4 Arm Critique!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 4 Arm Critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

4 Arm Critique!

Hey guys, need help on this one, what could i improve on this guy? composition, design, anatomy, weapons? over all i think i like the composition, and the pose, just a bit unsure about the weapons, and possibly the anatomy. (don't get too serious about anatomy though, this is not supposed to be scientifically correct working 4 arm deal, just looking to get something that looks right)

So yea, all help is much appreciated. Name:  Carambe.png
Views: 605
Size:  285.8 KB

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like there are two ribcages, so the bottom arms also have one. That looks odd I think, I would just attach the lower two arms under the top ones. Not sure, hard subject. Anyway, the posture is a bit awkward, have you tried flipping th canvas horizontally? Right now it looks kinda like he's trying to be sexy with the no pants thing and his posture.

Clockwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Ribcage is basically an elongated ribcage. Left leg is supposed to be bent. If more people think it looks odd then i might need to done something about it.

Haven't had flipped it horizontally, by doing so, the pose still looked alright to me, But the horns didn't, i discovered a major fault right there. Thanks for the thoughts.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,654 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think there's bit of a problem that currently the image put emphasis on the lower pecks by obscuring the upper one, making it look less like an elongated ribcage and more like a guy with a reaaaaaaly odd head. So overall I'd lessen the attention of the lower muscles by either posing the guy differently or make the lines/shading in that area less attention grabbing.
    Also on realism level there's problem of just putting identical chest muscles twice in one body, it's more than likely that the lower pair would have somewhat different shape to accommodate what they do (like the range of lifting the arms up might be less than that of the upper arm pair), or be less shapely etc.
    Here I try to explain that with images (red meaning the part that's easily seen as "head" area):
    Name:  redline_arms.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  122.1 KB

As for the leg, it's missing a knee/the muscles don't follow the knee.
    Name:  legs-thigh.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  44.8 KB

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    at first glance the major issue is that the planes of the torso are not aligned! draw a straight line from the center of the neck/ head to the center of the crotch and you'll see what I mean. start out with a boxy shape for the torso and add the arms, and be sure to think about the proportion and angle of the head in conjunction to the spine. it's helpful to think of the head in yoga terms, "shoulder head". right now he is pinching so many nerves in that position! it's very unnatural to turn one's head without the shoulders. doable, but unlikely. I would like to see you start this over with a new approach

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The four arm thing is really tough. No getting around it. When it works best (like, Frazetta), the artist isn't so much trying to develop a plausible anatomy that would work in any pose and make a picture that works in that one moment in that one pose.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the critiques you all. I appreciate it, Helped a lot.

Stoat Actually this is a school assignment, and where were required to make something that could possible work, and try to avoid the typical, "just put the lower arms under the armpits of the upper arms" thing. So im really trying to make this work.

My SKETCHbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So i Just went on with it. Definitely gonna make improvements so if you guys would be so kind to give suggestions!

Name:  small.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  411.6 KB

My SKETCHbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest you carefully re-read the posts above, esp. TinyBird's, and apply the pointers already given.

Members who have read this thread: 62