Sketchbook: Hanabyra's Daily Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hanabyra's Daily Sketchbook

Hey So this is mainly to get better at art and connect with other people!! Critique is much appreciated ♥ Thank you.

Icon here laterr. See Post 2 for artwork.

Last edited by hanabyra; January 3rd, 2014 at 04:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some finished art. If you have any critique I would really appreciate hearing it Thank you!

Name:  decomposing towers_CA.png
Views: 89
Size:  1.15 MBName:  badconnection_CA.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  247.1 KBName:  wanderlust_CA.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  349.9 KBName:  subservience_CA.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  320.0 KB

Last edited by hanabyra; December 21st, 2013 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good!
    The lighting on the one with the tiger is beautiful, and the rendering on the top half of the figure is great. The tiger itself seems to be lacking structure though, but that's something that happens quite easily when painting fur. It's usually best to get the basic values down before worrying about texture.
    Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Ethnax! I'll do some value studies and focus on anatomy.

Gesture drawings today, most of them 30 secs and the rest 45 or 60 secs. It took me a while to get into the groove of them, but now they're really fun I'm aiming for more precision, economy of line, and accurate anatomy. I'm going to try to do these daily!

Name:  figuredrawings.png
Views: 56
Size:  710.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice Lights in the piece of the tiger! Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the lights in the tiger picture!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethnax View Post
    Looking good!
    The lighting on the one with the tiger is beautiful, and the rendering on the top half of the figure is great. The tiger itself seems to be lacking structure though, but that's something that happens quite easily when painting fur. It's usually best to get the basic values down before worrying about texture.
    Keep posting!
    Dido. Love the lighting. Specifically the hair, nose area. as well as the semitransparent sleeve revealing the arm. And it looks like your figures are headed the right direction. keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all for the compliments on the tiger picture! The lighting was all done from a ref photo, so I can't take much credit from it.

Just returned from a vacation, so I hadn't drawn in a while. Did a lot of gestures today, looked through amazing sketchbooks and got all fired up to practice more.

A week ago, I sketched a car on my iPad while at Starbucks (I felt very artist-y). It took a long time and the colors aren't accurate; I'll be doing color studies later:
    Name:  Untitled artwork.png
Views: 45
Size:  406.2 KB

Some of today's gestures I started drawing from my arm, not my wrist and it resulted in much looser lines:
    Name:  figures11.png
Views: 76
Size:  1.06 MBName:  figures22.png
Views: 70
Size:  1.10 MB

Life drawings of my face. I'm frustrated with drawing things, but not understanding the form beneath. Maybe I should study skulls?:
    Name:  sketchess.png
Views: 148
Size:  206.7 KB

The only anatomy book I've read is by Hampton; I really like the way he breaks things down. I need to find more good resources, though. Also, while his drawings are great, I like seeing muscles in movement/photos of what I'm studying. Does anyone know any photos that break down muscle groups?

Last edited by hanabyra; December 31st, 2013 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew Loomis is a good one to look at. 'Figure Drawing, for all it's worth'. I've literally flicked through it but it seems to have a different approach to Hampton, so it make be worth having a look.

I think your gestures are developing well. The looseness of your line work expresses the figures, so keep drawing with that arm of yours!

I've always found anatomy to be a slow fundamental to tackle, working between quick gestures, muscle/bone structure analysis, and applying those within longer studies. If you get a chance to do some life-drawing it will be great experience. I was also recommended the site 'Pixelovely' that is a good online emulation of life drawing.

Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't done much, but getting in gear for the new year. Even when school break ends I want to be more productive, do more studies, learn more!! I'll do daily studies. I realized that it's quality over quantity; MORE studies doesn't equal more knowledge. Instead, I can do less studies and take less hours, but really THINK when I'm drawing and push myself.

My ultimate goal is to be able to create photorealistic paintings from imagination, so I'll understand reality. Then I'll be able to twist it into any style I want. Subset goal is to give my paintings more story, more meaning.

I'm in Noah's Art Camp. Been on Week 1 for a loooooong time. Some color studies:

Name:  conceptart color studies.png
Views: 33
Size:  246.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More Noah's Art Camp stuff... totally inaccurate colors on still lifes........ working on it, though! I'm focusing on capturing the light.

Name:  week3study.png
Views: 23
Size:  605.7 KBName:  week3banananana.png
Views: 24
Size:  196.8 KBName:  isitapearornot.png
Views: 21
Size:  596.5 KB

Members who have read this thread: 14