Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68
Results 1,006 to 1,019 of 1019
    Thanks
    Jocelyn_strait: Thank you! Normally I don't go this in-depth but it is literally the point of the module to do a lot of research into a culture. It's called "practice based research" so yea Finding it very useful though. I am taking Essentials of Realism with Jonathan Hardesty.

Grumpysaur: Thank you Glad you like them.

Lot more in-depth work on the snake lady design. Also did a GIF of the transformation, let's hope that works on here. Had to butcher the quality, you can view higher res: https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7aDekPyADLbCSahG

I am going so indepth because I'll be applying soon for internships and what I noticed is that in the portfolio's of people that got accepted which I thought I would roughly be at the same level at they have a lot more actual "concept" art. I mainly have illustrations in my portfolio and don't really show a thinking process of the process that a concept artist goes through. So hopefully I can make this into a really nice and elaborate character design for my portfolio. I WANT THAT INTERNSHIP!! - that's puttting it lightly.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:38 AM.
    My Sketchbook
    Connect with me on Artstation

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    damn those asia landscapes look amazing great work Dennis

Thanks
    Those asian faces look awesome, great job! Your head drawing class is definitely paying off. The only crit I have (maybe that was a style choice) is that the scales could feel a little more 3d. It almost feels like she's wearing a net, again, just nit picking here. The hairstyles were really cool too. Good luck applying to your internships, you are killing it!

Thanks
    ElisaClaes: Thank you!

alvaromartinlop: Thanks man and you are right. I just used a photo of snake scales and put it on color dodge. Which is a bit lazy. For the character render and illustration I'll make sure to think of a way to make it look like actual 3D snake scales. Thanks for pointing it out otherwise I might've not considered it again. Fingers crossed on the internships

Yesterday was a day of lectures and attending feedback meeting on my CV, made some small adjustments and now pretty happy with it. First internship will be Rare which opens up sometime in next two weeks. Last year they only took on 6 interns and none of those were concept artists, so yea chances are small.

Used Alchemy for creating some interesting shape thumbnails. And some faces for a module in which we have to do a character and 3D model it in Zbrush. I picked the studio Laika to make a character for. This would be the sister of Kubo in a hypothetical sequel.
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; 1 Week Ago at 04:53 PM.
    My Sketchbook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey man nice work. Sorry for the long post. I think others can benefit from this as well. Plus you want that internship don't you? Some crit:

For that singer piece the rim light feels rather fake and does not match the environment. You would have a lot of colored light in a bar like that vs neutral white light. Try using a contrasting light like a warm orange to contrast the cooler bg.

Crit on the environments. These are referring to the 4 but can be applied to your last two: These are technically strong but their design visuals can be pushed a lot more.

-Some edges too geometric and clean, does not match nature of the object ie the rocks have machined like edges, like a car

-They all need way more overlapping and some linear perspective and variation in shapes ie smaller shapes right next to big shapes Tip: mock up random boxes in sketchup then draw over them to get free perspective and instant overlapping/depth

Name:  su 1 block.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  397.1 KB
    Name:  line thumbs.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  222.1 KB

-Shapes too noisy, especially at that distance (first one)

-1,2 Values feel off or forced, like it's supposed to be nighttime but then you have this brightly lit sky with clouds. Tip: if it's supposed to be sunny then basically all the values must be fairly bright( like above 40) and vice versa.

-These four are still a bit similar, it's just a flat ground with vertical structures sticking upwards. Try and vary everything, camera angles, negative space etc.

-Overall these feel too post apocalyptic, especially with the stuff on the ground skewed around like that. If you're trying to build a metropolis I suggest you check out the Forbidden City in Beijing or Shambhala from Uncharted 2. If he just discovered a new civilization there should be a feeling of activity and grandeur but these feel deserted.

-For the thumbnails of the girl they still feel a bit too similar. A lot have some ribbons and tentacle like strands and they're all completely organic. Try contrasting the hardness of shapes as well, like boxy shapes with organic curves. If you look at some Japanese game characters they sometimes carried rectangular flags on their backs.

For the faces those aren't really concept iterations but rather reskins or restyles of the same thing. An iteration is a different version of the same thing but the essence is constant. Here is an example of iterations: Notice how these are share the same shapes, design languages and they all feel like they exist in the same world. And they're all transport trucks. It's not easy to do but is a lot of fun.

Name:  truck po.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  70.7 KB

Thanks
    Crankshaft: Hey thanks for the huge critique man!

