Thread: Forum Update

Thanks
    Thanked 6,733 Times in 4,639 Posts

Forum Update

Hi. We need your help. The forum has to move forward and we want to know what features you like and what you don't. Where our strong points are that we need to emphasise, and where the weak points lie.

Also we need to raise money to keep the forums running (hopefully smoother than recently) and would like to have your input. Adverts are of course one avenue, but I know you don't want them splattered everywhere. What would you spend a bit of dosh on? Extra avatars? Tutorials? Shop to sell stuff from where you keep more of the income?

I've already made a huge list and sent it off, but the more input we have, the better.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I won't mind paying a subscription fee to keep things going. Running servers and doing upgrades and improving things don't come for free. People doing those things have to pay rent as well, not artists as well when we bitch about people asking us to work for nothing. But however, make it optional and not a mandatory thing for members. Special aesthetic perks here and there, but not special rules or privileges. Hell, $10 or even $20 is lunch money from a pool of 40 helps a lot. Just skip lunch to help towards running ca.org. If you value it that much, then chip in. Otherwise if you don't it's no real loss is it?
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Portfolio | dA | Facebook |

Thanks
    Im not really to sure what the site needs. The old forums used to have stuff like the thanks button etc that used to be good, other than that im not really to sure how this site can be improved. The real question is why would anyone even want to contribute to the upkeep of the site.
    The Dreamfuel funding was a disaster and Jason got nothing but abuse for it, even though he has said multiple times that he cannot afford the up keep of this sites server forever. The fact is all people care about is the SB section. I am guessing 90% of the people didnt even bother with the Dreamfuel page or for that matter the image gallery thinggy. Jason wanted peoples inputs and help with this site and dreamfuel but all he used to get was abuse on FB when the site went down and demanding their SB's back, so I doubt even 90% of the people that use this site currently would ever pay for anything. Personally I thought Dreamfuel was a good idea, and I understand this site needs funding.

Hope you guys can come up with something.
    Help support CA's future and your own art future, and help Fund

DREAMFUEL

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Well, for one, I am missing the "thanks" feature.

Thanks
    Heh. The thanks button made me lazy. But at the same time I miss it so, yeah, call that one a love/hate relationship.

I'm all for optional subscriptions too. Think it would be a nice way for people to support the site and get some extra perks. And have ads hidden for subscribed members.

Paid for tutorials is another good one. And the shop too.

Cant really think of anything else off the top of my head - a bit braindead at the moment.

Biggest one is site functionality, but thats a slow process so no worries there.

Thanks
    What about offering a portfolio review from industry pro's, or folks who know their stuff, as part of a subscription package? Doesn't have to be compulsory, but it might be a nice incentive to get more subscribers.