Thread: Octabrain Sculpture from Duke Nukem Forever by DavoX

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink Octabrain Sculpture from Duke Nukem Forever by DavoX

Octabrain
    By
    Leonardo "DavoX" Pellegrini

Hello everyone! Here I'm showing you my Octabrain Sculpture, an enemy from Duke Nukem Forever!

I hope you like it and I'm in the process of making molds and then I will paint it

The clay I'm using is obviously Super Sculpey.

First I'm going to show you the armature I made for it. I Forgot to take pictures when I made the armature but I'll tell you it's made out of Wires of different kind of thickness which I then covered with a Wire sheet and then with Epoxy.

This is the unfinished body with some wire still visible:

And then fully covered with epoxy, ready to add the clay!

This is all to bulk up the body and to use less Clay ( Which is Super Sculpey by the way, kinda expensive).

Basic shape:

Started making the brain:

I'm adding the "things" that hold the head onto the brain, I also made the belly which I'll show later:

Improved a bit the "tentacles" that hold the brain and then added small "balls of steel" to make the eyes:

Worked a bit on the face and added details. Going to make the spine tomorrow:

Worked some more on the "brain holders" that keep the brain and the head together.

Also I just noticed how cute the octabrain looks when smelling a nice flower. (Sorry about that lol.)

Added the spiky spine and added more detail to the head as well. Next step: Tentacles!

Now some before and after pics:

Before:

After:

Working on it's tiny arms .

Added more wire for the armature so the legs stay steady and strong.

Upclose. Added little holes on the Epoxy putty to avoid clay slippage.

After adding a bunch of clay for the belly and making sure the proportions are correct, I start detailing it with the basic shape.

More detail on the belly.

Added the little anus.

And finally added clay to the tentacle armature. This is the basic form. Will add detail later.

Here is the first tentacle, 5 more to go and it's done.

Nevermind the rotated pics, photobucket is acting really strange lately.

Three legs done, 3 more to go. (Well the frontal one needs a bit of work but still )

've been touching up a bit the brain as it looked unnatural before, so I gave it a try:

Before:

After:

Finally, it's finished. There may be a few touchups to be done but overall it's finished.

It's been a long ride but there's still work to be done. Namely molding and casting it, and then painting it. Stay tuned.

Last edited by DavoX; December 8th, 2013 at 02:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Started boiling the different parts to harden them and then make molds out of it.

First I started with one Tentacle since I've never actually boiled sculpey, so this is just a test to see if it really works... Boiled for 20 minutes and then let it cool at Room temperature for 1 hour.

Apparently it does work:

I've only had one problem with the first tentacle , it had some bubbles on the surface, then I knew it was because Right before boiling it I brushed it with turpentine, apparently turpentine on the surface and boiling don't mix well.... So I didn't add any turpentine at all for the remaining parts and Didn't have any problems.

Here I'm sanding rough surfaces to smooth them out.

After sanding:

Now what you've all been waiting for... boiling the head, it took some time to actually set up the head inside. It fit inside by just a few milimeters. Let it boil for 30 minutes and then let it cool outside for 4 hours, of course while it was still inside the water.

After cooking, everything went great, or so I thought....

Cracking! Aahh! Thankfully this is easy to fix with some epoxy putty and sanding.

Ok so I started building the Base for the sculpture...

First I made an armature for it, with wire and aluminium foil. Then I covered the whole thing with epoxy for sculptors.

Then I made little holes on the surface for the clay to hold on to. Also drilled a hole on top and inserted this hook to be able to hold it and place it inside the boiling cup later on.

Here I placed the sculpting clay on it and used some clay to get a sense of how the thing will flow when it's finished, Form wise.

Here I'm drawing some lines so I know where the edges of each little rock will be. Then With a dental tool I'll separate each rock as I need.

Started making the little rocks, I realized later that some parts where too thin (too close to the epoxy) and It would crack if boiled, so I added more clay to make it a thicker layer.

