Sketchbook: MA sketchbook brings all the girls to the forums.........

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks

MA sketchbook brings all the girls to the forums.........

Time I start A SKETCHBOOOK!

I'm starting a sketchbook since it's what everybody does on this forum and I follow the groups. I should probably introduce myself so: Hello, my name is Dennis and I'm a 16 year old kid from the Netherlands and I want to become concept designer bla bla you've read this story a million times already.

Critique me to death and enjoy!

Thank you for looking through my first bunch of drawings. You might think I never do excercises like skulls, anatomy, poses, but I do. I would have 300 photoshop files filled with this crap for you to watch if I didn't have had to restore my laptop. So you'll have to do with this crap instead.

If you feel like it, leave me a comment containing what you think about the drawings above. Or use the standard comment for sketchbooks right here: "Looks really good! Your improving alot, keep it up!"

-Dennis

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; December 13th, 2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The detail on the Palazzo drawing is not something I would endure doing myself, kudos to your patience. The rose is also very good.
    However, for the figure you are working on, the guy with the sword, there is much to be improved.
    -Your approach to drawing the figure seems flawed. You should start with a gesture, a pose, make it into a mannequin, a framework so to speak and then add mass. It looks like you've just started with mass and that you're really unsure of what the body is doing beneath the clothes and muscle. for example, are you aware of the shape of the head beneath the hood? are you aware of where the knee is? What do all these muscles sit on?
    I think you would benefit greatly from doing life drawing or getting a good book on figure drawing.
    maybe Loomis' "Figure Drawing for all it's worth"
    or, a favourite of mine: "Figure Drawing: Design and Invention" by Michael Hampton

oh and your cartoons are pretty cool
    See you in the Teen Challenge, I hope this was useful.

When they ask you why you didn't become a professional artist, must the answer then be laziness?
    Join me in search of a better answer.

Thanks
    Dam right it was useful, I normally don't draw figures in this matter and start with some sort of pose or skeleton, but I thought that this is te kinda speedy way to do it. Because for the most part I do line drawings, but I really want to learn that painty look where it is strokes with different brushes and its not lines, so what you see there is my first attempt at trying to do so

Thanks for the link to your favourite book I've already checked it out and tomorrow I'll give it a complete read and I'll do different excercises.

Thanks alot sure helped!

Ma Sketchbook brings all the girls to the forums, damn right its worse than yours.

Thanks
    This is my summary of the first 20 pages of the book and 2 A3 fulled with poses. I used a really nice website ( someone linked it on here somewhere ) that shows you a photograph for a minute in this case, so all of them were done in 60 seconds. Really enjoy this so far and I'm gonna continue on right now. Only 200 more pages to go!!

thanks for the tip

Last edited by Dennis Kessel; November 20th, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
    Ma Sketchbook brings all the girls to the forums, damn right its worse than yours.

Thanks
    Diggin' the gesture sketches, I think more of those will definitely help with making your people come to life even more. Keep posting!

Thanks
    Thanks for the comment, I'm in school in now but ill do another 2 of these pages in a few hours!

EDIT: Here they are. Again all done in one minute, but sometimes I just got the skeleton down in that time so some of them I came back to for another 25 seconds or so. I'm gonna do a few of 5-10 minutes now to get a bit more detail out.

Here is a bit from the anatomy book about the spine.

I used the same website and now I did a "lesson" with warming up and longer pictures the longer lessons take. So this is one I got 30 minutes for and I realise the arms are to long. But would love a revieuw from any of you

Last edited by Dennis Kessel; November 20th, 2013 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks
    nice job on the poses there! It looks to me like you're improving steadily!

I'd like to suggest to you a rather old book (but incredibly useful) that deals with the human figure. It's called "How to Draw the Human Figure" by Jose M. Parramon. You may be able to find a copy at your local library or maybe find it somewhere online, but there's an interesting section that shows the front, side and back muscle anatomy of a healthy male.

I read an interesting section in this book that said that Michelangelo puts a lot of emphasis on drawing the torso of the body first (before the head), and ever since I started drawing starting from the torso, my figure skills have improved a lot. Just something to consider!

by the way, your drawing of the Palazzo Madame is very detailed! The time put into it is noticeable. Love it, and can't wait to see more of your work!

p.s. the title of your sketchbook... ha!

>>>DeviantART

>>>Sketchbook

>>>Website: Coming soon...

>>>LinkedIn

Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion I tried ordering it from amazon but most of them dont ship to the netherlands, ans the one that does takes about a month to get here A dutch website has none in stock but Ill see or send them a mail to ask when they will be in stock again. Till then Ill continur with the book BDHD suggested. Thanks for the advice and comment!

-Dennis

Thanks
    Hello man, good start to your sketchbook!
    You should go and have a look at proportions. Not only the stereotypical 7-8 heads but how much space the arms and legs take up etc. The arms of your gestures are almost so long that the hands would end at the knees sometimes. The wrist usually ends around the hips and the hands just bellow that, when the arm is stretched. The measurements will get easy and you wont really even think about it later on, but you do have to bash it into your own head lol.

Good luck!

SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."

Thanks
    Hey Mrkolsyrad,

yes the hands are way to long, I should have started with a skeleton aswell. But I'll definetely check out some proportions for the sake of my poses. Still got along way in my 250 gesture/pose drawing book so I guess proportions will be a part of that aswell.

-Dennis

Thanks
    Working on Teen Challenge, this week topic is a dark tower, so this is my work in progress. Need to keep up with fundamental practice aswell so I'll study some more pages of my figure drawing book and post some excercises later today. Any critic is welcome.

