Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Grumpysaur's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hi grumpy, you've got some serious dedication (especially in powering through all that perspective stuff), so kudos for that! You're going to be a master in no time. That Stoker still is amazing.

Keep up the good work
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Awesome Sculpey bust! And I am so envious of the edges on those eggs. How long did the movie still studies take? Those are great, as is your portrait (Drake)? Love the catboy, too!

Thanks
    Lighting! It never ends with that one. Or perspective. Or anything fundamentals really. But you made quite a few new studies since my last visit. Really nice to see the process (and progress). The Stoker one is gorgeous!

I also recognized the dome study and the conceptcookie sheet. :o) On my to-do list both, and I think you officially motivate me to get on with the rest of my studies here, as well as perspective.. and life studies. So, thank you! :o)
    The key is to start doing. The rest falls into place eventually.

Sketchblog | DeviantART

Thanks
    @ashess- Hi Ashess! Yes yes. Lines! Oh how they are tricky for me. I have been trying to work on them in a few studies I haven't posted. Ack. So much to think about.

@Dahlia- I really admire your creativity and what you put into your finished pieces. Thanks so much for your encouragement.

@verilyvexed- Thank you! You are being to kind about my eggy edges, for sure. The black and white movie and photo studies? They took about 20-30 minutes... I didn't time them... But they felt fairly quick. The portrait's not Drake, but a model. . . Antonio something or other. I didn't quite capture his likeness and I indeed, made him more Drake like.

@RaliVanMinks- Yes, it's never ending! Sometimes it's easy to forget to make actual personal, finished pieces. It seems like it's easy to think that I don't know enough and therefore I can't do anything of my own. . . which is silly. Glad I could motivate you a little. Cheers.

Really wish my scanner was still working. Can't bring myself to take pictures of my physical sketchbook, since it eats away at the time I have to spend on art.

Here's a few thumbnails that I based off of my movie/photo thumbnail studies. I'm hoping it might build my imagination skills a bit. Maybe it would have been better doing one study and then one imagination after, instead of doing a whole bunch at one time. Not sure.

Name:  Photo study application.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  302.3 KB

Next are some stubby apple bananas from life. So short and stubby, so delicious. I totally screwed it up towards the end when I got my layers mixed up. I painted some background texture lightly over the whole thing intending to erase it off of the banana part. . . but I painted directly on my main layer and couldn't go back far enough in history to eliminate it. So half of the painting got totally washed out and I had to quickly paint it in again. Struggles. Arg.

Name:  light study banana copy.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  212.3 KB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Epic studies, you are going to be an art powerhouse in no time at this rate. The sculpey head looks great, nice one

Thanks
    Wow girl, you are just a fount of artistic energy and determination!! Workin' it HARD!! That's awesome that you're making a sculpture to draw from.. I'm thinking about making a Fixler planes of the head sculpt. And your form drawings from life are looking excellent! Here's a little trick I came up with to prevent the issue you had with the midget bananas.. I always paint on a new layer and when I'm satisfied with how it looks I merge it down onto my background copy. Yes, I said background copy.. control click on the background layer and duplicate it, that way if I accidentally paint right on it I still have an exact copy, I can trash the botched one and not lose much work. Then after I've merged a few layers onto the bg copy I'll go ahead and merge the copy and the original bg, duplicate it again, create a new blank layer and save the file. It's a little ritual I do every so often, so I always have 2 identical bg layers and a fresh blank layer on top, (which is highlighted - that's important so it's set up to be the one you're working on). This has saved my bacon on numerous occasions! In fact lately I've taken to making duplicates of some of my other layers as well and moving them way down the stack where I won't accidentally draw on them, just in case. Lol, I did that on my 'paper doll' where I was designing a costume on it, because I had all these different layers - one for each garment, one for his hair, several different outfits going all at once, a lot of stuff going on. It was confusing after a while, and I wanted to make sure I didn't paint something on the wrong layer, so I duped just about all of them and stuck them down under the bg copy.
    "Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your commitment to foundational studies is inspiring, gives me a bit of a shot in the arm just looking at them.
    I've briefly browsed Ctrl+Paint but not really read through it yet, would you recommend the site for someone like me who is trying to rebuild from the ground up, art-wise?
    Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    @Bri- Cheers to you. The sculpey bust was inspired in part, by you and your sculpey skull.

@Darkstrider- You are always very helpful and seem to have solutions for everything! I've learned a ton from you, that's for sure. Darkstrider paperdolls, FTW! Man, I would love to see that Fixler head from you. Seems like it would be so hard.

@fionkell- Well hello and welcome back to CA. So Ctrl+Paint is pretty basic, but it's introduced me to concepts like constructive drawing and working in layers in photoshop that I didn't really think of before. He also allowed me to start studying perspective in a way that was approachable and got rid of a lot of my fears associated with it. His tone is just so friendly and encouraging. I had a look through your work, and it seems like you have the basics down already, so some of his stuff may be too redundant or simple. He has a ton of free videos in the video library section and he does give some great ideas for studies, so it's worth checking out imo. It might be a good idea to browse through some of his videos on the subjects you feel weakest or are not familiar with, to see if there are some things you might take away from them. Playing videos from 18) Theory & Mindset and 19) Study Habits are pretty nice to have on while sketching, because I think most of them are relevant no matter what level you are at.

