General Chat - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: General Chat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a good method for this which wont work for everyone, its called anti-motivation. After school I spend some time chatting or doing something else useless and then we have dinner, after dinner I go to my room and then I can do 3 things. 1. Watch some series/youtube. 2. Make my homework. 3 Draw. I know from watching youtube I won't learn anything important so thats scratched. And then I have the choice between drawing or making my homework, this is where anti-motivation kicks in. Making homeworks is so boring I'd rather draw even though I'm not motivated at all. Because for me drawing is like studying, I want to become a concept artist so whenever I draw 2 hours it feels like I just studied math for instance, for 2 hours. And when I'm really demotivated which doesn't happen often I'll watch youtube videos and series which isn't to bad once in a while. So I guess this only works for people that can study their brains out when it comes to exam weeks, get out of angry teachers because you never make your homework and who got free time in the nights after a day of school.

So that's probably not that many people, but you asked what I do to keep motivated and that's it.

Ma Sketchbook brings all the girls to the forums, damn right its worse than yours.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Kessel View Post
    1. Watch some series/youtube. 2. Make my homework. 3 Draw.
    That. But replaced with:

1. Draw
    2."I have another 2 weeks to do this so no worried. oh hey check out this site..."

Usually end up picking the bottom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmmm I dont have any advice regarding that

Ma Sketchbook brings all the girls to the forums, damn right its worse than yours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Other than unlearn to do that, no helping it. Should go away when you actually have to work hard for things. (at least, that's how it worked for me)

clockwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    question: how do you guys get motivated? whenever a idea,challenge or something comes up I get a burst of energy and gradually fade away during the week, only to find my self rushing the day before the dead line. I can't seem to keep my motivation steady throughout.
    well lately I haven't had any time to draw so I have been finding myself always coming up with these awesome ideas and no way to draw them (too busy) but usually if I have all the time in the world I run out of ideas after about an hour

so basically balancing the amount of time you spend is a good idea, idk

>>>DeviantART

>>>Sketchbook

>>>Website: Coming soon...

>>>LinkedIn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think most of all you should enjoy it and if your not motivated think about the fact that you want to become an artist and to do so you will have to draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing that keeps me motivated is just sketching random stuff. Take a piece of paper and fill it with whatever's on your mind without thinking about it- it's a good way to enter "the zone" and also makes me more relaxed about what I'm about to do- even if it's unrelated to art. I have no expectation for those sketches to be pretty or even halfway finished, it's just to loosen up and make things a bit easier to overcome.

For the cartoon show, I will possibly do some character designs and definitely some animation. The project is still at an early stage, so I actually don't know much more than that. It will be a show in the genre of family guy revolving around this apartment block with all sorts of silly stereotypes living in it. The company is hoping to sell it to Netflix.

When they ask you why you didn't become a professional artist, must the answer then be laziness?
    Join me in search of a better answer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds cool BDHD are you allowed to share things you make or short animations in your sketchbook for instance. Im not sure how that all goes so maybe its forbidden with copyright etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing that keeps me motivated is just sketching random stuff. Take a piece of paper and fill it with whatever's on your mind without thinking about it- it's a good way to enter "the zone" and also makes me more relaxed about what I'm about to do- even if it's unrelated to art. I have no expectation for those sketches to be pretty or even halfway finished, it's just to loosen up and make things a bit easier to overcome.
    even if you're angry? be interesting to see what would result from drawing while angry.

>>>DeviantART

>>>Sketchbook

>>>LinkedIn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Altardragon View Post
    even if you're angry? be interesting to see what would result from drawing while angry.
    I don't know, I might give it a shot next time I'm pissed off about something :p I do think drawing is good when sad though, as a kind of therapy. Drunk drawing is not really working for me though.. much too loose.

Dennis, I'll ask them about that when the job actually starts I'd be happy to share some of the stuff with you guys

When they ask you why you didn't become a professional artist, must the answer then be laziness?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SO...er...whats happened to everyone? This seems dead all the sudden.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Christmas holidays happened (or maybe it's people taking more free time in the holidays?)

Merry christmas and a happy new year everyone!

