Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1274
    Thanks
    nice work on the environments again dennis
    I'll think I'll work on my draw a box basic perspective before trying something like that
    best wishes for the new year

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Arkhamalien: Trucking has been a little show last week but definitely trying to get back into it!

I'm going to try that colour excercise you explained at some point. It will definitely be a struggle but I need to learn it at some point. I started mixing that grey 4 times and all turned out terrible haha

Really appreciate the elaborate critiques and I have done more studies today and tried to incorporate your feedback as best as possible. Definitely was still going into detailing too quickly before having the colours correctly. So I did some really fast ones at the end to try and minimize that. Appreciate the feedback man!

ElisaCleas: Thank you! It's definitely good to have a good understanding of perspective before doing studies like these because you don't have to worry about also figuring out the perspective on top of the colours, would be a little overwhelming otherwise

More colour studies, I tried to incorporate Arkhamalien's feedback and start with bigger brushes and not go into detailing too quickly. Still felt like I was going into detail too soon so I tried to go for shorter and shorter times so I would need to stick with really big brushes to make sure I got the whole scene in within the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    hey those look really great man! I think you definitely got more of the bigger truths on these. great job.

the only things i would say about these is to:

#1. make sure you get your edges right (like the buildings on the fourth one.)
    #2. blur your eyes and zoom out to make sure you get those damn tones right. (the close building in the first one, the foliage in the fourth one, and the foliage and mountainside on the last one)
    #3. try to get those get those shapes right, look at the road in the last one. you turned a straight line of the road facing one way, to a curved line facing the other direction. five minutes is crazy fast though, so i wouldn't worry too much.
    #4. other than that, these look pretty damn good. good job!

Thanks
    Arkhamalien: Thanks for the feedback again, I started a longer study because I think I couldve ironed out some of the issues you adress with a little more time, but my laptop crashed 15min in and then I couldnt be asked anymore Will do more in the future though and keep these in mind!

Watched week 5's video's of Maciej Kuciara's environment class yesterday and today started with the homework. Started with complete photobashing as using photos was the assignment and then started painting more and more on top. I went with the same idea I had before with that environment I did with the roman architecture on a hill and the boats. I was super unhappy with that one but I am quite happy with this one, turning out better than I thought I would since I havent really started with photos before. A few more hours tomorrow and then I can call it done, worked on it 7 hours today, feedback welcome.

I'm not sure if I should change the foreground to a nicer paved road and have like a chique carriage with horses or do you prefer the rougher terrain to set it apart from the rest of the scene?

Thanks
    Wow this looks great! Nice job I love the sky and everything is drawn really well.

I kind of wonder about your choice of composition. Everything is pretty nice, it's like you want the eye to zig zag back into space from the horse to the boat to the other boat to the city. But all of the focal points feel kind of far apart, but evenly spaced like this. It almost feels like the horseman is on the same plane as the boat.

Name:  CAWeek5Envir3onment.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  51.5 KB
    What would happen if it were like this?
    Name:  CAWeek5En33vironment.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  49.7 KB
    I dunno, it's a nice picture though!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCowan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi there! Nice painting, i like the mood a lot.
    I agree with JoeCowan, you composition feels a bit static. I think there is too much going on (4 to 5 focal points: horseman/pillar, big boat, small boat, city/sky). I suggest (I'm just spitting things out, you can ignore them if you dont agree) to strengthen the atmospheric perspective so that the horseman doesnt fight for importance with the small boat, make the big boat more important and add depth (warmer lights the closer you are to them too). Then to put the bright sky behing the cliff city and make the warm light at the base to indicate a harbour (a place for the boats to go/ for storytelling). and probably get the horseman closer in the foreground, the perspective of that feels strange to me.
    Overall it's a nice start, keep working on it!

Thanks
    JoeCowan: Thanks for the crit, totally see what you meant and I hope I managed to apply your critique.

All: Thank you! I tried to apply all your points to the new version. I made the boat more into the atmospheric perspective and made the character more into the foreground. I changed the lights to a more orange in the foreground but didn't really know what to change them to for the background. Something I will have to learn more about soon! Also made the boat larger. Thanks a ton for the feedback as it definitely helped!

Thanks a lot guys

Thanks
    I ink that looks really cool now!. It's all kind of subjective of course.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 996 Posts
    Looking great! I suggest you suppress textures like waves and rain, though. Also, the composition is too chaotic for my taste, as the elements are fighting for my attention.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    JoeCowan: Thanks man, feedback was very useful!

