Thanks

Cool Any creatives that have tendonitis?

Hey all,

I'm a 32 year old (but immortally young in appearance much to the shock of young women--but that's not the issue of this post) graphic designer/illustrator that deal with storyboards and have published comics in the independent market and work at my day job..a coffeehouse (go figure..we all need free caffeine).
    Anyway...I've been working in the coffeeshop for almost 5 years now and for some reason I'm starting to develop some tingling and some pain on my right drawing arm because I do work with computers, drawing and working at the coffee bar (espresso machine). I suspect it's the latter and may have to leave my job in order to 'save' my creative career and reduce RSI but will have to see a doctor first to determine the situation.
    Has any of you had any carpal tunnel's or use wrist braces? Does using a arm band or brace make it a challenge to draw/paint? I'm kind of concerned that if I stay in that day job, I could blow out my arm within several months or a year from now..so the only right thing to do is to find new work to support myself and my creative endeavors.
    I refuse to give my dreams up and would like to get more involved in the arts industry because I love what you all guys do and it's very inspiring work in the RPGs, video games, movies, animation, etc..you name it.
    This is a wonderful community here and I plan on sticking with this for years to come.

Any comments or suggestions, experiences regarding tendonitis/carpal tunnel's, etc..it's appreciated.

Peace,

Adam

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    forum search!
    here

I dont have it...

Thanks
    I have temporary discomfort/tingling in my right forearm/wrist/hand. It goes away a couple days after it shows up, and if I've been drawing/working/computing hard for awhile it shows up...I would like to know how I can adjust to stop it too. Since I set my desk up FAIRLY ergonomically things have been fine. If its your job then

Thanks

cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Denart
    forum search!
    here

I dont have it...
    Thanks for the link..I think I remember seeing that thread a while ago. You're lucky you don't have it. Mine's not full blown but it's just getting there.

Peace,

Adam

Thanks

yeah..

Quote Originally Posted by WildSpruceMoose
    I have temporary discomfort/tingling in my right forearm/wrist/hand. It goes away a couple days after it shows up, and if I've been drawing/working/computing hard for awhile it shows up...I would like to know how I can adjust to stop it too. Since I set my desk up FAIRLY ergonomically things have been fine. If its your job then
    Same here..but it's in my wrist, thumb (or heel of my palm by the marsopal(?) muscle), parts of the forearm, sometimes in the bicep area (that's during day job thing), and wee bit at the shoulder but it's once in a while.

It can go away at times and flare up when I'm at work and then at the home studio, it can get in the way of my ability to concentrate so I shake it off when I can. I'm in the same boat as you are in...drawing/computing digital art-web browsing/working. My desk is fine for now since it's just a regular table since I just moved in my apartment back home in Cleveland from Vermont. I use a 20 inch LCD so I'm happy with it and causes way less headaches compared to CRTs.

I suspect it's coming from my day job since a lot of action comes from working at the espresso bar. If it is..then I will have to walk out of it and find something else in order to save my creative endeavors.

Peace.

Thanks
    Yeah, good news is from that older thread it seems to be reversible/treatable. I was worried there. I mean, its even giving me problems right now--but then again I've been drawing a lot more in the last 2 days than I have in the past 2 weeks.
    I'll just have to be more careful I guess. It is scary when I get that sudden jolt of pain from my tendon in my wrist.

Thanks
    Stretch it daily, and also exercise it.

Do wrist curls in both directions. You'll feel better after a while. Just don't do too much weight to start out.

Or buy one of these "Forearm Flexor" things. I have one, and it's great. It's progressive resistance, so you just bend it as far as you can or want.
    Any creatives that have tendonitis?
    You can put you arm in either way, depending on which way you want to bend your wrist.
    I found one at Walmart.

Thanks
    I am glad someone else brought this up, i am also getting pains and everything in my wrist and hand etc.. I was the one that posted the other tendinitis thread.

I draw, paint, use a computer, / my wrist almost 24/7 soo that isnt good.

Well i didn't get much help from others so i decided to look some stuff up on my own. I did a google search on tendinitis, and read some stuff up on it, and found out alot of useful information.

I think it is best that you find out as much as you can on the situation, what the symptons are or anything. It is good to know what is going on.

i did that and it has helped, and then i went and got, advil. and a excersize ball from the store.

I take advil, 2 tablets of the none extra strength, i think every 4 or 5 hours or something, but have been skipping hehe. But what that does is takes out the inflamation in your hand and wrist.

And the exercise ball is really good, it strengthens your hand muscles and wrist and forearm, all different ways. I recommend getting it, start off slowly when you have the problems, then when you get rid of it, do it more often to keep it strong.

Also one of the most important things is, to take time off, at least 3 weeks, to heal it. Then don't do as much afterwards. One thing i have realized is it doesn't hurt my wrist as much if i just draw, it is the computer the most! I recommend staying away from the mouse and keyboard as much as you can.