EDIT:
    I also have a question for you: Do you guys actually want to do anything art-related as a job, or just as a hobby?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hobby = free time
    job = full time

so jobs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would love to become a concept artist for now, but when I start studying I probably would do some animation things or illustrator stuff. But yes I would like to make this my job one day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well my mom doesn't seem to want to let me do it full time so I'm forced to keep it a hobby (for now) but as soon as I am able to move out and get a job I'll try and get a job doing any sort of art before I can think about concept art. I hate it when parents think they can decide what you can and can't do with your career choices. I can't argue with my mom either because I always lose

>>>DeviantART

>>>Sketchbook

>>>LinkedIn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well there is no point in argueing anyway, it's your life and you can make of it what you want to make of it. Your parents just want the best for you and they probably see the entire industry as "art". That your gonna be another painter. Well at least my parents have no idea about this huge industry which so many people work in all related to "art" but not in the traditional way our parents like to think of it. So they just want you to get a solid job at a boring company with a loan of 40,000 dollar a year for the rest of your life. Just tell them that's not what your gonna do and end of discussion Getting a job art related at this point is more assured then getting alot of jobs in other industries at the moment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3snzTTEphFA

I kinda agree with Dennis, about it being your life. Do however realise that your mother is not entirely wrong, being an artist is not the most profitable job in terms of money in most cases.
    I myself am working pretty hard on my drawing skills, to hopefully get into some kind of job that involves illustration or concept art.

Clockwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea I'm gonna make a living from this. I have decided that that will happen; I don't know when I will be able to say that I can completely sustain myself doing art, but I'll just have to keep working and gaining skills.
    The aspect of being a full-time artist can seem daunting and unrealistic, but I don't think it's too far-fetched if you start small; Local businesses with terrible ads in the local newpaper,, posters and graphic design work for people you know,, everything will add to your professional experience, your portfolio and sometimes your bank account.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thatsīs the spirit! I will hopefully do the same. Merry Christmas to you all!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a personal wip of mine. Let me know what you guys think.Name:  floating desert.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  340.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work!
    The sky is very empty and could be more interesting than this. Also, I think it would be nice if you show the entire floating thing instead of the lower two-third, now it kinda keeps me looking at the top edge. Also the desert could have some altitude variation, so with big dunes or have some details like trees, to make it more interesing.

clockwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by theclockworkpainter View Post
    Nice work!
    The sky is very empty and could be more interesting than this. Also, I think it would be nice if you show the entire floating thing instead of the lower two-third, now it kinda keeps me looking at the top edge. Also the desert could have some altitude variation, so with big dunes or have some details like trees, to make it more interesing.

clockwork
    Unfortunately, a desert sky isn't all that interesting. :/

I'll experiment for definite. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the real world, a desert sky is often uninteresting, because its too hot for clouds to form. (I think thats the reason?) In your paintings, you have total freedom to come up with a design solution to get clouds in there. If the people have floating city anti-grav tech, maybe they have weather control as well. Or maybe the desert isn't hot? And clouds aren't the only thing that can be in the sky, maybe birds or some more floating cities in the distance or airships? All yorus to decide.

Clockwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Simply shaded guy wishes you all a happy new year!
    Name:  newyears.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  326.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks and a happy new year to you and everybody reading this in 2013, let's improve even more in 2014 together!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, a happy new year to you all

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year!

Don't want to interupt, just got a quick query. The site is due to go down next sunday for maintenance so I'm not sure if you want me to set up a quicky challenge or wait till the forum comes back online.

Was thinking of setting you a still life challenge - digital/traditional is fine, as long as it's not from a photo.

Think you could handle something like that before next saturday?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I probably wont be participating for this challenge, working on what you've already seen.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...21#post3757921

But I'll be sure to come back 8to vote and help others

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes I can handle that. But why does it have to be finished before servers go down? Are they gonna be down for more than a day? and do you know if the servers are going to improve or there is a switch because these are to expensive ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't see why we would have to end the challenge before the shutdown, we could just continue with it over the down period and then talk once servers are back up.

Clockwork

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 113