to study the skills that it takes to be an artist.

Maybe I should take a step back and work on my skills before I take any drastic decisions. Again thank you

Members who have read this thread: 7