Just started some head studies on my own today in class while everybody was sleeping; compressed charcoal on 22x30 recycled newsprint:
I didn't think I could actually shade a face, so I started with plane studies:
And this is where I've been at with my heads for a while:
Then, suddenly, something worked out, and it actually looks like a face! Then she woke up and moved, so the drawing got truncated:
Another pretty good (comparatively, I know) one. It was better before I screwed up the mouth:
Back to the old mistakes:
And one more sleeping one that worked pretty well:
These may not look too impressive, but they are a giGANtic step foreward for me. These are literally the first times I've ever done heads that looked reasonably convincing. I know they're really rough, but I'm excited!