CHOW #342 :: Santa's Shop Manager - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CHOW #342 :: Santa's Shop Manager

Noun is offline Saving... Do not turn off the Power. Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    stinkypanda: Kind of prefer the head shape before you started over, this one's sort of veering away from humanoid elf into animal territory. I like the overall shape of the head, but it might be the ears... something about the way they're curled down, or something. It just feels a bit too far off compared to your previous concepts. Those bionic glasses should stay though, really nice.

W!L: Nice, like the shape of the belt you chose. Something about that oversized buckle is just cool.

pheonix561: Yeah, if you're worried about the position of the arm, it might help to get a friend (or use a mirror yourself) to see how an arm would really look in that manner. It kind of sounds like you weren't sure how the joints would turn and had trouble getting it right. Other than that, I'm not feeling the Christmas yet. Maybe the costume needs hints of red here and there or something resembling ornaments. You could probably still fit the badge on one of the apron straps if you decide to stick with this pose/costume.

tylerfontes: Awesome energy in those lines. Really like the upper right. The yellow hardhat is a bit too 'foreman' (although technically I guess that's not too different than a manager haha). Just really like that pose and expression, looks like he's been doing his job for so long that he pretty much knows how to keep the entire workshop under control.

andartarius: Really like the warm colors you used in this. Feels like an actual Christmas card. Pose looks a bit too much like he's prepped for battle rather than a workshop manager, but the twin wrenches are cool.

Wigerio: Great stuff. The wrapped gift is a really nice touch.

Ironbyte: I'm liking the traditional cone hat on #1, the goggles and apron from #2, and the walking cane from #3, adds a sort of regal or even pompous air to the character.

ded: Love this, keep at it. I like how the belt is also a sort of backpack, great solution for having a bunch of tools readily available. Having trouble designing the belt, myself.

Bjulvar: Wow, so different than the other entries. Right now I'm getting warrior more than manager, though. I wonder if you could add some minor elements of professionalism somewhere? Just to convey that he has some rank over the other elves. Not that he needs a necktie and dress slacks; I feel like your character isn't afraid to get on the same level of his subordinates to get something done right. But it feels like it still needs some clear sign of his position.

ilias-saili: Love the tool pouch on the belt; the glasses are a nice touch of "boss lady" as well. I see what looks like a sketch of blueprints in one hand, I'm hoping you'll include that in the final pose. Can't wait to see what sort of badge you come up with.

Pairofdice: Nice! I like how we can actually see him working on something. Maybe make it a little more clear what the something is, though, kind of looks like a basketball? Not sure. If possible I might alter the pose just a little, lower the arms so we can see the badge on his chest. Also, if his ears are going to be normal we probably need to see some other aspect that identifies him as an elf.

Decided to give this one a go, exploring some costumes. Having trouble with the tool belt design.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @noun: Yeah I´ll probably go back to my first idea but I´m still trying to come up with something more original. Awesome sketches btw. Hard to pick a favorite. Bottom left is the coolest IMO but he doesn´t really feel like a Christmas elf. But that could be a good thing!

Name:  elffffff.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  216.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol. Noun, I love all of those!

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

Visit my website for additional info. www.mjdstudios.com
    “If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Noun View Post
    pheonix561: Yeah, if you're worried about the position of the arm, it might help to get a friend (or use a mirror yourself) to see how an arm would really look in that manner. It kind of sounds like you weren't sure how the joints would turn and had trouble getting it right. Other than that, I'm not feeling the Christmas yet. Maybe the costume needs hints of red here and there or something resembling ornaments. You could probably still fit the badge on one of the apron straps if you decide to stick with this pose/costume.
    You're definitely right about the pose, and the lack of christmas. I think it doesn't show that much right now because I was planning for there to be red and green throughout the vest and tools, it's something that will be that much more present in the final piece. It's part of why I chose to give her a red monkey wrench. And I want to put festive embroidery/badges sewn onto it in place of a pin, though I could always do both. I'm glad you could tell that's where I was going to put the badges. Also, out of your sketches, I gotta say my favorite has to be the nutcracker one. It's actually a really clever idea, I'm surprised we haven't seen more of that yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Noun glad you like it, I'm going with the blueprints also need to sketch a bit on the festive badge which I think is the most challenging part.
    Also I really love your designs, they are all so expressive and well designed.
    My favourites are the two middle ones, I wish I had made mine as lively as yours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Charlie
    I used to have him crouching at a small table but then I didn't like the silhouette.
    He's a stylish Christmas Elf who is into all little people toys (children).
    I'm worried about showing that he is taller than regular elves, I don't know if it is coming across?
    Anyway I like Charlie, I'll give him more detail when I go over his third pass.

