General Chat

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: General Chat

Thanks

General Chat

Use this thread to talk about whatever you want - art, the challenges, what you did at the weekend - just try to keep it civil.

Don't want to have to come in here like a heavy, ya know?

Have fun!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I´d like to post a question, I´m curious about what you guys think what amount of time you spent drawing each week, like 10 hours a week, an hour a day, half an hour a day you name it. Just out of curiousity and I think this thread is the one for that.

-Dennis

Ma Sketchbook brings all the girls to the forums, damn right its worse than yours.

Thanks
    well for me it's totally random because I'm busy as hell (at the moment, at least!)

but usually I find around 2-4 hours a day every day of the week. a fair amount of these hours are spent doodling anatomy and creatures on the edges of my homework assignments (LOL) but about 63% of my drawing time is spent on photoshop cs4

how about yourself?

>>>DeviantART

>>>Sketchbook

>>>Website: Coming soon...

>>>LinkedIn

Thanks
    i do a lot of drawing for some of my courses, at the moment visual product design for example. I don't have too much time for personal drawings, at most 60 minutes on average I think.

Clockwork

Thanks
    Ah nice to hear 2-4 hours a day is alot! If drawing at school counts Ill probably draw about 3 hours a day. 1-2 hours in school and 1-2 hours at home, but the drawings I make in school are mostly purely random. And I dont think I learn alot from those.

Clockwork you spend 60 minutes on personal drawings, but you drawnfor school alot I assume?
    -Dennis

Ma Sketchbook brings all the girls to the forums, damn right its worse than yours.

Thanks
    Wow, I am surprised at the amounts you guys spend, I only spend maybe about 1-3 hours every week on drawing. But that's because I didn't pick art at school.

Thanks
    WHAAT 1-3 hours a week!>!? how the F did you get so darn good. lol I find that realy weird, your really good with only 1-3 hours of drawing a week. Well you sir must be a very quick learner.

Thanks
    Well I been at it for nearly a year now so...

Thanks
    Stop. Just a year, I dont believe that, no way you drew around 600 hours and your that good.

Thanks
    I would set the bar for 'personal drawings' really low, doodling in classes also counts. Every drawing movement improves your skill, after all. Lately I think don't really come to that anymore except in the weekends.

Dennis, have you watched all the fzdschool video's? If not, do so. They're awesome.
    I have not been drawing seriously for more than a year either. In classes we make a very different kind of drawings, since it's all product design. I would say it helps, but not as much as just drawing for real.

Name:  Lovegrove coffee machine.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  55.8 KB

clockwork

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Kessel View Post
    Stop. Just a year, I dont believe that, no way you drew around 600 hours and your that good.
    Just check my sketchbook.(I've updated the link to a different thread). Look at the time the thread started, that's when I got serious.

That was literally my starting point.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HaoningW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I wouldn't call it literally, since it's about images

Thanks
    Ye you started your sketchbook a year back, and ofcourse you didn't know alot, but on the other hand you knew alot to. I thought you really meant drawing, I've never been seriously drawn since 2 months ago. But when people ask me how long I've drawn for I tell them my whole life, surely you drew before, like dragons, trains things like that? Because it's as good as impossible to not have drawn and be able to do what you did on the first few posts in your sketchbook.

PS: Yes, Clockwork I think I saw every single FZDschool video, maybe I missed 3 or 4 though

Thanks
    oh no of course not. I don't think it's possible to have never drawn in life.

By starting point I meant the start of me going into concept art. Before that I was probably one of those fan boys you see all over deviantart.

Thanks
    aha okay, glad we cleared that up hahaha alright. I got another question I'm 16 so I can go to university in 2 years but I'm quite confused considering my choice of study. I know I'd like to become a concept artist or illustrator or something in the entertainment design industry, but there is no such study as concept art I looked at industrial design because that's what Feng Zhu's school focuses on. But Industrial design as a study focuses on coming up with items and actually making them for the selling purpose. But I don't want to actually create the things I draw, way to complicated for me So what do you guys think is a good study or do you know any places in the world where I can study " concept art" or something like Feng Zhu's school. Feng Zhu's school is pretty expensive plus living there etc. but the money is not what's keeping me back. I really want to study for a few years and join a club for students ( Im not sure what this is called in english) and live the student life, and I don't want to miss that part of my life by just doing a one year study in Singapore. So if you know a study that comes close, or somewhere you can actually study industrail design with the focus on the entertainment industry that would be great!

