Thanks

end of the year life drawings

Hey guys,

Water Street is out for the summer, so I thought I'd post some of my drawings from the past few months. I've been there since January, and all but the last one were done from models there. You can see the stages of some of the techniques in the unfinished ones. Thanks for looking!

-Nick

Nick

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Awesome stuff man. The way you work around the drawing is interesting...how long does the underdrawing take?

Thanks
    very nice, so is that a achieved by a blending stump or just steady shading? if so what type of lead? thanks

Thanks
    the last one has too much contrast on the ear and it takes focus. Theres more lines there than anywhere else in the drawing. The hair strands have also formed arrows pointing to the ear.

Thanks
    your work is really good!! it appears to be very traditional. How long have you been training?... i see that you are year younger than me and i know that shouldn't mean to much but i am just curious to what you have done for your training and how long have you been drawing? one last question how do you set up your drawings as far as steps with a portrait and the amount of time you spend on each stage?

great work! very observant and thought out.

-Jesse
    "it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]

Thanks
    jetpack - Thanks! Glad you like them. The underdrawings can take anywhere from half an hour to 6 hours. The shorter end would be for a simple portrait, and the long end for a complicated pose, like that sitting girl.

LadyLioness - All of these are without a stump, but you can get some great use from them when you start playing around with graphite and charcoal mixes though. I just use a super-sharp, regular wooden pencil point to get the flatness, from HB to 2B usually.

winjer - Thanks for the crit! I'll definitely look out for more stuff like that now.

J.Mac - Thanks for the reply. I've been drawing since the end of high school, then went to the Cleveland Institute of Art, took a leave of abscence from there last year, and have been at the Water Street Atelier since January. These drawings are all basically set up the same way. You can see the stages with the portraits, working loosely, finding shadow and light shapes, kind of working from the inside out until the shapes fit together, refining them until you have a super-accurate outline to fill in with form and shadow. The time depends on complexities of the pose and stuff like that, so it can go fast or take a while. The portraits are all 4/5 hour poses and that nude girl was probably around 25, the guy's torso and hands being somewhere inbetween.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Wow, i am trying to achieve a simular style with my pencil work at the moment but i am in the early stages of development. I think once i start life drawing next year i should start to develop alot more.

Good work

Vader

Thanks
    Bombesei wow thanks for your reply! you spend alot of time on your pieces huh... i tend to be more short and not as patient sometimes... a bad habit i have noticed and trying to break. awesome work hope you post more soon.

-Jesse
    "it isn't about how you draw, but how you feel about what you're drawing..."

Portfolio - Blog

Current Activities: [Sketchbook]

Currently Playing: [Skyrim]

Currently Reading: [WWZ]