-Dennis

Thanks
    Guten tag Herr kessel, welcome in here I like your bottom line,
    which is why I clicked in here it made me curious about your
    sketchbook. Nice stuff in here I like to spirits flying around.
    I love to draw things like that too.

I would like to push your gestures a little bit, keep them in one
    line get more lose and play around with the weight of them. I did
    tons of them they are very useful.

Sketchbook - . Showreal - . Commission me - .

*critique* advice* help full links, is appreciated*

Thanks
    Thank you for your comment, I'm definetely doing more gesture drawing. With keeping them in one line do you mean, the whole figure? So the spine is more fluent than the ones that I've drawn so far. I will definetely try out to be more fluent.

-Dennis

Thanks
    I think that he means the '' line of action ''. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HR59yFZ7Y
    Try to find the S or C curve.

SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."

Thanks

Gesture

If you go back on my sketchbook you can see what I mean with
    not taking the pen from the paper, this example show how it
    looks with flash, flash cuts off the lines thou !

You can see how I play with pressure on my gestures, first stage
    is almost no pressure, than I decide what lines get more value.

I hope that helps thanks for posting on my sb, see you around !

Sketchbook - . Showreal - . Commission me - .

*critique* advice* help full links, is appreciated*

Thanks
    Ah that's what you meant, I'll do that for sure. I'll see if I can draw some pages of that tomorrow.

Here is a drawing I just did, not sure if I'll work it out digitally but I probably should, I'll make the legs a bit longer since I feel they're to small.

-Dennis

Thanks
    At school at the moment doing some figures

-Dennis

Thanks
    Worked alot on the Dark Tower piece, this is what I got so far. Gonna watch it tomorrow and see what I want to have changed. If you see anything that's wrong or you think looks bad, leave me a comment and I'll be very grateful. This is a drawing for the teen Challenge 206.

Thanks
    You can tell you put a lot of effort into the dark tower piece! The clouds are just the right kind of clouds. The tower doesn't look very tall or imposing to me however. Maybe if you make it thinner and just a tad taller and perhaps zoom out more it would have more impact. Or maybe the tree is making it look smaller than it should I'm not quite sure. The values and light source are really working for me though. I really get the feel that I am right there.

Thanks
    Thanks for your kind critic! I like your idea of making the the tower a bit thinner and taller, I did this once and I wasn't quite sure then if I wanted to exagerrate it more. But I'll definitely make it longer and thinner. And the perspective is not quite right, the mountaints on the right suddenly go down which makes it look weird so I'll also fix that. Thanks alot for your comment!

-Dennis

Thanks
    Here is the final version, I made the tower alot smaller and moved it up so it would look like it´s quite alot more away from the viewer, which makes it look a bit more imposing ( I hope ). Also fixed the ground before the mountains on the right because that made the whole surface look wonky. And thanks to everyone who criticised me!

Thanks
    Drawing the bird girl in photoshop, WIP !

Last edited by Dennis Kessel; December 1st, 2013 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks
    Changed it around alot, didn't like the pose at all. So here is the next wip, just post this real quick after first WIP so no one wastes their time giving me feedback whilst I've changed alot.

Thanks
    Hey Dennis! I'm liking your dark tower piece, can't wait to see more concept art from you! And your gestures are looking nice, one thing that I find helpful with getting the figures looking more solid and in motion is to start with one long line of action. This post has some helpful links, the last one better explains the long line of action and even though it relates much more towards animation, the idea still applies to figure drawings. Best of luck!

Thanks
    Hey michellehiraishi,

Thanks for the comment and thanks for sharing that link I checked it out real quick just now but I need to get my ass to school. I'll give it a good read once I'm there Quite some people say that using one line of action is good but till now I still find it hard to use. But I'm here to learn so this afternoon I'll try and understand and get it down a bit. Thanks again for pointing that out and your kind words.

-Dennis

Thanks
    The dark tower looks cool, great values I can see those gestures doing a lot of good to you, your figures are already getting better. Keep it up and draw draw draw!

Thanks
    Thanks minella is great to hear I'm improving ofcourse it's just a bit. But I feel this site and the great community behind it is really helping. Michelle you said it was a small post and it was but with a ton of great links! Ive spent a good hour reading. And I've been practicing alot!

-Dennis

Thanks
    Here is the actual Final piece, I know I could improve on things like the size of the rocks. But I can't spent for ever on one piece. I learned a ton from only this one drawing and I'll take all of that with me when I start drawing my next drawing.

Thanks
    So this was suggested by alot of you, I read a whole lot about this first and learned alot from that alone. So here is a page with the Line of Action figures. I did a few more at school but those are spread all around my books so can´t share those, but here is the first bunch. Thanks to everyone who suggested it!

Edit: Here is a bunch of "lose" gesture drawings as suggested by Iven. Again I used a nice website which shows you a pose for 30 seconds called artists pixelovely. I'm really suprised how most of these poses are pretty easy to read considering it took 30 seconds for each of them and it is done so losely. I'll probably do a whole lot more.

Edit: Here is another page.

Last edited by Dennis Kessel; December 3rd, 2013 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks
    Here is what I'm currently working on which is a car study. First I tried to draw the car from only looking at the image 4 different times and then the fifth time I used a border. And this is kinda cheating but I'm not here to sell the piece or something and I read it could be a good way to learn, but I would like to know what you think. Should I have drawn it without a border and just take alot more time to get it right or is it good to use a border. So now I'm working on the linedrawing and gonna be fixing alot of things and color will be after that! Spent a good 2 hours drawing this today since I got out of school early so I'll probably work on it another hour now and hopefully it will turn out nicely!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 187