Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62
    Thanks
    Crankshaft: Thanks man! Yea I tend to be be a strong believer of never taking breaks and work till you drop, I doubt I will ever burn out (maybe this is me overestimating myself) but my concentration is lacking. But I feel my lack of concentration is more to do with not really feeling like doing these anymore, when I get into something I can easily do it for 10 hours, just flippin done with these muscles

Struggling to focus today, logged off after 3 hours and was ready to go but reminded myself of a post on Facebook this morning talking about discipline. So I logged back in and did another 2 hours of work. Writing this I was going to go home but now I want to work more again, hahaha. Maybe applying some muscles to these skeletons can be fun for another 2/3 hours. Anyway, did one more full muscle, rendered one (almost finished) and did finished doing the skeletons for the animation.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great job on all these anatomy studies Dennis! Discipline is definitely good, just keep in mind that our body and brains need a good rest also to refresh their energies. So you shouldn't feel guilty for taking a break every now and then . I look forward for more.

Thanks
    I've been having a quick look through your sketchbook and you have a great work ethic. Back when you were working through the How to Draw book did you use the drawing materials suggested, i.e. the circle and ellipse templates and the sweeps? Or did you do the exercises freehand? I've worked through some of these exercises freehand, I'm not sure if it would be more beneficial to me to buy these tools. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this?

Thanks
    I agree with fantasy artist. I've definitely felt that being disciplined in the long term and avoiding disillusionment means having breaks and enjoying other things in life at the same time. If you invest all your time in art, you have nowhere to hide mentally when you hit a plateaux or have the inevitable failures that at the time seem cataclysmic, but of course in the long term cause growth. The thing is balance and not indulging to much in reward!

keep it going, youve definitely gone up a gear and i'm sure it will pay off

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimonas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Fantasyartist: Thank you!

PKaurk: Thanks, I didn't use any circle and ellipse templates, most of the time I didnt even use a ruler. I would actually recommend not to get the guides because I think it's more beneficial to train drawing ellipses and it will also show you how to draw them correctly and when they're off. Better to be able to do it without any guides. Same goes for using a ruler although I do think you should use a ruler in the more complicated excercises especially if you struggle with drawing straight lines because they become quite complicated and you want 100% accuracy in those cases. It's the best book I've ever worked through and if you do all the excercises you will improve a ton! Good luck.

Kimonas: Thanks man!

Relating to taking breaks I agree, mostly... I agree with the argument to go out and get inspired by the world around us but I feel like my brain is young and energetic enough to deal with little rest. I sleep 8 hours and 20 minutes every night and live a very healthy life so I think that's alright, maybe this is me being cocky though and at one point it will hit me and proof myself wrong. We'll see. The main reason why I'm not taking a day off at the moment is because I'm going on holiday 4 weeks next week, so feel like I need to push myself just another week and then relax. Maybe it's the wrong approach and I should give myself a bit more relaxation during work periods. It's just that I want to get good enough for an internship in a year from now (or earlier) and think that will massively help me in my career after I graduate. But I also do the long hours because I enjoy it, it's not causing me any stress or anything like that. Putting this all on here to see in the future if I was wrong. Anyway, I did take your advice today and am now going home after just 3 hours of work

Finished this last week's homework for the anatomy class, now all my online classes for this semester are officially over. This one was by far my favourite and I learned so much from it! Now onto studying hands and feet.

Thanks
    hey man I agree it's good to work extra hard before taking a day off or a holiday so you won't feel guilty later on haha it's definitely a privelage to be a teen and in your twenties since it feels like you have unknown sources of energy, especially if you are doing sth you love or sth that inspires you you taking 4 weeks off will hopefully give me time to catch up haha I was also wondering what your own day-to-day schedule looks like, and a mini-digression, I was thinking if you intentionally make the muscles on your figures flat instead of 3D form? Especially on the pecs, I noticed recently Hampton always makes his muscle mass on his figures look like real shapes, I've been tying to apply it myself but it's pretty challenging congrats on finishing the courses and keep up the awesome work!

Thanks
    Man. Enjoy France and Morocco.

I'm looking forward to your hands and feet studies. I've been stealth-studying your anatomy constructions, along w/ Okapi's, for a while now, and feeling the burn vicariously.

Thanks
    Okapi: hahaha ye definitely, energy for daysss. How do you mean make them flat? I try to wrap the lines around them as they would, although I see what you mean with the pecs. There's no lines that wrap around those, I have done for the next!