Ok, so here are some studies... trying to have a bit of fun with brushes and maybe work on my line work a bit, as well as visual library building for fabrics and clothing. Reference taken from Japanese Streets fashion blog.

Name:  Costume Studies copy.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  422.7 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I used someone else's scanner but didn't have time to fiddle with the settings. I think I'm better off just taking pictures. RIP scanner.

Here's some lighting studies. Apparently I forgot to scan some, but they are not that attractive anyway.

Name:  norling april.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  165.1 KB
    Name:  norling april 3.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  149.0 KB

Applied some Norling.

Name:  Cast shadow close light source.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  71.3 KB

I downloaded a worksheet packet from ctrl+paint. It's supposed to be geared toward going from observation to imagination. I took a lot of photos of a lemon and a cube with different angles of lighting and I plan to paint some of the more interesting ones. Here are the first 2.

Name:  lemon lighting studies copy.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  68.2 KB

Here are a few drawings from imagination. I'm trying to relax, put something down, invent as I go, and most importantly, follow through even if I think it is turning out crappy. It's easy for me to get uptight and feel vulnerable about things and not want to try my own stuff. . . because I feel I don't know how to do everything yet and I'm worried it will look shitty. It's also easy to give up on a sketch, when things start to get difficult. It's easy to get locked into this mode of study and following a certain formula and not venturing from it, because it feels safe. I definitely need all those structured copies and assignments but I'm also trying to develop a more playful attitude to counter balance my studies. I think there are a lot of things to be discovered if I just commit to putting a few things down without my safety nets and just let loose a little.

Name:  April 11 2014.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  239.4 KB
    Name:  April 11 2014 2.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  388.7 KB
    Name:  April 12 2014.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  343.2 KB

Thanks
    Thanks for the info on Ctrl+Paint, there are a lot of videos there, should keep me busy Good lighting studies there.

I understand what you mean about getting locked into a "study mode", I think of it as a trap that you can easily fall into and it is quite difficult to shake off. Like you said though the key to avoiding this is loosening up and remembering to have funtime sketches too, using them the explore without feeling like you have to follow the set formula all the time. It can also be a good excuse to play with different mediums without worrying about "the proper way".
    Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Q__Q yeah I'm stuck in the study mode as well. seconding fionkell's comment.
    So go crazy!! groaarrrrr I'll not judge during your experimental phases.
    Good studies in your recent post though... I have to must it thoroughly..
    For your pencils I suggest trying to leave a bit more white area for skin, since that is your lightest value possible and with pencils you cant go too dark as easily. I still need to figure this out myself, but the result is gorgeous!!
    Keep up the working always a pleasure

Thanks
    I like the lady in the tree, and the screaming lemons are cool (terribly disconcerting in a good way!) 'Study mode' is a nasty little bugger. Everything always looks so accurate when done with reference, so I get really self-conscious about the lower accuracy of imagination stuff. When I was determined to finally start doing some imagination stuff I took a 50cent school spiral notebook and dedicated it as my crap doodle notebook. Anytime I wanted to draw something that I knew was going to suck, I would draw it in there and then promptly tear it out and throw it away. Helped me get over the mental block of soiling up my good sketchbooks (which was a stupid mental block to have in the first place - that's what sketchboooks are for...)

Thanks
    It's great to hear you guys say that you struggle with study mode too. That sounds a little bad of me maybe. . . but I admire all of your work and your ability to do imaginative stuff. . .so knowing that you are able to push through those feelings, makes me feel like I can do it too. Ah, you guys are the best.

@fionkell- No problem, hope you find something useful at ctrl paint. Good to know you can relate. I will loosen up if it kills me!

@Pou- Hey, you can judge me all you want! Don't feel like you have to hold back. It keeps me striving to be better. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm at the level to implement certain critiques but I always keep them in the back of my head.

Thanks for the tip about values. You are on your way to being a pencil master, so getting a critique from you about my pencil stuff is pretty great.

@Dahlia- Thank you! Ahh, yes. I can so relate about comparing reference stuff to imaginative stuff. I actually have been doing my sketches in really cheap marble books and it does work wonders! I don't throw them away afterward, but it does allows me to draw much much more. When I went to art school, I bought all this fancy art stuff, including nice sketchbooks and I was too timid to use them much, for fear of messing them up. Haha, such a bad mindset to have.

So I had a dream where out of no where, a disembodied voice interrupted the scene that was playing out and said, "You need to start studying the features of the face; eyes, nose, mouth, and ears".

Well, ok. I figured I might as well, since I can't keep from doing portraits. I've started with eyes. The first three pages are from Loomis, Bammes, and Photo ref. The last page is from imagination.

Name:  eyes april1.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  391.5 KB
    Name:  april eyes.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  367.0 KB
    Name:  april eyes 2.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  315.8 KB
    Name:  april eyes 3.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  320.9 KB

Some lighting studies. The perspective on the cube painting is bad. I just lassoed it really quickly. I am a terrible person.

Name:  Loomis lighting.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  299.5 KB
    Name:  lighting 1 ctrl+paint worksheet.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  318.7 KB

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast