Cheap and Capable Computer?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Cheap and Capable Computer?

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but my head spins every time I try to look for a new computer on my own. I think the most intensive thing I want to do is be able to use Photoshop + Livestream + Skype or at least just Photoshop and Livestream. My last computer was technically above the minimum requirements for it, but still crashed after like 5 seconds on the lowest quality. Ugh.

Laptop or Desktop, I don't really care, whichever is cheaper. Anyone have recommendations?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    A destop PC is always more powerful for less money.
    What is your max budget and do you still need a monitor / screen, mouse & keyboard and the other things?

- Lukas

Thanks
    Give us your max budget and your preference of desktop vs laptop.

Do you require portability, would you like to take a laptop with you to meetings, work, school, the cafe down the road... Whatever it is you do?

OR...

Would you prefer a desktop setup which is inevitably more powerful and user upgradable?
    Do note that with a laptop you can usually still be able to connect an external monitor via VGA/DisplayPort/HDMI/ect so you can still set it up as if it were a desktop setup.

If you get a desktop, are you happy to pick parts to build it (or have it build for you by family,friends, pay someone)or would you prefer to just pick a pre-build one?
    Do you require a monitor/mouse/keyboard?

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Thanks
    THis is easy to answer-
    a budget would be nice but this is as cheap as one can go.

It is mostly ram- I recommend at least 6GB ram, 8GB is preferable.
    ----------
    You can build your own PC for several hundred dollars less than one bought in a store and it is easy too! (most of that stuff is click in place and go)

my PC was 600 from a store and it is crap...for 550 I built one that is much more powerful and can multitask "like a boss"
    65 tabs open? no probelem, FTP server, minecraft server, playing minecraft, nope
    all at the same time + drawing: oh hell yesss...
    ---------- ---------- ----------
    IF YOU WANT A GOOD LAPTOP --- the I recommend getting an ASUS K55n refurbished and upgrading the ram to 8GB
    You don't have upgrad the ram immediately, but doing it later one will make things a lot faster. http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...131215215310:s

or you can get a strait used one...http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._computer.html
    it's almost $100 cheaper but I don't do that normally. it's the same laptop and you would save more to upgrade the ram.

now about the ram: the AMD A8 is a FAST processor with the GPU built in, HOWEVER this GPU uses system ram quite a bit- good fast ram will drastically improve performance
    this laptop uses 204pin ram DON"T BUY RAM SPECIFIC FOR THIS LAPTOP that is a scam and any 204pin ram will work.

these are the bast bang-for-your-buck ram modules http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231707

When you get a PC you have to make sure you get things that work together, you may be tempted to get cheap parts but you pay for it in the end when it stops working...

Thanks
    oh- and if want a desktop I can give you a build list of about $400

You can't build agood computer for any cheaper...

EDIT:
    I don't think the laptop info made it through, a laptop that is almost the same as the desktop (tiny bit slower) would run you $450

Last edited by JeremyB796; December 15th, 2013 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks
    Iiii really would rather not have to deal with building my own computer. Sounds way too scary and technical even though I hear a lot about the ratio of cost to performance, it sounds way too stressful. Plus, if I have to keep a log of parts or order them, there's a large chance that the package could go to other people/never arrive. (Our mail has been a mess lately)

Desktop it is! I rarely do anything intensive away from home. I think my budget would be about $400-$600?

I plan on getting a 10 inch Yiynova too if I can, if that makes a difference.

Thanks
    The next question then is where do you live?

Is the Yiynova included in that $400-600?

Do you already have a mouse/keyboard?

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Thanks
    NYC. The yiynova is being saved for seperatley, I already have a tablet to use as a mouse but I will need a keyboard.

Members who have read this thread: 5