Thanks
    Dennis, I was about to ask the same thing

I wish I was taking more art courses :T

>>>DeviantART

>>>Sketchbook

>>>LinkedIn

Thanks
    LOL in some way I feel like this has become a competition to see who can come up with who has the most impressive learning speed haha! Just kidding.

anyways that's pretty cool Haoning I wish I was your guys's age! I could use a few extra years of experience.
    I wasted most of my earlier years drawing only dragons. ONLY dragons. XD I'm only just learning how to draw other animals :3

>>>DeviantART

>>>Sketchbook

>>>LinkedIn

Thanks
    Dennis, no such thing in the netherlands sadly, I've looked into it. Kunstacademie is nothing like art school, you don't learn any actual drawing skills there. I'm pretty happy at industrial design, but that's me who's also interested in math and stuff.
    I have not had art course, but I feel the need for that depends on what school your in, in some schools it's just really bad. The internet is better than most real life classes, at least here.

clockwork

Thanks
    Ye, that's exactly the dilemma I'm in, I'm not great with math and I just dont enjoy it at all. So I really don't want to study industrial design ( at least the way it is in the netherlands ) But I do want to go to university, get a degree and search for a job from there. I guess I got 2 more years to find something somewhere Thanks for pointing out there is no such thing in the Netherlands, I don't mind studying in another country. So hopefully I'll find something.

Thanks
    If you don't; there's also IPO which is industrial product design, a hbo study. That focuses only on visual design and a bit of ergonomics. (that's what I heard)

You could look into that. Remember being an (concept) artist is about the only kind of job you don't need any kind of degree for, just a good portfolio.

Clockwork

Thanks
    Yes but I really want to study a few years at a university or HBO is great to, I googled around a bit in school and there are a few studies that I might be interested in. Graphic Design, Illustrator Design and Animation design. So I could always study one of these, so I´ll look into all of them a bit more. Thanks for the suggestion I´m also going to look into IPO.

Thanks
    I think self teaching is probably the best way to go.

Thanks
    I think there is no 'best way', self teaching or online or reallife courses all have their drawbacks. Courses have the obvious advantage of forcing you to practice very much and very often, far more than 1-2 hours a day. Self teaching is cheaper (duh) but slower.
    It depends on what you want exactly, I would go into some kind of school for this if there was one nearby.

Clockwork

Thanks
    have any of you heard of National Portfolio day? You will definitely want to check this out as it is a GREAT opportunity for art professors to critique your portfolios.

http://www.portfolioday.net/

unfortunately where I live there are no national portfolio days happening but if you guys see one that's happening near you, I would strongly suggest you at least check it out and maybe even visit!

>>>DeviantART

>>>Sketchbook

>>>LinkedIn

Thanks
    None here, but there are some days in which you can go to university and check out studies and take a portfolio and let a prof check it out. But that´s something I might want to do next year, for now I just want to improve and then I´ll think about making a portfolio.

Thanks
    I would say I draw about 5-6 hours a week. Like some of you guys it's pretty inconsistent, but it's usually around that.

Thanks
    The conceptart.org workshop in june was a turning point for me. That's when I started drawing every day and daring to be more serious about it. I'm 18, so compared to you guys I'm probably a bit behind.. I sketch a little bit every day, and mostly I do a Teen Challenge a week. On top of that I have two school projects; a huge oil painting and a short animation film. For the first time in my life I'm actually busy having friends and being social, so my productivity has gone down quite a bit.. Buut I just got a part-time job to animate for a cartoon show; it should start sometime next year. I'm very excited about that

Definitely socialize with artists and get people to look at your portfolio. That's what made the workshop so important to me- We're not alone in pursuing art, and there are people out there way better than you who will want to look at your art and tell you how to improve. Portfolio day looks great if you happen to be on that side of the atlantic.

When they ask you why you didn't become a professional artist, must the answer then be laziness?
    Join me in search of a better answer.

Thanks
    Gratz on the part time job, that sounds really cool. What kind of cartoon show is it, and what exactly will you be doing there? Portfolio day does sound nicely to bad I'm on the wrong side of the water. I hope I will be able to keep this seriousness with drawing and that I'll keep improving.

Thanks
    question: how do you guys get motivated? whenever a idea,challenge or something comes up I get a burst of energy and gradually fade away during the week, only to find my self rushing the day before the dead line. I can't seem to keep my motivation steady throughout.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HaoningW View Post
    question: how do you guys get motivated? whenever a idea,challenge or something comes up I get a burst of energy and gradually fade away during the week, only to find my self rushing the day before the dead line. I can't seem to keep my motivation steady throughout.
    Totally for me too, though the motivation also fades while I'm not working on it (when I'm at school or sth)

clockwork

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast