Thanks

Drawing education.

Hey guys, I'm half way through completing a Foundation Art and Design course at LCC (London College of Communication, UAL) and it's come around to that time where I need to start applying for degree courses. My problem is that I can't find a course that is solely based on drawing. When I say drawing, by the way, I mean the formal elements: Light, colour, form, perspective. My foundation course was free, but I don't want to spend closing in on £50,000 (when you include accommodation and materials) doing three years of a course that isn't what I want to do. At the moment I'm doing a lot of graphic design, which has merit, of course, but is not at all what I'm looking for.
    I want a course that will help prepare me for a future in Concept Art, and since there aren't any schools like FDZ or TAD near me (to my knowledge) and moving out of the country is pretty much off the table, I figure a basic drawing and painting course is what I need. You know; lots of life drawing, 100 sketch assignments, that sort of thing.
    I live in London at the moment, and I am perfectly happy to move around the UK, just not abroad, but I really can't find any courses that aren't filled with all that arty-farty guff. I mean, I almost found one that seemed alright, but then they started going on about using your body in art, and making the process as much a piece of performance/dance art as what you end up painting, which... I just... Why is there even a course for that?

Anyway, I want to know maybe where you guys studied? I'm not looking to go to a big-name college, even, it's the knowledge I want, not the certificate.
    Please look at my Sketchbook

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    even, it's the knowledge I want, not the certificate.
    Sounds like a classical-academic education is for you.
    There are two such schools in London:

http://lavenderhillstudios.com/

http://drawpaintsculpt.com/

Thanks
    My first thought is that, you should avoid spending so much money and find an alternative approach to developing your skills.
    If your main goal is to develop your technical abilities via a classical route, then in reality you do not need to attend a school at all, this of course will save you money and time.
    You may wish to consider the prospect of independent learning, take a number of short courses with a focus on drawing, painting etc, and then use the finances you had set aside for tuition to take some time off, and spend your time practicing the desired disciplines.
    If you do choose to take that route, I do however suggest you also spend time studying the theory alongside; if a case for attending an institute were made, then acquiring a solid understanding of art theory would be included, so don't fall behind.
    I find myself a little perplexed by your difficulty in finding said course, in my experience most art institutes, and major universities offer a drawing course.

Thanks
    and then use the finances you had set aside for tuition to take some time off
    It should be understood that very recently, university fees in the UK have quite literally tripled, so what pools of money anyone's parents have set aside for their child's university or college fees are now three times too shallow. So the only way I would be going to college is with a student loan, lol.
    Also, the major problem with not going to college is that my parents are not about to let me stay in their house while I'm not in full-time education, so that's a no go, really. If I'm not in college (in student accommodation), and not at home with my parents, I'm going to need to find somewhere to live, and that's going to mean I need a full-time job. I pretty royally screwed up my 16-18 exams, so I'm not going to get a job doing anything that pays well, and if I stay in London... Well... I'll be lucky if I can afford food on top of rent and utilities.
    I find myself a little perplexed by your difficulty in finding said course, in my experience most art institutes, and major universities offer a drawing course.
    You'd be surprised. I managed to get into a UAL college on my awful school grades (foundation courses are free), so I'm right in there when it comes to being first in line for 'the best' courses in the UK, as the college has an internal progression system, whereby foundation students can move up to any degree course the four UAL colleges offer. Naturally I decided that would be my best bet at getting a place in a decent college, but none of the courses available are that classical artistic education thing that I'm looking for. Camberwell has a drawing course, but talking to some people taking it, and looking at the prospectus and some reveiws, it's really not what I want to do, because apparently 'Drawing' encompasses a lot more than I thought, including 3D design, printmaking and all the rest of it. I'm not really interested in that stuff, if I'm honest. Not £50,000 interested, anyway.

But yes, I would like to take some short courses, and that was originally my plan (to avoid such crippling debt*), but like I say, I'm not sure where I'm going to live while I do that.

*My family is not well off. The other people I go to college with at the moment are rich as balls. Like 'daddy pays for my £250 flat while I'm wasting this year by not trying hard enough' rich. Like 'I went to private school and played lacrosse at a near-professional level' rich. It's not called Broken Britain for nothing.

Oh, PS: I'm not trying to argue with you. It's just been quite therapeutic to vent a little bit.

Thanks
    Thank you Maidith, both those schools look incredibly promising.

Oh, and I figure this thread could be used for other people in the UK who have similar enquiries. Give and take, right? I found two schools in the UK that offer courses focussed on Game Art with some games design thrown in, so if anyone wants that:
    Teeside University
    This one is more about 3D modelling. I mean, they say they teach you how to use Z-brush and 3DS max, so... yeah.
    Norwich University of the Arts
    A Quote from these guys: "The curriculum focuses on the art of games and the idea of game form, enabling students to become confident in the core elements of digital game development and production – art, design and technology."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Perhaps what you want is not a college, but an art atelier which focuses solely on academical art training. I believe the site artrenewal.org still maintains a list of those.

Thanks
    I will look at that, arenhaus, thank you