Eezacque: Definitely agree, next challenge is using photos but using them in a way to not overcrowd the image with textures and detail everywhere which that environment suffers from, appreciate the feedback!

Very quick hour environment done today, was going to library for a day of work but it was closed and I really struggle with focussing at home. At least managed to get a little bit of work done. It was part of the homework for week 6, we had to pick a screenshot with a basic block out and make a scene out of it. I changed it quite a bit, attached the screenshot.

Thanks
    Dude, loving that rainy environment!

A couple of things though, the reflection on the water doesn't make much sense. You've got the light from the moon reflecting which is fine, but what about the palace on the hill and the path leading down to the water? I think it'd be nice to introduce some warmer colours into the water as well, and improving the reflection is one way of doing it.

The overall colour scheme is a bit unusual as well, It seems like there's some kinda greenish tinge to it. If you shifted the colour balance and made the darks cooler, you could get that super cliched (but only because it's nice) blue and orange colour scheme.

The anatomy of the horse is also not quite right. I get that it's not a super important element, but you've drawn the animal's torso as a box, which makes it look really stiff. Also, it's tail appears to be unaffected by the wind that's pulling on things like the flags on the ship, same with the bloke's torch.

On that note, I'm not really getting the sense of a storm. Not sure how you'd do this, perhaps by making the rain go more sideways, as if the wind is blowing it, and play with the lighting to make it more dynamic. Surely the water would be more disturbed as well by the wind? If i squint, it looks very calm to me.

If a storm isn't your intention, then get rid of the rain and just make it super tranquil, I think that'd suit it more, it doesn't add enough to the piece to be worth all the little questions it throws up. Otherwise, go super stormy and have everything be affected like i suggested

Anyway, super nitpicky stuff, and it looks really good man, you should be pleased!

Did a super quick paintover to show you what I mean.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 20.39.45.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  47.9 KB

Thanks
    Titley: Awesome overpaint! I had thought about many off the things you've critiqued and I couldn't get to a solution myself. The waves and fire/tail like that with the wind definitely look a lot better. I don't think I initially wanted it to be a storm but because of the sails of the boat it kind of reads like an awkward in between. I need to keep in mind I should ask for more critique before I upload something to Artstation but just after I finish it if I'm really happy with it I cant help myself but instantly put it on AS Changed that for this next piece though! Thanks a ton for the critique dude

This started off as a photo study in which I wanted to try and incorporate a bit more of a painterly style. First time using the mixer brush and it's a lot of fun. Would love some crits on this so I can spend a few more hours improving it before I add it to my Artstation. Main question is if all the features look right? I think the face looks normal and correctly structured but I have been staring at it for very long so maybe an eye is too high or something like that. Should I try to make it more painterly with bigger brushstrokes? Maybe I should change some lines from hard lines to lost edges? Any thoughts are very much appreciated!

Added the WIP's which include the reference and some up close shots.

Edit1: New version after a critique from Eezacque. Still more crits are very welcome. Main changes: Neck area, less dark shadow around nose and more texture to make it feel like an old painting.
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; January 12th, 2018 at 12:25 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice work dude. Did you do this based on a particular class or tutorial, or it just came outta nowhere? Still learning painterly brushiness myself, so I'm having a hard time finding things to nitpick. If I had to, I'd say:
    - The rim light on her far cheek looks a little smudgy. I have a hard time w/ soft transitions and edges though, so I'm not sure how to fix. I think part of it is a color thing: feels like there should be a more saturated color in the transition from very light orange rim light to the dark warm gray of her skin--like a saturated dark orange or something. Very minor point though and I could be wrong, I'd have to see ref of similar lighting.
    - The shadow in the upper right right of her upper lip (our right) looks a little harsh, almost like a cold sore. I can kinda see what you're painting on the ref, but I'd mitigate that / soften it up.
    - I'd lose the cracked canvas photo texture overlay. In places where it's laying over her skin, they look like zombie veins.

Overall though, very impressive. Nice touches w/ the bloom light on her far cheek and necklace.