I struggled so much with the rimlight, I didn't like the fact that it was white but I drew it on each separate layer for the material so couldnt quickly change it, I did try but it then lacked that "pop". I thought the white would maybe resemble a spotlight that would be on her on stage but that doesn't come across. Think I need to do some more research into how rimlight effect an object's colour in general. Thanks for pointing it out, it's something I struggled with again today.
    I will be making that environment that I pick completely in SketchUP so that will be very interesting. I haven't used sketchUP before but we get a demo on it this week and after I'm gonna try and model the environment in it. I agree with your points and especially the fact that it feels deserted. I need to make sure it does feel like there are indeed people living there.

Values in the sky is another huge thing I struggled with. I basically kept changing it so that the values of the high structure made sense, because the value of the structures need to be darker than the sky, but I also want the structures to become very light as they go into the distance to create the idea of atmospheric perspective. I had a long talk about this with my tutor and understand it a little bit better now but definitely something I also need to look into more so you're spot on.

The "iterations" I just wanted to be small changes for just the skin or hair for instance. I could've combined the different skins with the different hair styles to create actual complete iterations of the character but I wanted to just do it very elaborately in small steps. Like how in the Last of us artwork they have iterations of the same shirt 10 times but with only the slightest of changes between each. Those trucks look dope Thanks again for the elaborate critique, definitely pointed out a lot of very important things!

Pretty productive Sunday today, got a few more pages done for my 3D module. This is the sister of Kubo in a hypothectical sequel. Will now do a turn around and then try different poses for the 3D model that I'll have to do of it in Zbrush, that will be a good challenge. But since I've gotten this done in the first week I've given myself a lot of time for the modelling part.
    My Sketchbook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    can I suggest her arms reaching her pelvis instead of her knees? http://www.animationmagazine.net/wor...ring-post7.jpg somehow like here? it kind of looks like she has noodle arms right now
    ------
    my sketchbook : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...i-s-Sketchbook

"Second place is the first place among the last ones, and that's not my target."- Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Thanks
    Okapi: I don't know why but in my mind Kubo and all the characters had really long arms. Why I implemented that without checking I have no idea. Thanks for pointing it out, I kept them relatively long still but a lot shorter

First time ever doing a turn around, not too happy with the side view. Especially the face, will have to fix that at some point.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Page of clothing designs I did today for the snake lady and today's and yesterday's lifedrawing. Think the man sitting in the thinking pose (or sleeping on his hand) is one of the better lifedrawings I've done. Quite happy with how some of these turned out, hoping to really improve my lifedrawing more this year. Played around with the brush pen too which was quite a bit of fun.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    So I have to do a creature design, which is the first time I've ever done realistic creature designs as far as I can remember so I struggled intensely with ideas in the beginning. Lauren, a fellow student, told me to draw with my left hand and eyes closed and see what shapes I would come up with. Surprisingly it actually worked really nicely and I came up with a design that I could then use as a direction to work from. Also some quick sword thumbnails, don't really like any and need to put in way more effort. It's a good page for development though

Flying home tomorrow morning so no update for 3 days . Although I'm hoping to go to one of the lifedrawing sessions they run in a city if I'm not super hungover
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Oehh long time no update, did do work but was too lazy to scan everything in. Went home for the weekend and went to another lifedrawing session. Those lifedrawing were quite hard because the theme was halloween and the shapes created by the clothing of the model was not very interesting and because the clothing was black it was also very hard to get shadow/light information. Have started using penbrush more and quite happy with how those lifedrawings are turning out. First three I did from photo reference though, the others are from monday and tuesday's lifedrawing. Choose my creature design and made the final line art and some colour variations. Got some feedback on it from a master student and will make some changes to it to hopefully make it more realistic and less cartoony.

Not at all happy with how these first lifedrawings turned out. But party with friends lasted till 8 in the morning and I had to get up at 11 to get to this session on time, so I can forgive myself with the amount of sleep I had

Decided to make 2 posts as there's a lot. These are all from the 3 hour lifedrawing session in Holland when I went home over the weekend.
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; 2 Days Ago at 12:38 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Monday and Tuesday lifedrawing.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    The brush pen drawings look really good Dennis, I like the light and dark effect .

Thanks
    Fantasyartist: Thank you

Got a critique from Titley, a Master student and it was spot on, told me I probably had to redesign it if I wanted to fix the problems. As much as I didn't want to, I am really glad I did and learned a ton from redoing it properly. Also made me realise very few people give honest feedback like that, but it's so valuable, think I also need to be a little more open to it. One of the problems was the realism and that it looked cartoony and not like it could actually function. I thought the best way to improve that was to look into actual creature and dinosaur anatomy. I made a skeleton and then the muscle structure on top. I think it improved a lot, still struggling a lot with getting the guy on top to look correct. Have redrawn him like 5 times, might keep him like a graphical silhouette like shape in the final as it's supposed to be about the creature.
    My Sketchbook

Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68