Thanks

I never read. Recommend me books!

So I will be completely honest. I never read books. Last book I read was in junior year of high school, which is a while ago.

I am trying to change that but with all the things I have going on right now I end up getting bored and never finishing anything.

So.. Any good recommendations? Something that I wont drop after the first sitting? I like fantasy and sci-fi genres but I am open to anything at this point. Need a good page-turner.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    It's difficult to recommend stuff to people without having any idea of what their tastes are. My recommendation is to go to Goodreads and check out their lists page. For example this one: https://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/fantasy

Look for books that have a rating of 3.8 or better. Most of those are going to be well-written, whether you are personally interested in them or not. I've discovered that YA and Paranormal Romance readers get disproportionately excited about their books so some of the ones that have 4 ratings in those genres are mediocre. But otherwise this is a great way to discover a ton of really good books.

If you're looking for a few good authors to check out, I recommend Terry Pratchett, Guy Gavriel Kay, Iain M. Banks, Peter S. Beagle, Emma Bull, Jasper Fforde, Neil Gaiman, William Gibson, Frank Herbert, Patricia McKillip, Charles Stross and Vernor Vinge. Don't know whether you'll drop any of these or not, but these are people whose books I consistently like. There's others who haven't written enough stuff for me to recommend them, or who are inconsistent, or whom I really like even though I know they aren't that great. There's a lot of reading material out there.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    I've been reading the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly, and the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child over the past few years. Harry Bosch is a homocide detective, and reacher is an all-round hard man ex-army. Good for a blast (especially Connelly, who has a bit more finesse).

Thanks
    An easy fun read is the White Trash Zombie series. Quite a funny and smart story.
    Name:  4168JCwGDgL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_[1].jpg
Views: 655
Size:  20.2 KB

Thanks
    You should try reading some of the Halo science fiction.
    They are better if you have not played the video games, which taint the books by association.
    There are enough scenes of military conflict to keep you excited, but also aspects of political intrigue and Philosophy. You are prompted to question certain aspects of morality, namely the idea that the needs of many outweigh the needs of the few, but there are other things.
    The books are perhaps geared towards people to whom science fiction is not foreign. If you have seen the film Blade Runner, or read much of Isaac Asimov, you will have experienced some musings on the subject of artificial intelligence. The Halo books bring up some interesting points on the idea of what love could mean to a man-made creature that nonetheless experiences conciousness on the same level that humans do, and then begins to delve into the implications of any number of conclusions that might be drawn thereafter.
    Don't get me wrong, the books are just as much romps through space as they are anything more high-brow, but they are often ignored or overlooked in terms of literary substance in favour of more traditional Sci-Fi.
    Please look at my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Flowers for Algernon (Charly) by Daniel Keyes
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 686 Posts
    The philosophy of Quantum Theory (sans the mathematics). Any Mack Bolan novel. The Destroyer novels.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    So something fantasy or sci-fi that is easy to read and a pageturner?

Here are some examples.

The Bartimaeus triloogy by Jonathan Stroud.
    It's an alternative reality story where all the political power of the world is held by magicians.

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman.
    A funny story about the apocalypse.

Theres also Harry Potter. (no introduction needed.)

The running man by Stephen King(or Richard Bachman.)
    A dystophic future story where a man enters a deadly game show.

Good luck finding something you like.
    Oh and have you considered graphic novels?

Thanks
    If you're open to historical fiction I'd strongly recommend the Flashman series. The first book is quite short and one hell of a page turner.

It's hard to tell without knowing your tastes as others have said. I read a lot of fantasy and sci-fi when I was younger but most of it I wouldn't recommend. Generally speaking I'd recommend reading the classics first. Jules Verne, H.G. Wells... (The Island of Dr. Moreau and The War of the Worlds are my favourites).

Now for really old books (my favourite kind) I'd go with Don Quixote. It loses a whole lot of it's magic in the translation but it's still one of the best reads I can think of.
    Shoulder to the wheel, my friend!
    My sketchbook - Harsh critique always welcome!

Thanks
    To learn how to write fiction in the English language, Tolkien. There has never been a greater master work of the English language ever written. (Some equal, certainly, but "apples and oranges"...) You'll want to start with The Hobbit, I've heard Lord of the Rings poses difficulty to many, and the Silmarillion is very difficult to read. I have been a bookworm all of my life and have read The Lord of the Rings trilogy 14 times between the ages of 8 and 18.

The importance of going to the classics cannot be overstated, because one simply cannot achieve greatness in any area of their life by emulating copies of copies of copies. Look to the masterpieces, and you will spot the influence on every popular media figure.

I am currently reading Tantra in Practice by David Gordon White (Princeton University Press), The Vision & The Voice by Aleister Crowley (Sangreal) and DNA and the I Ching by Johnson F. Yan (North Atlantic Books).

"And now there comes an Angel, to hide the tablet with his mighty wing. This Angel has all the colours mingled in his dress; his head is proud and beautiful; his headdress is of silver and red and blue and gold and black, like cascades of water, and in his left hand he has a pan-pipe of the seven holy metals, upon which he plays. I cannot tell you how wonderful the music is, but it is so wonderful that one only lives in one's ears; one cannot see anything any more.