Thanks
    Hey
    I like the night ships painting you did, it turned out good, maybe the horse rider is too dark, but overall it is quite nice.
    Love the portrait too! lovely brushiness is my forte, love how you handled it here. the reference is probably pretty close to the painting, but I would push the colors slightly more, she feels pale, remember the skin tones have lots of color variations in them, like purples, greens, oranges, and variations of red and what not, it's the game of balance between those colors that make it work, when you put only one color by itself it's not looking that great, but once you make the right combination they suddenly play against each other and become complimentary to each other.
    Here's a good mini tutorial on skin tones, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPdkEEYo3F0

Thanks for the reply in my thread bro, means a lot.
    My Sketchbook

ARTSTATION https://www.artstation.com/dannykundzinsh

WEBSITE http://www.dannykundzinshart.com

Friends
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

Thanks
    Diamandis: I watched a tutorial from Greg Rutkowski where he paints a simple landscape, but he does it in a very painterly style. So I've always wanted to try that and did it on a portrait the next day. The Gumroad Tutorial included the brushes and I hate to say it, but the painterly style you do really need certain brushes for

Thanks so much for the crits, I have tried to incorporate everything that you pointed out!

Danny_K: I see what you mean with her feeling pale and I you're right about colours having all those different kinds of colours in them and that's something I really haven't studied. I watched the tutorial and it was really interesting. I played around with adding some more colour into the skin tones but mostly the reds worked quite well I found (maybe because I don't really know where to put which colours yet) so I think it makes her feel a little more alive but this is definitely something I need to study on it's own and then do another portrait study where I use tons of colours. Thanks for pointing it out and the link!

Incorporating the feedback, thanks a ton guys!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    First off I have to say Fantastic! it looks really great.

I only have a few critiques so I tried a little paintover to show them, but I kinda suck at portraits anyway, so... Use your best judgement.

The far side of her face. I think the contour of her cheek is wrong if you compare it to the other side of her face and the edge lighting looks a little made up to me. I think a quick google search on portrait edge lighting should give you a little more reference to go off of to get things more convincing. Also, check the perspective on her eyes. I didn't fix it myself, but we should both work on that I think.

The other thing is the background. You have the edge lighting on light background, i think if you flipped the lighting you can get light on dark and then the hair will be dark on light. Might make things stand out better and give it a little more punch.

I also added a temperature change, so its cool in the background and warm on her... I don't know if that was a great idea or not, mostly was just curious to see what it would look like. Your colors all seem really great to me, so feel free to ignore me... But this is really great man, The reason I keep trying to critique you is because, i like your stuff. You learn really fast and are always very cool to me too. So hope it helps you!

Name:  portrait paintover.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  30.4 KB

Thanks
    This is a great effort Dennis, big gains! I agree with arkhamalien.

Also the proportions and features are well done but id just like to point out two little things to push you further. The first thing is giving face and neck anatomy another look. For a portrait to be convincing, the features have to be set on a solid and anatomically correct head. Being v familiar with the anatomy will let you pick out subtle facial shadows you wouldn't otherwise notice. Sargent used to paint the head WITHOUT features first, make sure it was correct, then add features.

My second point is related to the first - being familiar with facial anatomy, you can give indications of it on both side of the face, which adds to the symmetricallity of the face, and makes it more pleasing. For example, the far side of the mouth and surrounding area - its very challenging to get right. Also making the far away eye look symmetrical to the close eye.

Keep working man, definitely making progresses and at the trajectory i'm sure you'll get to where you want to be!

K

Thanks
    Arkhamalien: YOU'RE THE BEST. Dude awesome overpaint mannn, many people commented on the cheeck being off and I had tons of reference from rimlights on face but I just struggled a lot with getting it to look right. Great point about light vs dark, Jonathan Hardesty told me that in my Schoolism class and in the beginning of the drawing I had kept it in mind but somehow I ignored it in the end. So brought more of that back. Cool vs warm light color is definitely something I have to study still, I know it's a thing but don't really use it often or understand it. Other people has also commented on wanting more cool colors as the whole thing is warm colors right now. I didn't want to fuck it up by making such drastic changes but I did add some cooler colors into the background to hopefully adress it just a little at least. It seriously means a lot man very much appreciated!!

Kimonas: That would be an interesting approach to paint it first without the features. I do think I have learned a lot of facial anatomy and know most if not all the muscles of the face and the neck but I am not using that knowledge at all when I did this. This is a good point you make as I hadn't really thought about it, I've made many changes from the reference to try and make it more pleasing but I didn't really apply that to the anatomical structure.

Thanks for the feedback man

For higher Res and some detail shots: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/12AaX
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; January 14th, 2018 at 09:35 AM.

