Sketchbook: Down the Rabbit Hole We Go

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Down the Rabbit Hole We Go

Hey there! I've been slinging some sketches and paintings up on tumblr for a while but rarely get any feedback that helps me improve. I'm always looking to make progress though at times I feel really slow and unsavory. I'm gonna try to post a few of my recent and a little of some old stuff on this beginning post... hopefully this doesn't flip out and mess up. Here we go!
    Name:  Rock Man Graphic.png
Views: 46
Size:  19.9 KB

Name:  Wip.png
Views: 205
Size:  801.0 KB
    Name:  WIP 2.png
Views: 165
Size:  173.0 KB
    Name:  Zombie Growl 1.png
Views: 203
Size:  1.27 MB
    Name:  Indian Dream Catcher Treasure WIP 1.png
Views: 202
Size:  1.07 MB
    Name:  Zombie face 4.png
Views: 163
Size:  118.3 KBName:  Zombie Face 1.png
Views: 186
Size:  189.3 KBName:  Thumbnail PNG.png
Views: 172
Size:  110.3 KB
    Name:  1.png
Views: 162
Size:  389.5 KB
    Name:  2.png
Views: 164
Size:  842.7 KB
    Name:  4 progress 2.png
Views: 171
Size:  1.37 MB
    Name:  Embrace the Monster Within.png
Views: 1776
Size:  236.0 KB

Okay! Test post complete. Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll post. I lumped em together. These range from different studies.

In the future I'll just be posting mass amounts of each study. Hopefully I'll have the fortitude to make it a habit and post every few days or so. Onward!

Last edited by RedQueen9; January 15th, 2014 at 01:33 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey! I can tell you have a knowck for colour which is something great cause in general people tend to run from it so that's half of the struggle done! I'm personally diggin the still lifes, those will teach you so much regarding color theory and value application that they're really a valuable study. The frazzeta stidy can help but I'm personally, not a big fan on doing these master studies until you've got the foundational nailed to the wall entirely, since I think those teach you more on subtle things rather than basic stuff,cause more often than not advance ilustrators have included distortions and subtle things that are hard to distinguish and can actually teach you the wrong lessons, plus I find that they're influential in developing a style which isn't good in my opinion since you'd want to come up with your way of working things out really personally and then develop from there, so I'd say those are for a later stage. Maybe I'd advice some more traditional drawing studies to further polish your anatomy and line control and more greyscale paintings that will help you get a deeper grasp on values.

Still I find your stuff is nice and that you should keep pushing cause it's gonna pay off for certain, keep it up man!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Suira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Suira for the help! I'm starting to do more still lives and studies from actual reference.

But in the meantime I cooked up a few paintings, though 4 are just warm ups that are blah with the exception for one cool design I wouldn't mind having on a shirt, and the other are from my head and need tons of work. My environments whether interior or exterior are the hardest struggle for me. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how to contend with all the light sourcing and where and how hard and soft shadows should land. And in conjunction with color... it whoops me pretty hard. But I'm starting still life studies to counteract that; possibly movie stills also.

well here they are.

Name:  Dragon Statue.png
Views: 32
Size:  204.0 KBName:  Dragon Statue_Color.png
Views: 30
Size:  435.0 KB
    Name:  Cube Buildings are Terrible.png
Views: 25
Size:  228.2 KB
    Name:  Rock Man Graphic.png
Views: 19
Size:  19.9 KB