Art: Help with a piece.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help with a piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Help with a piece.

I've been working on this one for about a 10 hours collectively. I think I'm not liking it very much because I know that the perspective is off and I don't know how to fix it. Please any help would be grateful!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing I've been working on for myself lately is establishing the perspective, values, color palette, composition, and overall forms as quickly as possible. Like, within the first 10-20 minutes. And if it's not working at that point, I don't start detailing and hope I can fix it later - I find the spots that look wrong and start them over. When implemented successfully, this workflow gets you through the hardest part of the painting early on, and from there on out, it's just a matter of adding details. In other words, if you give it the squint test at that 20-minute mark, it already looks more or less like the final painting. You may want to try that approach for future paintings...it's a good time management technique, and it helps you avoid spending hours building a detailed painting on a shaky foundation.

As far as this specific painting goes, here are my comments.

* The perspective does need work. Your horizon line should be one of the very first things you establish, even if it's not going to be visible in the final painting.

* The directionality of the light is unclear. A lot of things seem to be illuminated from the right, but then there's a complete lack of shadows or value change along the ground plane.

* The towers in the background are distracting from the design of the church's own towers. Notice how the background tower on the left has a very similar shape as the church tower that overlaps it - it's just shifted a little to the left in the frame. While this certainly could happen in real life, it tends to look distracting. It's usually more effective to avoid "echoing" the foreground (or midground) design in the background.

Again, though, the biggest thing I can recommend is to start your painting with some big, messy brushes and not start detailing until you've created something that already "reads" if you blur your eyes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, I hade a look. Maybe this will help you.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-01-30 at 00.41.45.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  78.5 KB

Members who have read this thread: 48