Thanks

If you could become the artist you've wanted to be this very moment, would you?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    yeah sure as soon as I figure out what kind of artist I've always wanted to be.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    yeah sure as soon as I figure out what kind of artist I've always wanted to be.
    Well, I suppose nobody exactly knows.

But, as I am myself I have a vision of what I want to be able to accomplish. Even if the dream is vague, I still strive towards it.

But, to answer my own question - I wouldn't.

If you asked me 1 month ago, I would've said yes. But, as I practice and practice, I start to enjoy the process of creating a picture - even though I'm disappointed with the end result.

I wouldn't feel accomplished. I believe accomplishment is satisfaction returned to you disguised as hard work. Without the leading-up to the accomplishment, it wouldn't be significant. It needs to mean something to you.

I was playing a game this week, and it's an MMO. Basically all you do in it is kill monsters and they drop items. 99% of the time they drop complete trash, nobody even bothers to pick them up. So I asked to myself, if they're useless, why are they in the game? And the answer was clear, it's to emphasize the importance of the more rare items. If these trash items weren't in the game, the rare items would be trash. If everyone had the same super epic items, they wouldn't be so epic anymore. If you got those epic items the second you started the game, you wouldn't feel the joy of getting them after 100 hours of grinding.

Anyways, moral of the story is... I don't know, make up your own. Anyway, it's really late and I'm still rambling.

Well, that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by aquse; December 12th, 2013 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Well I've always wanted to become a fully self-supporting artist so... yes. Absolutely. I can easily think of new goals to try for after my bank account is full.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    I'd rather win the lottery, so that I could spend more time becoming the artist I want to be.

Thanks
    Absolutely. Because I know after two weeks i would discover a million more things I could improve. That's the best part of being an artist, its an endless evolution of ability and knowledge. So the big jump would simply improve my pay quite a bit and that would be great.
    ANDREWS WEBSITE I am available for work
    REIGN OF THE GODS strategic fantasy warfare board game

Thanks
    Yes.
    Seriously, why not?
    I would be good enough to earn a somewhat liveable income, or maybe good enough to live comfortably and independently of my art. That would be more than good - It would be awesome!
    And I would still like my own art the week after its done, let alone, I'd actually finish my projects and not abandon them halfway trough.

Thanks
    Duh! Save tens of thousands of practice hours in a heart beat? Heck yea
    -We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 797 Posts
    If you could become the artist you wanted to be right now, but you would also instantly age to 50, would you? You'd be able to draw/paint/sculpt at an amazing level, but you'd lose years of your life (assuming you're not currently 50 or older) to obtain that skill.

Thanks
    Yeah I just wish everything was handed to me and never had to struggle or have to learn anything that would be so easy and awesome I love when things are easy sometimes I start to cry if things get too challenging

Thanks
    Many times the journey is more important than the end result, so I probably wouldn't want to just be magic-wanded all the abilities I'd like to have. By practicing and earning it you never know what you will discover. Some things not even about art!

Thanks
    I'm a bit surprised with the yes answers. To be an artist don't you have to enjoy the learning process?

Thanks
    The artist I want to be can pay his own way and has job security, so yeah.
    But I guess you were thinking a little more philosophically. "Would you want to be a magnificent artist without putting the work in?", I would say no, on instinct, because I assume you couldn't feel pride in your work, because you didn't earn it. But no one's ever been a fantastic artist without putting the hours in, so we can't really know how good it feels.
    Please look at my Sketchbook

Thanks
    What is the destination without the journey?
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Portfolio | dA | Facebook |

Thanks
    a decisive no from me. maybe when i was younger my answer might've been different but, id much rather earn any skill i have through trial and error, struggles, victories & failures. id imagine anything just given to me would ultimately feel hollow and really wouldn't be mine anyway.

Thanks
    No, If i had it instantly. I would end up taking it for granted.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 626 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by aquse View Post
Well, I suppose nobody exactly knows.

But, as I am myself I have a vision of what I want to be able to accomplish. Even if the dream is vague, I still strive towards it.

But, to answer my own question - I wouldn't.

If you asked me 1 month ago, I would've said yes. But, as I practice and practice, I start to enjoy the process of creating a picture - even though I'm disappointed with the end result.

I wouldn't feel accomplished. I believe accomplishment is satisfaction returned to you disguised as hard work. Without the leading-up to the accomplishment, it wouldn't be significant. It needs to mean something to you.

I was playing a game this week, and it's an MMO. Basically all you do in it is kill monsters and they drop items. 99% of the time they drop complete trash, nobody even bothers to pick them up. So I asked to myself, if they're useless, why are they in the game? And the answer was clear, it's to emphasize the importance of the more rare items. If these trash items weren't in the game, the rare items would be trash. If everyone had the same super epic items, they wouldn't be so epic anymore. If you got those epic items the second you started the game, you wouldn't feel the joy of getting them after 100 hours of grinding.

Anyways, moral of the story is... I don't know, make up your own. Anyway, it's really late and I'm still rambling.

Well, that's just my opinion.

So the artist that you want to be is someone who presses a button and then have instantly finished art?

See, the artist that you want to be is a problem-solving hardworking son of a bitch. That's a state of mind and made up habits, not somewhere throughout the progression timeline. The artist that you want to be, is an artist you can become at any point. You can become that right now.
You still have to work hard and problem solve and try to improve, even if you have jumped to the advanced tiers of picture-making. The process will still be there as well as the failures. They will look different, but they will still be there.

Thanks
    I can say for sure that after joining the army, my perspective towards art and my life in the future (or my life at this specific moment) changed completely compare to the past me.
    Maybe if I were some high school brat I would have said "wow if only I could just wake up one day with this great talent some people in this big vast world has". But I graduated and faced the truth- if you don't drink the dirty water, if you don't eat the mud and if you don't breath the dusted air you would never appreciate and worship the mountain you are climbing.

Just love the world and it will love you back!!
    And if it doesn't... Well...You can always make the perfect plan of destroying it!

Thanks
    So the artist that you want to be is someone who presses a button and then have instantly finished art?
    Just to clarify, it sounds to me that aquse said the exact opposite:
    But, as I practice and practice, I start to enjoy the process of creating a picture
    No one would enjoy "easy", no-risk, no-toil results in the long run, it wouldn't be satisfying.

But to answer the question: The artist I want to be is the one I am now, only better. So if I could have some magical instant-improvement right away, why, yes! I'll gladly take it! However, it wouldn't change my approach to drawing, there would be still tricky problems to solve, there would be still a ton to learn, new ways to see, and so on.

• Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.