Also warm up before you draw. Draw circles and squares, etc for about 20 mins on paper, before you start, to warm up you muscles/tendons.

Where a wrist guard, or w.e they are called.

And do not switch hands and start to use your left hand, cause you will get tendinitis in your left and right hand. That is the worst mistake people do.

Good luck, i am still injured, but i feel that it is getting better, but when i go back to the computer, cause i work around a comp all day, it gets worse. So hope you can do better. After work i try not to touch a comp. Try to just rest, but it takes away my drawing time. Too. Until i am fully healed, i will go back to doing more, but still alot less then i use to, i am going to cut out on the comp tremendously. And do more drawing. But still not too too much, just enough

Thanks

:)

Yeah, good news is from that older thread it seems to be reversible/treatable. I was worried there. I mean, its even giving me problems right now--but then again I've been drawing a lot more in the last 2 days than I have in the past 2 weeks.
    I'll just have to be more careful I guess. It is scary when I get that sudden jolt of pain from my tendon in my wrist.
    yes, it's treatable to a certain extent until time goes by. Even though, it'll still annoy us.

To Chrozometroid...Re: forearm flexor workout devices..that's not a bad idea. However, the tendons in the arm/wrists are inflammed mostly instead of muscle..to my understanding and if it gets worse, it's surgery time. I'm fortunate my arm is not blown out and can still draw.

To Warhead82, me too..I work/draw/do comp work..but doing comp work is unavoidable because I surf the net and eat/breathe email as my main form of communication next to a cell phone. Because I'm hard of hearing (or hearing impaired, thereof), I like using email for its convenience. The cell phone can be used via adapter for my hearing aid...but I'm getting off the subject here . The main thing is I use my comp for digital art and do traditional techniques by hand, also.
    The 'ben wa'/exercise ball is a cheap alternative at sporting goods shops and comfortable to work out on. I think the goal is to stretch/circulate the blood and do warm up sketches which is a very important thing to do.
    Re: Wristguard/braces...I'm considering arm supports but may want to consult it w/ a doctor first to make sure if it's appropriate course of action.

At least the pain went away a little bit today at work but I'm being cautious because my supervisor told me to stay off the espresso machine the whole night. lol.

So Warhead82, no shame in having tendonitis..it comes with the territory of being an artist and expected :evilmusta

Peace,

Adam

Thanks
    Well, i would leave the surgery thing for last, unless you have tried everything, every exersise, healing method, advil, inflamatory drugs etc. Surgery last...

And yeah i am no a shamed it just really sucks, that the situation even happends. My is vvery minor, but i would like to get rid of it!

Good luck to you. Stay away from the comp as much as you can. I know how it is though, going on it 24/7

Thanks

heh

Quote Originally Posted by Warhead82
    Well, i would leave the surgery thing for last, unless you have tried everything, every exersise, healing method, advil, inflamatory drugs etc. Surgery last...

And yeah i am no a shamed it just really sucks, that the situation even happends. My is vvery minor, but i would like to get rid of it!

Good luck to you. Stay away from the comp as much as you can. I know how it is though, going on it 24/7
    I'm not touching surgery . My sister in law works in the medical field so she has connections to get me diagnosis and I'm going to pursue preventive care first via healing methods, exercise, etc.
    So yeah..it sucks. As for staying away..err...been using comps since the early 1980s..so it's in my blood..lol.

Adam

Thanks
    I've had that problem also but, I thought it was from drawing too much. It's not so much as my wrist as it is my thumb and palm that hursts the most. So, I just soak my hand when it's unbearable and it's better. but i also wrap it up in a ace bandage on the regular.

Thanks

Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGELICA
    I've had that problem also but, I thought it was from drawing too much. It's not so much as my wrist as it is my thumb and palm that hursts the most. So, I just soak my hand when it's unbearable and it's better. but i also wrap it up in a ace bandage on the regular.
    My thumb has tingling sensation time to time but usually the palm or inside the wrists, or shoulder gets affected. Right now I'm trying to get out of the coffeehouse job by finding new work because that may solve the problem of reducing or preventing more abuse on my hands.
    Working at the espresso bar is fun but not quite 'healthy' for your arm(s). If you stay at the bar for so long and doing that for a few years, it'll get to you and your arms will weaken. It's kind of hard to explain the repetitive motion of how it works but if you go to a nearby Starbucks and watch how the baristas work on the machine, you will see what I'm talking about. I'll bet you that person you watch will slap/grasp the portafilter (the handle bars) really hard to twist it out and pull shots. The grasping action affects the heel of the palm and wrist, even the elbow.
    And watch how their forearms twist as they dump the ground coffee. Imagine doing this almost everyday up to a few years...that kind of motion combined with art/computer work can take some kind of toll.
    I'm thinking of trying to work at a bookstore because one bookstore has given me a hard time for years until a new competitor came in on the scene and I'm doing something about it right now and get some medical attention/advice from a doctor on what to do. It's the wise thing to go about things, I think.
    And in the same time, save my creative career (whew).
    Angelica, did you go to Mentor High school?