Name:  elfmanager2.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  35.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    still trying new things
    Name:  elff.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  184.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my rough scribble for Charlie.

I see his badge more like a military decoration, not the cheap looking plastic badge i see on most of the others concepts. just a round badge doesn't look very formal or official. I was initialy going for a decorated brooch but will stick to the chest badge to stay straight to the rules ^^
    Besides the tools I want him to have human sized buttosn on his clothes, to help visualising his scale. (i will need to downsize the buttons, and the toy a bit too, Sophie (a chewing toy for babies) is a quite smaller toy in reality)
    Also got his left foot wrong, it look weird.

I was mostly inspired by the elfs of Arthur Rackam.

I will comment your works later guys, as far as you are I really like the Ded's design with his modern and young looking elf. The use of a hood like santa is also quite funny/smart.

Last edited by Domergue; December 27th, 2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: color test wip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just registered so I could contribute to this challenge. Hope I'm not too late for feedback .

There's some really nice concepts already here. Mongrelcat's tools and Noun's personalities are my favorite. I don't know if I'm alone with this, but most characters don't have the manager vibe to them... Except for Tylerfontes' stuff, can't get anymore manager than that XD.

Here's my Charlie, not quite happy with her yet. Not enough elvish or something else...
    Name:  santasShopManager.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  135.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,
    I'm new to this but am excited about these challenges. This is my first sketch of Charlie.
    Name:  Charlie 1.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  101.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My girlfriend came up with this awesome idea of an elf eating elf manager. He eats them when they are slacking on their job or whenever he gets hungry, which is quite often hence the little ear snacks on his belt.

Name:  Charlie 2.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  88.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Its my first time participating in a contest here so i shall do my best Name:  CHOW#342_wip_01.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  90.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update of my progress.
    I've started too fast and lost myself with the lighting. Will have to redo some stuff to make it match. Crap : S

Hope i will manage to finsh it by tomorow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    test post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm throwin' something in, I just read about this about an hour ago, and admittedly, this topic really isn't my cup of tea.
    None the less I'm very out of practice so I'll throw in my doodle completely for giggles.

Name:  shopGirl 01.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  307.3 KB
    Name:  shopGirl 02.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  509.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some color,
    sorry I'm trying to draw this on my phone, it's still a little awkward...

Name:  shopGirl 03.jpg
Size:  551.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rough sketch

I don't intend on entering as I'm new to drawing and wont have enough time. I just saw this yesterday .
    Had a funny Idea and drew something up quick. Not refined in any means.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok that's it for me... I'm losing heart on this one...

Name:  shop_girl_4_by_mamasio-smaller.jpg
Size:  270.5 KB

great stuff everyone, I'll see you on the next one...

ded : love it man...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone! These are my very brief initial sketches for this one. I probably won't take any of these to completion, but who knows?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't find the finals thread. Meanwhile... I'll comment some of your posts and ask for feedback :P

@ilias-saili: I love your lineart. Those glasses are really nice and gives her a lot of personality. Don't forget she has to look taller.
    @Domergue: I like his smoking pipe, and how you show his scale compared to a human's. The first thing you can do to fix his foot is mirror your drawing to make errors more evident, making his left leg more thick and his left foot bigger may help to fix it. Don't waste time in a background, they are not allowed, you can use simple shapes though.
    @Hartsitikru: Nice concepts, I like his big hat but be careful with that cuz it would make her look really small and you want do the opposite, that welding tool is great. Nice choice with the badge, try to simplify those symbols so it can be read in a smaller resolution. I'm glad you liked my manager's tools :P
    @Hank Stamper: Your elf is really creepy, I like it, does he have little ears on his belt too? lol. Showing him eating another elf shows his scale pretty well :P
    @ch103: Welcome! I would like to see a final of that, he looks like a tough boss with a "secret" kind/childish side, pretty nice.
    @JayZii: I hope you can finish one of them, I like the 3rd one :P

My first sketch bored me so I decided to change some things. It's pretty much finished, but I can't decide his hair color. The last one has a lot of warm colors, but I still like it. Help! :P

Name:  elf4.png
Views: 139
Size:  239.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @mongrelcat: Awesome stuff I think I like the one the right the most (color wise). Perhaps make the handle of the hammer a bit longer so we can see the other end between his legs, to break the tangent

I really need to stick to something now
    Name:  elf done.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  220.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've fixed the head a bit. Glad to have an extra day to do it ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be moving onto the next CHOW topic, but here's the direction I was thinking:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    need to get rid of the line art now,
    cool stuff here!

Name:  elfdone.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  233.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, I'll never finish it in time!

Last edited by Domergue; January 3rd, 2014 at 02:04 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 237