2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile 2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv

Thanks to emily g and Signature( I still want to respond to your questions from earlier) for the responses on the previous thread.http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27259

Per their suggestions here's some other work from a different approach. PLEASE, any advice on directions to head, books, teachers, dvds, practice regimin, technique is most welcome! I'm not in art school, and don't really have any teachers or mentors so this is a wonderful opportunity Thanks so much.

60 seconds[IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]
    2 minute[IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]
    30-40 minutes? I don't remember[IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]
    imagination/life[IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]
    imagination[IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]
    imagination/memory[IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]
    At the mall[IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]
    Big Cats from life[IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]
    Kangaroos from life[IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]
    Elephants from life[IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]
    complete fabrication(herbivore)[IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]
    another fabrication[IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]
    and another[IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]
    Mom's dog The Boobers[IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]
    Finally, a few sketchbook pages with various approaches I'm trying to develop.[IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]
    [IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG] [IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]
    [IMG]2nd thread: construction, gestures and sketchbook, vv[/IMG]

Thanks for taking the time to look. Please let me know what you think.

Adios,

Smith

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Smith. You seem to have covered all the bases here. For learning that is. You're drawing your learning base from life, books, imagination and the support of other artists. It's nice to see someone learning the real life anatomy of animals before going into imaginary ones. This is a smart move on your part. Not everyone does that here. You're also covering values and human anatomy. Something I don't see is, backgrounds and scenery, trees, building, etc. You might want to add them to your list of things to learn, just to round out your artistic abilities. Also, have you tried color yet?
    Keep up the good work. You have some nice stuff here and I think you're well on your way to becoming a very good artist.

Art gives me a life of extreme challenge, frustration, accomplishment and contentment. Nothing less will do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for posting these. The figure gestures are very nice. The ones in the top pic have good movement to them and ones in the 2nd pic are starting to show some nice structure. I like the sketches done at the mall--keep doing those.
    The animal drawings are great. This is exactly what you need to be doing. When you understand how the animals are constructed, you can draw and invent animals from your imagination (which I see you have done).
    My two must-have books are:
    The Art of Animal Drawing by Ken Hultgren (at Amazon.com for $10) and
    Figure Drawing For All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis (can be printed off from www.saveloomis.org)
    Though from the looks of your dog sketches, you may already own the animal book.

Keep it up. You're doing great.
    emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice. Your 60 sec and 2 mins gesture and the animal pieces are good. Your pieces from your imagination seems to take a backseat when sitting next to your life study works....that's just my opinion.

Keep up the good work...looks great!!

looking forward to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thank you Emily g, Tengu, and Nikia. I very much appreciate your input. I am taking it all in and hope to post some work sometime in the near future. My computer just "blew up" so I have to pay Kinkos for this privilege for the time being.

I've done a very little in color(see previous posthttp://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27259) I am also working on a portfolio for Architectural rendering(hope to get some $$ for my efforts) That color stuff is soooo very interesting, and intricate, lots to learn. There seems to be many approaches to paint/color!!!Any good books on it??? Question: I've done some work in marker and oil. Oils take a lot of time and can be $$$$ marker has it's limitations. Are there any major disadvantages to learning in digital, say Painter or Photoshop. Digital is the direction I want to go with my painting anyway(I think Yes, I have neglected the scenery for the most part. Thank you, I'll start taking notice!!

Yes I'll keep doing the mall work(or wherever I can find something interesting) More focus on construction will commence immediately!Yes, I have the Hultgren book-wonderful work in that one! I also like Weatherly and Vilppu's stuff.Very helpful. Thanks for the FYI on the loomis book. I can't wait to print it(when I get the computer back)

A quick answer to Signature 8
    I dont' have a "formal" education. I've pieced together what I can from books, a few workshops, some internet lessons, and videos, especially videos!
    Yes, the sole of the boot was mangled/worn down. These are my workboots. I've had them a long time and still use them! Those Cats are indestructible.
    As for direction, that's far more complicated. I won't go into all of it but right now I'm putting together a port. for Arch. rendering in pen/watercolor and starting a drafting/design degree at a local Com. college(a real job).as well as putting together a Jazz band for corporate gigs. Oh yea, I have a lunch gig at a restaurant. I'm pretty busy. What I'd like is not what I can have(Art education at a leading institution or atelier) But a short list of some of my favs are Rembrandt, Velasquez, Bougerue sp?Rockwell, Justin Sweet, Imphead, Seegmiller, Android,and I like what Mike Mayhew is doing in comics.
    I don't know what I want to do??? I'm just trying to be a responsible member of society/pay my bills and not HATE my job!!!!

Well, a sincere thanks again to you guys and I hope to post again soon. LOL.

Smith

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, have you seen Seegmiller's Painter book? He's coming out with new version of it that teaches you how to do the same stuff, but in Photoshop. He's really good with color.

Regarding digital painting vs. traditional painting:
    I think the person who learns to paint traditionally first then moves to the computer afterwards always has an advantage over someone who starts learning in the computer. There are a couple of reasons I feel this way:
    1. When painting traditionally, you are forced to mix your own colors. There is no handy color wheel where you can pick any color you want. You will learn how to neutralize a color by mixing it with its complement, and other such things. Those are skills a digital painter may never be forced to learn.
    2. You learn how real paint feels and what real brushstrokes look like. This will help you add those little "painterly" touches to your digital work.
    3. The traditionally trained artist usually adapts pretty easily to working digitally, while the digitally trained artist may have a hard time going traditional. The computer makes some things easier, and the digital painter may feel a little lost without their "crutches." The traditional painter will view the "crutches" as a pleasant bonus, but they won't be tied to them.

One advantage that the computer has is that it's fast and mess-free. This makes it easy for a beginner to do lots of experiments. But I'm still glad I know how to mix my own colors!

emily

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.