Now he stops playing and moves with his finger in the air. His finger leaves a trail of fire of every colour, so that the whole Aire is become like a web of mingled lights. But through it all drops dew.

(I can't describe these things at all. Dew doesn't represent what I mean in the least. For instance, these drops of dew are enormous globes, shining like the full moon, only perfectly transparent, as well as perfectly luminous.)

And now he shows the tablet again, and he says: As there are 49 letters in the tablet, so are there 49 kinds of cosmos in every thought of God. And there are 49 interpretations of every cosmos, and each interpretation is manifested in 49 ways. Thus also are the calls 49, but to each call there are 49 visions. And each vision is composed of 49 elements, except in the 10th Aethyr, that is accursed, and that hath 42.

All this while the dewdrops have turned into cascades of gold finer than the eyelashes of a little child. And though the extent of the Aethyr is so enormous, one perceives each hair separately, as well as the whole thing at once. And now there is a mighty concourse of angels rushing toward me from every side, and they melt upon the surface of the egg in which I am standing in the form of the god Kneph, so that the surface of the egg is all one dazzling blaze of liquid light.

Now I move up against the tablet, --- I cannot tell you with what rapture. And all the names of God, that are not known even to the angels, clothe me about.

All the seven senses are transmuted into one sense, and that sense is dissolved in itself .. (Here occurs Samadhi.) ... Let me speak, O God; let me declare it ... all. It is useless; my heart faints, my breath stops. There is no link between me and P . . . I withdraw myself. I see the table again.

(He was behind the table for a very long time. O.V.)

And all the table burns with intolerable light; there has been no such light in any of the Aethyrs until now. And now the table draws me back into itself; I am no more.

My arms were out in the form of a cross, and that Cross was extended, blazing with light into infinity. I myself am the minutest point in it. This is the birth of form.

I am encircled by an immense sphere of many-coloured bands; it seems it is the sphere of the Sephiroth projected in the three dimensions. This is the birth of death.

Now in the centre within me is a glowing sun. That is the birth of hell."

- Aleister Crowley, The Cry of the 22nd Aethyr from The Vision & The Voice
    Last edited by Izi; December 27th, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Stieg Larsson's "Girl with the Dragon tattoo" and "Little Star" by John ajvide Lindqvist.

Thanks
    I'm currently reading The Child Thief (by artist Brom) and I'm on the sixth book in the Wheel of Time series. I highly recommend both but the Wheel of Time books are very long and kinda dry so it's not something I'd read to get back into the habit of reading. You can try and check out some Lovecraft stories. they're fairly short and really freaky. Stephen King has a very entertaining way of writing books so I think you'd enjoy them. World War Z is an amazing book (movie kinda sucked and had nothing to do with anything in the book) and it's a page-turner.

Thanks
    If you're still looking...

I second the Bartimaeus series (Jonathan Stroud; first book - The Amulet of Samarkand) Clever, intelligent YA fantasy that pulls you in fast and doesn't let go.

Along similar lines, the Artemis Fowl series (Eoin Colfer; first book - Artemis Fowl) Sharp, witty YA take on old fairy lore, neatly blended with sci-fi. I also enjoyed Colfer's The Wish List, a stand-alone YA fantasy about a girl ghost trying to win her way to Heaven after an unfortunate death.

Ignoring the terrible movies, the Percy Jackson series (Rick Riordan; first book - The Lightning Thief) offers a nice YA update on classical Greek mythology, touching on a few more obscure offshoots.

As has been mentioned, there's always Harry Potter (J. K. Rowling; first book - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone), which is definitely worth a try.

As an artist, you might enjoy the Stoneheart trilogy (Charlie Fletcher; first book - Stoneheart) YA fantasy about a boy who finds himself caught up in an invisible war raging through London, fought between the city's statues and gargoyles and other dark forces.

If you're looking for irreverent humor, you can't beat Douglas Adams - pretty much anything he writes. They tend to be light on plot, but highly amusing.

Off to Be the Wizard (by Scott Meyer) reads like Douglas Adams Lite - a fun, fast-paced tale of a computer geek who stumbles across a data file that controls reality.

Stephen Brust's Vlad Taltos series (first book - Jhereg) builds an elaborate sci-fi/fantasy world with wit and depth.

Many older stories - by Jules Verne, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Robert E. Howard, Henry Kuttner, etc. - are in the public domain, available for free downloading as eBooks or PDF files. You might try some of those to see if anything tickles your fancy.

If you're exceptionally bored, I have a book review blog for further browsing.
    -----
    - Brightdreamer
    Go find something flat, and scribble on it. People have been doing that for tens of thousands of years, and it's mostly been ok.
    - from The Daily Humorscope
    Brightdreamer's Sketchbook - Brightdreamer's Book Reviews (blog)

Thanks
    I seem to read alot of comics but its more visual look for me, if your interested in it, give it a try at your local comic book store. I sometime read graphic novels like the Hobbit. Maybe your favorite movies is a good idea, whatever movie you like watching maybe get the issued book for that movie because you get the whole story from a book you read and more joy sometimes.

Thanks
    Steppenwolf–Hermann Hesse
    Journey to Ixtlan–Carlos Castaneda

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bill618 For This Useful Post:

Izi