Diamandis: I will definitely enjoy it! And hopefully takes lots of pictures/do a lot of lifedrawing from the interesting architecture to expand my imagination. Feet and hand studies are coming

A drawing from last week's summer course class of the chairs. Also went to the lifedrawing session yesterday evening (I took the rest of the day off ) Quite happy with how the 30minute pose turned out. Can't wait to do more lifedrawing sessions once the second course year starts. Still struggle a lottt with laying down poses, I don't know why but it's like all knowledge dissapears from the side.

Thanks
    Finished the animation with all the muscles.

Also made it into sort of a tutorial approach on learning anatomy for classmates and shared it in the level up group. Hope it's helpful for someone. The text I wrote with it:

https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7bufcL9vC4d3gHlK

Below are the steps and some great resources for learning anatomy. Feel free to share other good links in the comment section.
    1. Simplified Shapes
    - Do not draw outlines of the muscles
    - Show perspective with wrapping lines
    - Pillow shape for torso and pelvis

This step is great for learning and practising proportions, because it's very quick you can do loads of drawings and train your eye to get better at seeing accurate proportions.
    2. Simplified Skeleton

- Boxes or ovals to represent pelvis/ribcage
    - Still show wrapping lines to indicate the perspective

This step is necessary because even though the skeleton is not visible when drawing a person it's vital to know where muscles attach to accurately represent them in different poses.

3. Muscles
    - Study muscles individually and grouped
    - Attach the muscles to the underlying skeleton
    - Color for clarity

This step takes by far the longest amount of time because the muscles are quite complex. I would recommend studying the muscles of a certain area in groups. Such as: the shoulder muscles, upper leg muscles, etc. Study by googling the muscles by name and looking at the 3D reference. Learn a little about their function but mainly about their connections.

Some awesome resources to help you with studying:

3D Human anatomy model: https://human.biodigital.com/index.html

How muscles act in motion:
    https://www.bodiesinmotion.photo/

Micheal Hampton PDF on figure and anatomy drawing:
    https://anatomiaartistica.files.wordpress.com/…/michael-ham…

Figure drawing reference (there's loads of these just give it a google):
    https://line-of-action.com/practice-...igure-drawing/

Hope it helps someone out!
    https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7bufcL9vC4d3gHlK
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:05 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice job with the figures Dennis, the line quality and structure is getting better. One thing you should keep in mind though is gravity, especially in the feet of your figures when they are standing. In those last drawings their should be a better sense of the weight of the body pushing down on the feet, which would make the drawing feel more real. Keep it up!

Thanks
    That's a good outline of what to study to get better at anatomy i reckon. You might want to add to that 'drawing figures in a perspective grid relative to horizon line'. Of course i think all the stuff you mentioned you should do first!

Its in dem loomis books.

It really changes the way you think about anatomy.

Enjoy your hols!

Thanks
    Fantasyartist: Thank you, good point I think I should start doing those floor planes again under my drawings as that always helped with making them feel more grounded. Thanks for pointing it out!

Kimonas: That's definitely a good point and something I still do not do myself. At some point I will have to study the body from all kinds of different more extreme perspectives. Thank you

Drawings from yesterday's summer course "Introduction to drawing". This was definitely my favourite week because I thought the timed method was quite fun.We first got 90 minutes to draw the scene. Then after the break we got 30min then he would change up the mannequins and we got 15 minutes, again but 5 minutes, again but 2 minutes and in the last drawing he changed them every minute and we had to draw them all on top of one another. I drew these on A2 so took pictures instead of scanning, sorry for quality. I also think I need to losen up a bit and be a bit more confident when drawing from observation. I think the half hour one is better and more accurate than the 90 minute one because I just went with it and didn't worry too much about all the shapes.

Today is my last day of drawing I think before I go on holiday so I don't know when I will update this again. Hopefully I will update it with some lifedrawing or whatever else i'll draw while on holiday.

Thanks
    In France at the moment in a little house in the middle of nowhere, at my friends' grandmothers' house. Put this up on the kitchen table and probably drew it for 2-3 hours. It's on a gray A3 sketchbook so I could also draw highlights with the white pencil and I really think that makes it look way more 3D.

Thanks
    Excellent gifs and work man! Not much crit. I kind of like seeing this loose stuff from you bc it must be tiring to do so much tight stuff.

Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62