Here I'm adding some bumps on the rocks to give them more tridimensionality and protruding.

And how it looks so far....

Here I'm going to make the four big tentacles that are attached to the big rock formation. I start with long pieces of clay.

Then I add 2 more pieces to have 3 total on each tentacle. Then I try to blend them together to make one piece.

Here are the 4 tentacles done:

Now on to add a bit of detail to them:

Now I use turpentine to smooth out the rough edges:

Next step is to add parasites or mini tentacles of some kind to make it seem like it's spreading around. Here I use long pieces of clay again to make those. Then I adhere the tentacles at the same time I push it on the "rocks" with a pointy rounded tool.

End result after smoothing with turpentine:

Here I'm going to boil the poor bastard, at this point I don't need the hook anymore so I removed it and put some clay in there to cover up the hole:

Boiled piece after Cool down. Now I only need to sand some roughness on some parts.

Here I'm making the little bed for the part to rest on (it's also the height of the other half of silicone)

I've smoothed out the surface and made some marks so that the other half of silicone will get properly secured when I want to make a copy.

I've used foam to restrict the silicone.

Started doing the same with the base but since it's flat I don't have to make a clay bed for it.

Done.

All the first 3 ready to have silicone poured in:

Silicone has set in 24 hs. I turned everything upside down and removed the beds of clay. After cleaning everything this is the result. Now I have to make a little film of vaseline on top and then pour silicone again. The vaseline is to avoid the new silicone from sticking to the other half.

As for the base I need to pour a bit more silicone on top since I ran out of silicone and it left an uneven surface, this isn't good for when I have to make copies of it, it has to be perfectly flat to avoid distortion when placing it on the table.

Mold for the base came out perfect

Last edited by DavoX; December 1st, 2013 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Yarin_t!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it coming! These posts are so generous

tumblr

Just happy to be living, and living to be happy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you WitchPolice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great job!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks seawave!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah that's was a awesome use of epoxy,why boil it though? Isn't baking less of a mess and easier? It was cool to see it work though, I never would have done it out of the fear

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah that's was a awesome use of epoxy,why boil it though? Isn't baking less of a mess and easier? It was cool to see it work though, I never would have done it out of the fear.
    Amazing piece love it,doom would be your bag as well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some people say boiling has less chance of cracking. But it's a gamble any way you go depending on a lot of factors. I've had success and failure both ways.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't boil the sculpture because unfortunately I don't have access to an oven for this purpose and I won't use the one in my house. After one month of boiling the base started to crack just a little bit. It has a really messy structure inside which probably was the problem, or maybe I should've let it boil for longer , dunno, still have to try more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've decided to make the tentacles again, mostly because I'm not happy with the shape of the previous ones, this is what the old tentacles looked like:

As you can see the shape is very weird and it's flattened on some spots.

So, let's do them again!

Materials:

Epoxy putty, aluminium wire, pliers, plastiline, wire, base, etc....

Straight armature wire with small wire around it, to avoid clay slippage:

I insert the armature wire into a disposable pvc pipe attached to the base:

Put some epoxy putty inside of the pipe to keep the armature wire attached to it as straight as possible:

Basic shape with the plastiline. This time I'm trying to make it as cilyndrical as possible.

After that I start to add rough detail:

I start to smooth out the surfaces:

Now I make some little balls of platiline to make the suction cups:

Finished:

Now I'll make a mold for this, and then make a silicone copy of the tentacle, this way I can use the same tentacle in different poses to make the other molds. And this will ensure that all tentacles will be the same lenght and shape.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks like quite an undertaking! I've never boiled sculpey before alway just put it in the oven in stages, detail a little then bake, then you can hold the piece on parts that are baked and keep working and baking it. i never had it crack out of being heated. Pretty interesting to see it done that way.

Did you pour the mold yet?

Brendan Coyle
    www.coylecavern.com

Members who have read this thread: 61