Sketchbook: Viconia's SB
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Viconia's SB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Viconia's SB

Hi everyone, I am a networking student whose primary hobby is digital drawing/painting. I am making this sketchbook to get some feedback and hopefully improve in the process. Let's get started!

Thank you for viewing.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Viconia; December 2nd, 2013 at 01:57 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kicking this SB off with a few studies that I did over the last month (give or take.)

Name:  thor-sm.png
Views: 345
Size:  308.9 KB
    Name:  anatomy006-sm.png
Views: 346
Size:  160.4 KB
    Name:  anatomy005-sm.png
Views: 341
Size:  205.1 KB
    Name:  anatomy004.png
Views: 341
Size:  138.3 KB
    Name:  clothing004-sm.png
Views: 339
Size:  118.9 KB
    Name:  portrait004.png
Views: 350
Size:  315.9 KB
    Name:  portrait001-sm.png
Views: 337
Size:  143.3 KB
    Name:  rhino-sm.png
Views: 346
Size:  178.0 KB

Last edited by Viconia; December 2nd, 2013 at 01:57 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome! Really nice values, can't wait to see more.

Use it or loose it. And now I find myself trying remember where I lost my drawing skills...

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pindurski - Thank you very much!

-----------------

Some studies from this evening. I'm supposed to be studying but I've been feeling dizzy all day so I took some time to relax and practice art.

Name:  portrait011-sm.png
Views: 332
Size:  395.3 KB

Name:  portrait012-sm.png
Views: 333
Size:  718.5 KB

Name:  portrait013-sm.png
Views: 332
Size:  628.9 KB

Last edited by Viconia; December 2nd, 2013 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good going! I like that you are taking notes as you go. I do that sometimes when I see something particularly bad and just need to really make it concrete to never - ever - do - that - again. I know how it is to get lost in detail. I've found it really helps to start with an extremely large brush and just work on defining large shapes. Once they are as well defined as you can get them with that brush - make a brush 75% the size and repeat. Just keep doing that until you are into the details. It is hard and long work, but it is a really good teaching tool.

"Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heeey, very nice sketchbook you have here ;> I love that quick action figures. They have really nice movement and energy. your studies also have a nice feel and i'm sure they're very beneficial. Can't wait to see some applications of those studies in your presonal work. Keep pushing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    masterpug - Hey, those are some great tips. Thank you, I will try harder to focus on the bigger picture!

Ramalooke - Thanks! I've been pretty stressed out because of school so I haven't had much mental energy to do creative stuff. At the same time, I still feel like drawing so I've been using any artistic energy that I have to work on studies. I'll probably be able to post more personal work once the semester ends.

-----------------------

Here's some stuff from last night.

Name:  portrait014-sm.png
Views: 318
Size:  594.4 KB

Name:  portrait015-sm.png
Views: 311
Size:  331.9 KB

Last edited by Viconia; December 2nd, 2013 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice looking studies, I'm liking the figures in the beginning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Untouched24 - Thank you very much!

-------------------

A few exercises from today. I basically painted the images backwards from ref and then rotated them 180 degrees (back to normal)
    to see all of the errors. This was painful. Painting them wasn't hard, it was the flipping and checking for errors part that
    made me aware of just how bad I am at proportions. I think that is going to be my number 1 priority from now on.

Name:  backward001-sm.png
Views: 289
Size:  244.6 KB

Name:  backward002-sm.png
Views: 293
Size:  365.0 KB

Name:  backward003-sm.png
Views: 292
Size:  350.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi vic its good to see you back! thnx for the sb comment. did you know sean was running a class still? also you are doing great the way you render forms is awesome, and i think you understand the neeed to work on proportions so keep going

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Care - Hey thanks, I wasn't aware that Sean was still running classes. Unfortunately I probably
    won't have time to participate but it's good to know that the class is still going on.

---------------------

So yeah, I'm really stressed out right now and I can't focus so I just painted random stuff last night.
    As far as the last picture is concerned, I was doodling and I decided to start developing a character
    which is really strange for me as I've never really made a character of my own. Sure I've designed random
    characters, but never for myself. I'm kind of regretting not putting her in a more interesting pose but
    eff it, I'll just use it as rendering practice. Lol.