Adam

Thanks

Talking

I feel your pain, i get alot of discomfort in the top portion of my right wrist/forarm as well, but i think it's from too many rapid left right motions with the mouse. Kinda had me miffed when it showed up since ive ALWAYS kept great posture on the mouse, i never use a pad on my Ikea desk and my hand is like 1 ft in with my whole forearm resting comfortably on the table. What ads to my problems is i can't even take Anti-inflamitories because of he allergys to them, it would kinda kill me off.

Maybe when money is no object a nice touch screen wacom tablet might be in order! ok who wants my artzII
    draw, draw, erase, repeat

Thanks

oh yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by ::EPIC::
    I feel your pain, i get alot of discomfort in the top portion of my right wrist/forarm as well, but i think it's from too many rapid left right motions with the mouse. Kinda had me miffed when it showed up since ive ALWAYS kept great posture on the mouse, i never use a pad on my Ikea desk and my hand is like 1 ft in with my whole forearm resting comfortably on the table. What ads to my problems is i can't even take Anti-inflamitories because of he allergys to them, it would kinda kill me off.

Maybe when money is no object a nice touch screen wacom tablet might be in order! ok who wants my artzII
    I have a Wacom tablet and it's fantastic. BUT I would kill for a touch screen wacom. But I do know that I get irritated sometimes using the mouse..I switch from using a trackball (logitech) on my laptop and then use a mouse on my desktop (yes I have 2 comps). My current table is like almost at the height of my hips so I'm working on ways to make it easier to work around. It's no fancy table but it'll do since I just moved back here from Vermont. I would love to have an ergonomic desk when I have a house or a condo.
    It sucks, I know.

Adam

Thanks
    No. I didn't attend Mentor. I've been out of high school 10 years : But anyway why do you ask?

Thanks

to angelica

Quote Originally Posted by ANGELICA
    No. I didn't attend Mentor. I've been out of high school 10 years : But anyway why do you ask?
    I was just curious because you mentioned going to Lakeland college and that I knew an old friend who used to live in Kirtland. And for myself, I've been out of high school a bit over 10 years..well..it's self evident. lol. If you must know, I went to Mayfield High.

Feel free to private message me your AIM or Yahoo if you wish to chat.

Peace,

Adam

Thanks
    Woke up this morning and my wrist SEEMS fine, at first glance. Give me until 2 of drawing/computing and I'll have to sit down for a bit and rest...going to try those squeeze ball exercises and other wrist movements when it starts bugging me today and also going to get a good warm-up.

Best of luck.

Thanks

You're fortunate

Woke up this morning and my wrist SEEMS fine, at first glance. Give me until 2 of drawing/computing and I'll have to sit down for a bit and rest...going to try those squeeze ball exercises and other wrist movements when it starts bugging me today and also going to get a good warm-up.

Best of luck.
    Same here..so far the arm is okay this morning..but of course...I'm waiting till I go to work later tonight..if it flares up, then..yikes.

Adam

Thanks
    Lots of good advice so far.

If you're having symptoms, try to ice your wrists/hands in the evenings after work and wear the splints/braces at night.

Exercise/stretch before you start working--there are examples online of exercises that can help reduce the risk of injury.

As someone else said, you can try using the moush with your left hand. I work all day on the computer and use the mouse with my left hand for 3D work (and netsurfing at lunch). I keep my wacom on the right. I'm right-handed, but dragging, pointing and clicking is easy enough to do with my left-hand.

Use wrist-rests and mouse pad rests and braces while working.

I started getting aches in my wrist and thumb and hand a few years ago. I did the ice/splinting/exercise thing for a while until it went away. Now I still use the mouse left-handed and try to keep a good ergonomic position when at the computer.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Went and discussed things with the doctor, and a suggestion was to every few minutes or so, stretch the wrist and forearm up down left right, to loosen up the tendons, so that each time you go back to the mouse its never the exact same position so as not to wear out just one specific spot on the tendon itself, rest and ice of course follow up with those whenever possible.
    draw, draw, erase, repeat

Thanks

Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by ::EPIC::
    Went and discussed things with the doctor, and a suggestion was to every few minutes or so, stretch the wrist and forearm up down left right, to loosen up the tendons, so that each time you go back to the mouse its never the exact same position so as not to wear out just one specific spot on the tendon itself, rest and ice of course follow up with those whenever possible.
    I'll give that a try..could be helpful.

Adam