Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dahlia's Sketchbook

Thanks

Dahlia's Sketchbook

Hello friends and cohorts!

After an unfortunate 1.5 year hiatus due to scholastic responsibilities, I finally have some time to draw and paint again. I have a whole lot to learn, so critique away! And please enjoy, or at least tolerate with minimal revulsion, my humble sketchbook.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dahlia; April 21st, 2014 at 12:28 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here's a couple of my older works to give you an idea of where I'm at.
    Don't look for meaning in these. There isn't any.

Note to self: learn how to actually do backgrounds...
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Interesting designs love the orka/panda hybrid
    one thing to think about in the future might be to plan the lighting better,
    right now everything except the last one seems to have a overcast type of lighting to it with hardly any shadow shapes in the creatures.
    Keep it up

Thanks
    Here's some stuff I did today and yesterday. Whew, fast sketching is really disorienting to get back to after a long break.
    30s poses:
    Name:  10122013_30s_small.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  70.5 KB
    60s poses:
    Name:  10122013_1m_small.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  76.9 KB

Then here's a 2.5 hr study that I thought turned out really well. I think I've become obsessed with opaque brushes - they are seriously addictive:
    Name:  shakira_smaller.PNG
Views: 634
Size:  327.1 KB

Here's a similar one I did a while back with 85% opacity. This one took way longer because I wasn't used to the style yet.
    Name:  bradley soileau_smaller.JPG
Views: 632
Size:  171.2 KB

I really should learn how to use normal brushes like a real person someday.

Thanks
    Oops, cross post. Thanks DK! I agree, lighting and value is definitely something I need to work on.

Thanks
    Hey Dahlia! Thank you so much for stopping by in my sketchbook!
    Really nice stuff you got here! I really enjoy your gesture studies and your color studies as well
    I need to work in my anatomy studies too!

Thanks
    heya Dahlia, thanks for your comment on my sb : )
    that opaque brush thing looks great, ive been thinking of trying some of that too, must be good practice for colour picking
    anyway, nice work on your studies, see ya 'round

Thanks
    Thanks aks9!!

Mini update. Here's a couple landscape studies I just did (~15 min. per mini square). All from photos - I know, I know, terrible habit...
    Name:  11122013_landscapes1_smaller.JPG
Views: 571
Size:  131.5 KB
    Name:  20131212_landscapes_smaller.JPG
Views: 584
Size:  181.8 KB

And here's an old COW entry, just to keep things exciting and make people who don't read the text think I paint really fast:
    Name:  octorok_character_sheet_CA.JPG
Views: 592
Size:  283.3 KB

Thanks
    Lovely Zelda monster Redesign that looks great, also think your 15 minute studies are awesome. Would be nice to see a bit more light/darkness in soem of them though. The first one for instance I have no idea where the light is coming from. And it looks like a deserty land so the sun should be a huge light source. And that 2.5 hour study is really really good, looks professional, clean, good detail and realistic!
    Ma Sketchbook brings all the girls to the forums, damn right its worse than yours.

Thanks
    Dennis - A very belated thank you for your comment

So... been a while, but back at it. Let's see if I can make it past three posts this time.

Been doing the composition studies from Levelup. Here's my favorites so far:
    Name:  Master_Study_Bierstadt_a_storm_in_the_rocky_mountains_SMALLER.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  206.8 KBName:  joanofarc_SMALLER.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  243.1 KBName:  Master_Sketch_frazetta_forweb_SMALLER.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  257.8 KB
    I desperately need to work on drawing/painting from imagination, so I played with a few thumbnails of some generic enviros. They were supposed to be b&w, but apparently I can't judge value at all without color, so I added the ugly overlay. I've never done enviros before so these were fun
    Name:  graceling_Leinid_kingdom_thumbnailscolored_SMALLER.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  206.3 KB
    But composition is still confusing, so I decided to super simplify it and play with just three values and see what looks nice. I'm finding them very helpful, I think I'll do a lot more. The top half are from my head and the bottom half are interpreted from master paintings:
    Name:  IMG_1036.JPG
Views: 505
Size:  97.7 KB
    Then I worked on a little figure drawing, where I would sketch from reference (left) then redo them from memory (right). Here's one page. These fall into the category of arduous but necessary
    Name:  IMG_1061.JPG
Views: 498
Size:  72.4 KB
    Finally, here's a painting that I started 2 years ago and finally got around to finishing yesterday. It didn't occur to me until afterwards that you probably wouldn't have rice and noodles at the same meal, unless you really like carbohydrates. I'm a big fan of carbohydrates, personally.
    Name:  noodles_4_5_2014_SMALLER.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  125.9 KB

Thanks
    Yey Panda whale! Awesome work all round, really like the last painting, felt like that a few times
    Those thumbnails! You have the eye! Was trying to pinpoint a favourite, but I like them all. Maybe number 5, mountain dwellings are always a fav.
    Ah, to live on the mountain.. with the great eagle and the whispering wind....

The composition simplification looks really interesting, might need to give it a go.

More!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bri - I thought the mini composition studies were really helpful in understanding how to place mass lights/darks. At the very least, I find myself noticing it more when I look at other people's paintings. Also, you can do them while watching TV. That's a plus.
    Glad you like the landscapes! I love the mountains too, though I have yet to learn how to paint with all the colors of the wind. Scotland looks like it has some gorgeous mountains and landscapes. Always wanted to visit. Someday!!

Still trying to flex my imagination muscles. Just got a new sci-fi book (Red Rising) and decided to try and illustrate some stuff from it. I'm only 40 pages or so in right now, so don't tell me what happens!
    Here's what I've got so far. A few random thumbnails- some mining (it's a mining colony on Mars), an underground garden, and a few thumbnails of girl-character fixing boy-character's burnt hand. Also tried to do portraits of the main characters. Takes forever without reference.

Finally figured out the 'color' layer too. It is almost unbelievably easier than using straight color for imagination stuff.
    Name:  RedRising_Thumbnails_JPEGcompilation1_SMALLER.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  669.0 KB

Ahh this is so much fun! I can't believe I waited so long to start doing stuff from my imagination.
    Last edited by Dahlia; April 12th, 2014 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks
    Wow nice update! Looks awesome, haven't read the book but your pics make me want to. You'll need to enlighten me on this new wizardry you have figured out. The colour layer is the dark arts I hear, you might want to be careful.

Scotland is a small and very beautiful country, you should defintately make plans to visit sometime and if you do, take a rain coat
    I also like to draw whilst watching stuff, even if I'm just basically holding a pencil and not drawing anything... Multi taking is not my strong point..

Really look forward to more.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast