Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    you missed the vanishing point with the line between the right two pillars of that ruin arcade ( sorry I don't remember they name of the building).. I guess you saw it already though..Always nice to see your progress man! keep on keepin on!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nice figures and perspective keep it up. And always nice to encounter another lesson of Fantasyartist again thanks Swendly

Thanks
    Hunch: It's the observation to imagination course from Ctrl-Paint together with the worksheet, this one is payed though. 20 dollar total. I think the payed videos from ctrl-paint are always a bit short so I wouldn't buy this without the worksheet. But with the worksheet it is worth it, so many great assignments keeps giving you things to do.

Grumpysaur: Yes 100% because I saw your work on the first assignment and those looked so good I went to check it out and bought it. So thank you very much! More perspective studies to get you excited here

FantasyArtist: Oooh thank you so much again, tomorrow I am going to rock some figures, don't know why but these corrections are so clear and I just want to go ahead and put them to work immediately Thank you so much these are absolutely amazing and a big reason that I am improving them.

Gibier: Ah ye I hadn't noticed actually, thanks for pointing that out, It's the Arc the Triomphe in Parie

Greggyfrost: Thank you and these lessons are indeed absolutely amazing.

So many nice comments this time thought I would share a big happening in my life on here, this is now 94% sure
    I am going to study entertainment design at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, I really wanted to study something specific for what I want to become and never quite found what I felt was right for me here in the Netherlands so I decided to look abroad and Art Center seems like my dream. I am still unsure if I am going to take a year in between to work full time, improve my drawing skills and make alot of money, or if I am going to apply in Februari and work half a year before I go. Still got a few months to decide on this. I have always wanted to do something big in life, I have thought about travelling the world or working in another country for a time but now that studying in abroad is the best option for me. I have already checked out some appartments and found some things I could see myself living in, my mom also has a friend in L.A where I could stay for a bit if I want to find a place from there. I think this will be the adventure in my life I have looked forward to. I am beyond excited for this time in my life and really looking forward to it.

Yesterday I did the paint-overs with the perspective lines on some interiors for the CTRL Paint assignment. Did not expect to learn much from it but I really did, some lines from objects went to the vanishing point that I could swear when looking at the objects only would miss the vanishing point by a lot, creating some feeling for seeing how extended lines will go to the vanishing point, today I did an interior from imagination and I had alot of fun with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Did another perspective from imagination this is one a market place set somewhere in the future, might be cool to take this a bit further.

Thanks
    I don't have any advice right now, I just wanted to say that market looks really cool and I'd love to see it taken further

Thanks
    Thanked 1,088 Times in 929 Posts
    Nice work on that market indeed Dennis. If you're going to study at Art Center then it won't be long before I start taking classes from you.

Thanks
    Hunch: I will!

FantasyArtist: Will still be quite a while, so much to learn till then Really try hard on these gestures, watched all your pages of critique and tried using same shapes, especially the shapes used for the feet were extremely useful for doing these. Also prefer the box shape for the lower body that you use.

Gestures! Did the one on the left last and really happy with that one. They were done from reference, a very vague photo because I didnt want to do it from imagination but then again not completely from reference as well, so it was a very pixelated image.

Thanks
    Man, so glad to hear about Art Center! It's sounds SUPER EXCITING!
    way to go Dennis.
    Also, I dig that market, it looks like a big panel from a comic I want to read. Good work on the perspective stuff indeed.
    I agree on the pelvis shape as a box as well, the bowl shape the drawing tutorials guy talks about is just so round, so hard to tilt and place in a way that it's clearly communicated- in my opinion anyway. They're looking good, however I would love to see you do something to the knees so they're not completely round for the next batch
    Pasadena eh! Congrats!

Thanks
    Nice work on the poses Dennis. They're showing major improvements again! There are two main things you need to pay more attention to: 1.getting a better sense of form and 2.avoiding distortions (especially in the basic structure). It might be a good idea to take some photos and draw the mannequins on top just like you did with the perspective grids. Keep them coming!
    Name:  Figures 01_feeback.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  617.2 KB
    Last edited by fantasyartist; November 6th, 2014 at 07:35 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Whoa Dennis, good work with your perspective studies. The market place is looking bad ass. I bought the worksheets for the Imagination to Observation, but not the lecture portion. Do you think it's worth the $10 for it? I only did 1 assignment for the light portion and I really need to get to those perspective studies done at some point. Good work with your constructive gestures, as well. Fantasyartist is so cool for doing those paint-overs for you.

Exciting news about school! Have you been to the US before?

Thanks
    BDHD: Thank you, I will change the knees in the next gestures!

FantasyArtist: Thank you so much for these another page to study carefully before I do my next gestures, the hands I knew looked terrible

Grumpysaur: Thank you, I am not sure if it's worth the ten dollars to be honoust, for every video it's just him talking about the subject for 10 minutes but no in depth information or anything like that. But I need that kick under the butt to do some of the assignments and like to start by watching a video and then continueing from the assignments, but if you can get yourself to do them without the video I dont think it's worth it. Also depends on if you can spare the quick ten bucks. He is amazing for doing these draw-overs I know And yes I have been a few years ago for 6 weeks with my parents and brother and sister, we drove around with our camper been too 7 or 8 states in that time I believe.

Wanted to get a better feeling for drawing simple boxes with vanishing points and like always once I start something simple it get's out of hand. So here is Block City.

Thanks
    Block City looks really cool considering the simplicity of the shapes Your perspective practice always looks very impressive to me, keep it up!

Thanks
    That news about Art Center sounds exciting! The last perspective image is really cool, especially with the values to create depth! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Great stuff on choosing your school! Perspective studies are great. I reccomend doing some of them but with cylinders and ellipses. They're quite tough. Good luck with your adventures!

Thanks
    Hunch: Thank you!

dragning: Yes it is Thank you.

crankshaft: I should really do some more complicated perspective forms indeed because boxes are a bit to easy Thanks for the advice.

I don't know if many of you remember but about 10 months ago I joined in on a teen challenge called the dark tower and my final version is here in my sketchbook. It was the first completely finished piece I ever did from imagination and I thought it would be cool to draw again but what I have learned in these 10 months. So here is the first WIP.

Thanks
    I know you showed this in the skype call, but I just wanted to say that I think it has a lot of potential, and it'd be great to see how it turns out compared to the original version

Thanks
    Hiyas! Awesome to hear about art center! : D If you want to do something big in life, that's what you should do! Go there, learn great stuff and then kick ass! Make the most of it Dennis! lovely to see those perspective studies. Perspective is one of those things i fear so much!

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Hunch: Here it is

Uiriamu: Thank you! I think I will enjoy it very much.

Here is the so far final piece of The Dark tower, don't like it to much but don't dislike it either. It feels a bit to messy. Comparison to the one I did for a Teen Challenge which I uploaded 345 days ago.

PS: Ye I will fix that awful lighting and shape of that rock under the tower.
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; November 12th, 2014 at 02:54 PM.

Thanks
    Wow you really have progressed throughout this sketchbook, congrats! Diggin' those perspective studies. And good luck with Art Center--if you don't mind me asking, who can apply there and how? I couldn't find any info on that on the website.
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    I like your choice of colours, it's very moody and sinister I think perhaps it could use some more contrast though? In the old picture you have some almost white areas that help give it contrast, and in the new one there only seem to be darks and midtones.

Thanks
    Hey Dennis
    Your new dark tower looks really imposing, but found myself looking for a fault in my monitor cause it's so dark. It's only barely possible to make out the top of the tower. I think if you brightened the sky a bit it would help

Thanks
    I agree with BHDH. Even if you want the image to be in a low value key it should still be readable. Watch this and you´ll take your first step in understanding good value design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APynMKh-lA8

Thanks
    Airi Kervinen: Thank you, anyone can apply, I suppose you must be over eighteen. http://www.artcenter.edu/accd/admiss...quirements.jsp that is a link to the answer on how to apply. Their site takes alot of getting used to and I dont think it is very user friendly for a design school

Hunch: Thank you, I made the spikes alot lighter, also the red glow from under tower.

BDHD: Thank you for pointing the lighting issue out I will explain whats going wrong beneath.

Fantasy Artist: Very interesting video, thank you for pointing out the value issue too.

Okay the value issue is a serious problem, I didn't quite get what you were talking about since I know it is a bit on the dark side but for me I can easily make out the top of the tower and the spikes. But then I was looking through the comments on the computer on school this afternoon and suddenly saw what you are talking about. IT IS CRAZY dark! I knew my screen gives me other values then others because I could never see ashess' life drawings because appareantly my screen is alot lighter than reality, this is really annoying for creating art, because the way I see the values is alot different than they actually are. On school I could barely even see half the tower and here it is completely fine, so I can only guess at how much lighter I should have made the middle ground so this for me now looks bad. Also gave more contrast to the spikes and made the light from under the tower brighter. I can check tomorrow how you see it.

PS: OMG!! I made a canvas print from my CHOW piece the gunsmith dude, and it looked way to dark on canvas so I wasnt really happy with it, and the example on the site looked great on how it would turn out. But that must have been the same darkness problem

Thanks
    Hey Dennis.
    Looks better now, I'm liking the red glow on the rock in front of the tower. However, the texture on the spikes make it look a bit flat.

I can identify with your monitor problem; some of my older digital work is so saturated cause my laptop screen made things somewhat desaturated.
    maybe there is a way to change the settings in your monitor, like turning the brightness down.(?)
    It might have settings somewhere..

Thanks
    You're doing great, and you're really working your butt off, which is even more great! I see lots of improvement! The figures are coming along nicely, just keep doing them and doing them (as everyone will tell you) and that's the key.

Good luck at Art Center! I went to Otis (same area, different art school) ages ago. Art Center was our "rival" school, and had an excellent reputation. It still does! Pasadena is a wonderful city, you'll enjoy your time there, as well as studying at Art Center.

Thanks
    The contrast looks much better now! I do agree with BHDH about the spikes looking a bit flat though. Other than that it's looking great

Thanks
    BHDH: I switched the brightness down a bit, but it gets kinda uncomfortable if I turn it down to much. Tried to fix the flatness. Thanks

Celadon: Oh you studied in Pasadena, coooool! I loved your sketchbook so much I did this quick portrait and used reference from one if your drawings. Hope you dont mind

Hunch: I hope I fixed it a bit. Thank you!

Tried to fix the spikes on the tower ( its on the darker version though sorry ) and did a quick portrait with reference used from Celadon's sketchbook so all credits to her!

Thanks
    Wasn´t too happy with yesterday´s portrait so did another one today, alot happier with this one although the eyes are wonky. I learned a very valuable lesson, I knew that when you watch the same drawing too long you wont see your mistakes so mirroring the canvas is a good way to see the mistakes and when I only did that all the way at the end it looked shiet. So fixed as much as I could but for my next portrait I will have to mirror it the entire time so I can find the mistakes, still think it turned out pretty good.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thank you FantasyArtist! Did some vehicle design today this is the first WIP.

Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast