Any feedback is welcomed, thank you in advance!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Any feedback is welcomed, thank you in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Any feedback is welcomed, thank you in advance!

This is what I have so far. I feel there are many things I did wrong in this, but
    because I'm working from more than one reference (not painting a photo) I am not
    sure how to fix it. Looking at more clothes, folds, anatomy, etc didn't help so far..

Name:  digi105v1.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  187.5 KB

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay number one thing, paint what you dont see. It doesn't matter if his arms are going behind her, paint them as if she wasn't there. In fact, paint the guy completely, and the same goes for the girl.
    If using references, make sure they all have the same horizon line, so that they don't have completely different vanishing points. Draw perspective lines, try to think in shapes rather than flat surfaces. Draw the squeletton taking perspective into account. Your legs were completely out of proportion because you've overly exagerated perspective. Build a strong simplified structure.
    Another thing you need to do is define a light source and stick to it. Use values to show the shadows and lights, though avoid using too much pure white and black. Lights can be used to show the structure you built previously and make sure everything is correct.
    As for clothes, you won't be able to make them even remotely realistic without a proper light source. References help too, especially for understanding more complex fabrics like satin.

I needed an excuse not to study my thermodynamics so here you go :

Name:  overpaint.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  182.3 KB

Note that this is simply a suggestion of how you should fix things and not everything has been fixed. I wasn't sure where you wanted the light source to come from so I just picked one randomly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the construction tips! I will take those in mind and work some more on it.
    As for the light source, I wanted it to be behind them and from the left side of the canvas.

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that you should consider practicing a little bit more on how to do line-arts and basic drafts right.
    I see that you are going for "linless" style which I also like a lot! but right now your characters are kind of blur and it's hard to catch all the details and I guess that it is also hard for you to draw the characters like you want.

I'm going to give you a link to youtube, an artist is drawing in a style that I think would give you a lot of inspiration and direct you correctly to what you are after:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Z2V1FDBK8
    it would be easier for you to color and place your light and shadow if you draw a first draft like in this video.

I don't say that you can't draw without a first draft! but I consider it as a very unique technique and I know of a few artists that actually draw that way like you can see here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=893FgGUBsHY

I think that from now on you should think of what your characters want (physically), I see that you have a problem with drawing the dress for example:
    Use gravity. Always think that your characters want to give up to gravity, that is why:
    Name:  digi105v1.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  39.3 KB

Just love the world and it will love you back!!
    And if it doesn't... Well...You can always make the perfect plan of destroying it!

Members who have read this thread: 30