Name:  headshot002 -  sm.png
Views: 258
Size:  154.0 KB

Name:  winter-sm.png
Views: 260
Size:  509.3 KB

Name:  ravenchick-proc01-wip.png
Views: 257
Size:  732.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! my advice: try to paint in one language in one painting. this doesnt mean use only one style, but for example, i see that you use lines, big forms, many different brushes for 1 painting etc in one painting, this makes it look chaotic-thats not wrong! but it need some training to use it the way that it doesnt look messy details, dont lose yourself into the details, we love them for some reason but try to stay the important things like form, value and maybe color. i would recommend the soft brush and a hardbrush (not the pencil haha but something harder than the "foggy" soft brush^^'. this gives a wonderful contrast into the painting.
    and on the last one- good light on the left side of the face dont worry about brushes, one day you will know how to use them and why you use them for which part of a painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love the way you have been painting women's faces, your studies have a beautiful look to them and your works from imagination are already showing some results of those glamorous studies! I especially like your antler (tree?) lady in your last post. It is very impressive how well you are able to capture the subtle rendering in your facial studies.
    Although very pretty, your choices for reference photos are not the best for learning, as these sorts of photos have already been manipulated and photoshopped, giving them an airbrushed appearance. If you want to build some fundamentals of form and light, I would suggest looking for photos with a very obvious light source, having a clear light and dark, like your fashion portrait #2. I also think it is great that your are taking notes on your works and reflecting on issues you can see! But I would also suggest to not limit yourself on time for your studies and that you should attempt to fix any issues you see. It is definitely satisfying to lasso an eye or two and move it down a bit only to end up with an awesome likeness.
    Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sens of value on those portraits. I think you could read some color theory it will help you with palette choices for your color stuff. Lady with branches horns looks really great but you could use some complementary color there to make here pop. Keep pushing. You are doing great work, I love your sketchbook so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some good practices! i see that you're trying different things and that'll make you even more amazing in no time! keep up good works!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, no pictures with this update. School has been kicking my ass and I have finals coming up so I really want to focus on them and get good grades. I really regret procrastinating on everything... lol.

----------------------------------------

yuniken - Hey, thanks for the advice! I think consistency is one of my weak points at the moment because I keep wanting to try new things haha.

MisterStrum - I agree about spending more time... the biggest issue here is that I procrastinated on all of my work this semester and now I only have about an hour or two at most to practice art. The rest of the time I'm studying for classes or in class. After school ends I'm definitely going to dedicate myself to some longer studies, though. Oh yeah, and thank you for the kind words!

Ramalooke - Yeah, I agree I'm pretty timid when it comes to using complementary colors though on that piece specifically I actually was trying for complementary colors. (Blue and brown? ) Unless you mean that I should use straight up yellow/orange which could be interesting. Maybe I should start using more vibrant complementary colors. Hmmmmmm....

limsh - Thank you! I appreciate the positive encouragement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh thats good, try out everything that comes into your mind, throw your whole creativity on the paper ¦D be open and dont say no to anything, there are no rules ! and i see you have some trouble with the eye of the asian model post #4. take your time in doing the left eye, do it with different tools or brushes, what helps is to paint only the silhouette and then go firther with lines/details. have fun ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yuniken - hehe yeah, I always seem to have trouble with eyes. I like your tip about the silhouette and I will pay more attention to shapes from now on. Thank you for the advice!

------------------

School's finally over and I've been spending time at my mom's house over the holidays. I finally got a chance to get on her laptop and do some painting. Painting on my mom's laptop is a little awkward. I have a desktop at home and it felt strange using her setup, haha. Aside from that, this was really fun! It's a Craig Mullins study (gosh how I love his work ) and I tried my best to be careful and patient with it.

Name:  mullins_study001.png
Views: 143
Size:  443.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two more Craig Mullins studies. These were really fun to work on and I feel like I am learning a lot. Still visiting with my mom so I'm using her laptop. The setup still feels a bit awkward but I think I'm starting to get used to it.

Name:  mullins_study002.png
Views: 128
Size:  340.2 KB

Name:  mullins_study003.png
Views: 125
Size:  287.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some sketches. I've been trying to do more sketches lately because sometimes I get too caught up in rendering.

Name:  sketch003.png
Views: 91
Size:  395.7 KB

Name:  sketch002.png
Views: 94
Size:  186.8 KB

Name:  sketch001.png
Views: 89
Size:  114.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More sketches from today.

Name:  sketch004.png
Views: 75
Size:  369.0 KB

Name:  sketch005.png
Views: 72
Size:  383.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got back from my mom's a few days ago. I've been working on personal stuff so not many studies to show.

Name:  faces001.png
Views: 57
Size:  239.7 KB

Name:  figures001.png
Views: 53
Size:  206.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been feeling really stressed lately. I think it is showing in my work too... not to mention it makes it harder to draw. =/

Name:  figures002.png
Views: 42
Size:  253.8 KB

Name:  face001.png
Views: 41
Size:  102.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Viconia, nice sketchbook you have here. I like the the last few sketches you posted, especially the horned girl bust. It would make for a beautiful painting.
    I like your studies and the fact that you keep notes. I'm just wondering if you ever go back and fix what you've noticed you did wrong. I don't think you should worry too much about the time a study takes you, it's more important to get things as good as you possibly can.
    Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thus craig colo studs are nice, the bodies too, nice lines!

Members who have read this thread: 71