Thanks
    Started my Schoolism subscription today, started with Designing with Color and Light with Nathan Fowkes. Should still do week 8's homework for Environment class from Learnsquared but I really didn't feel like doing a 3D model and then a highly detailed environment. Might combine that week with a later's week homework for this class. Watched the lectures and here are first two studies for homework. Need to do 2 each day for a week, I'll probably do the rest tomorrow and then move onto week 2. They have to be under 1 hour so spend 50min on the first then stopped but the second was a huge pain so took a little longer.

Edit: Did a quick third one in 30min before library closes.
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; January 15th, 2018 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks
    Good studies, here's another video that will help you think like a sculptor next time you paint a portrait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC3OxonJcXQ&t=1s
    My Sketchbook

Friends
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Danny_K: Thanks, I think I saw that video when he originally uploaded it but will make sure to watch it before my next studies, thanks man!

Watched lectures for week 2 and did 4 more color studies. All around 40-50 min roughly.

Thanks
    Three more. About 30min each

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Kessel View Post
    Three more. About 30min each
    Slow down, try to get the vibrancy of the original...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Eezacque: You are right, I rushed those too much and they feel really dull. Spend another few minutes trying to get the vibrancy right. Thanks for pointing it out!

Improved versions from yesterday's 3 color studies and homework for week 2. Completely rerendered it and took about 5 hours. Had to light the 3D scene with 1 warm and 1 cool light.

Thanks
    Dennis you work too much, it's getting me motivated to work harder too ahahah
    Gotta take that class too in the future. I did a really quick overpaint to give more mood and contrast (i suck at working on paintings i didnt make ahah). I think there isnt enough difference between your light and shadow side. Also check the angle of the lights to get better speculars. Sam Nielson fundamentals of lighting is a great course cause it subdivides every aspect of lighting in render passes, just like in a 3d program, do that next if you can.
    Name:  CA_Week02.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  448.5 KB

Thanks
    Really inspiring sketchbook

Thanks
    All: hahah no I've been super lazy lately! Thanks for the overpaint and critiques, I went back to it to apply your critique, I've taken the fundamentals of lighting class about 2 years ago and will definitely take it again. I just didn't want to start with it since I have already done it, but will take it again after I finish with this course as it was indeed really good. Thanks for the feedback man!

Stonec: Awesome to hear it can inspire someone

Applying All's critique and color keys, we had to draw our own scene and then do multiple color/lighting variations on it. They're all very quickly done and I'll probably do more. Also 2 more color studies, which means I've done all 12 which was for the first week of homework but I think I'll probably continue to do more of these in the upcoming days as I think theyre very useful and Nathan pointed out how did one or more everyday for many years.

Thanks
    3 hour lifedrawing session which is a monthly thing. They often stick to shorter poses but especially so today, almost all poses were 2 or 5 minutes. Personally I prefer 20-50 min poses but was still very useful.

Thanks
    Those class homework studies looking good, I've been wanting to do a schoolism subscription for quite some time now, I will take the Sam Nielson class for color and light and then Nathan's environment class. amazing that we get such incredible world class education for such low price, when I started 9 years ago the forums of conceptart.org and some you tube video all there was pretty much, folks who start learning today are very fortunate to have all the education they need.
    Keep up the studies mate.
    My Sketchbook

Friends
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

Thanks
    Mate anytime! and I know what you mean, you just gotta show people if you're proud of something.

Really liking all the work you're doing on that portrait mate, and I know, the mixer brush is my friend too.
    Don't really have much else to say about the portrait, I think just about everything's been said, keep up the good work.

Really impressed with the amount of work you're doing with all those studies man, and they're looking really nice!

Just a few things. Mainly, you're going back to your old ways of overcomplicating your brushwork. Don't zoom in so much and use a bigger brush, as I've told you in person Arkhamalien gave you a similar critique on page 74 when you did those google maps studies. Especially for these quick studies, it's really important that you use a big brush, look twice, and go in once, otherwise you start fumbling around and it starts looking messy. This is especially noticeable in the background for the Ratatouille study, where you really don't need all that many brushstrokes to render that big wood panel.

Although I have to say that the Kung Fu Panda scene, especially the light on the panda, is really pretty!

Your figure drawings are looking really nice, your draughtsmanship (a topic with which I seem to be getting ever more obsessed) is looking really nice, most of the lines look really confident. So try and apply this to your painted studies, you'll get much nicer results.

Anyway, time to put my money where my mouth is and follow my own advice with some studies of my own haha.

Good luck for the start of the internship tomorrow man!

Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast