Selling rights to your work...maintaining rights to your work...and work for hire.

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 10,912 Times in 2,481 Posts

Selling rights to your work...maintaining rights to your work...and work for hire.

This thread will be the place you can ask questions about how to sell or manage the rights to your work. Once it comes to that point you will want to work with a skilled lawyer to be sure the contracts are right but it is of the utmost importance that you understand your rights going into the discussions with the buyer, your client or even your employer.

Here is some of the conversation that came up on facebook about artist rights.

Mert Genccinar May i ask something? How can you sell a digital work, I mean what s the legal steps of this offical process? Is there any contracts and rules about that?
    Yesterday at 2:15pm via mobile · Like · 1

Shahab Alizadeh Actually you buy the copyrights and thats why a contract is necessary.
    23 hours ago · Like

Mert Genccinar Is there any contract sample online or a lawyer necessary? Thanks by the way
    23 hours ago via mobile · Like

Black Spot Err... we've just started a new forum for such questions. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=260
    23 hours ago · Edited · Like

Rachael Saltzman You don't buy the copyright, you buy printing or hosting or file rights.
    22 hours ago · Like

Black Spot It all depends on what they want it for, how long and who keeps what rights. I think we might need some graphs on the forum.
    22 hours ago · Like

Jason Manley You can buy and sell any rights you wish...print rights...right to hang the piece...you can even rent it...you can sell all rights...exclusive rights to the actual file and every other right possible. Mert if you ask that question in the forum one of the lawyers will give you an answer I imagine. yes there is a process...and if you don't know it you can't do it
    14 hours ago · Like · 4

Mert Genccinar Agreed Thank you Jason!
    11 hours ago via mobile · Like
    Jason Manley

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Jason, this is a good topic.
    My firm would be glad to answer any general questions in this area.

Bogdan Rentea
    www.rentealaw.com

www.rentealaw.com

Thanks
    Thanked 10,912 Times in 2,481 Posts
    Thanks Bogdan. They are in very good hands then. I think the idea of doing a webinar on these kinds of topics would be great. Folks if you are dealing with contracts or the like Bogdan will take good care of you.

Jason

Thanks
    Oh, I actually have a question about this. We briefly discussed Copyright Law at my University (possibly the most precious bit of information we got there) in the context of Multimedia in the Web.

Now, there is a massive discrepancy between European copyright laws and American copyright laws. In Europe the intellectual property rights can only be owned by physical people and not legal entities, whereas in America it is common for entire companies to hold copyrights to a work. There are also other aspects, where for instance in Germany, you actually cannot sell your rights to your work to someone else.

Therefore, say I create/publish something in Germany and then an America com pay wishes to buy it from me… what on earth even happens then? Does it depend on where the image is hosted? Where the contract is signed?

Members who have read this thread: 37