Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    My lord, this is alot of work. Decided to at least colour and texture the building. This is what I got so far. Learning alot about texturing.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    My Sketchbook
    Connect with me on Artstation

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Theme for today´s draw topic was beer. Rendered one quick glass needed to use alot more colours. Think beer is a good thing to practice it on so I´ll probably try and do another beer from reference soon.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    That beer is looking good! Here, I think you'll find this video quite interesting... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHef...xfr6uF6zUTxQLg
    I'm practicing the skills mentioned in the video as well, it's a big bone haha

Thanks
    Haha Greggy I am watching that right now at 24:12. Saw your comment in fantasy artist's sketchbook and it is indeed a very good video, thank you. Ill do alot of these excercises. Not like I got anything else to do in school anyway.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Did some practice as the tutorial described. Did alot more than these but no point in uploading 5 of the same kinda pages.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Great to see that your motivation is still sparkling with life Dennis, that really motivates me!

Cool asian structure, what's the reddit group? Be careful of starting to render out everything so quickly, there's a lot of things that will play part in the final outcome. I mean if that's your workflow, and it works for you that's fine! Will you continue to develop it? Would love to see an update on it!

Keep it up Dennis!

Thanks
    Uiriamu: I did continue a little bit more with the asian piece but I need to come back to it sometime later. As you said the way I did it, it will take alot of time and effort to complete it, should have done a more rough colour version first and then showly build up the details. I will keep that in mind so thank you! The reddit group can be found here: http://www.reddit.com/r/SketchDaily, I did one today as well but not really fantastic.

Doing alot of anatomy practice in my real sketchbook because I bought jazza´s anatomy book, so I´ll upload a whole bunch of images in 10 days when I get my phone back. Here are three I did in photoshop from photo reference as an excercise from the book.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Those last figures are looking pretty good mate, nice to see you're thinking of volumes and contours. I'd like to see that asian building picture develop too because the filling area-by-area is precisely the opposite of what I usually do.

I was gonna tell you it was nice to see other teens on the forums, but then I realised I turned 20 last month. So, excuse me while I go have my not-a-teen-anymore-crysis
    Shoulder to the wheel, my friend!
    My sketchbook - Harsh critique always welcome!

Thanks
    The asian building is looking cool so far! I too am looking forward to seeing it progress. You might want to watch out for it becoming flat because of the area by area texturing approach. Make sure to factor in the effects of depth when determing values and saturation and such, and it's probably a good idea to frequently zoom out to see if the forms read as they should. Currently, it is looking awesome though.

Thanks
    You have such a lovely variety of subjects in your work, and I really like the colours and detail you've started to put on that building, I hope that you'll continue with it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 895 Posts
    oh yeah! great work on the figure with diametrical lines. I think you might be a little more exact. for instance, a lot of the lines on the legs and torso are skewing now, while the form does not. still, great work, and good practice!
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    Dina2342: Thank you, hope your holding up well after the whole no longer a teenager crisis

Dragning: Ye the way I approached it is just horrible, glad to know you like it.

Hunchdebunch: Thank you very much!

Ashess: I will try to be more exact on the next ones I'll upload, have done a whole lot of these but still no phone to take pictures of my real sketchbook

So I really didn't want to continue with the Asian Architecture one, but because you wanted to see me continue on it I decided to do one more WIP of it. I have learned from this that I really dislike this strategy of working on a piece, first of all it takes alot of time and you kinda lose the overall picture by filling things in block by block. But hey, I learned something from it.

The other page is a logo design that I worked on for an event in Ireland, they wanted a different style though so I'll upload the one they picked when I'm done.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Final Logo design they went with and facebook background. Last is screenshot of how it looks.
    My Sketchbook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    didn't know you were dutch Dennis
    The logo looks very nice and clean; however I would have expected them to go with a perfect square-shape for the facebook profile thingie. ? Not the fault of the logo though.
    The earlier, different logo designs are also very good and diverse.

Thanks
    I am Dutch!! WOooo. Thanks on the kind comments on the logo's! I didn't really like the facebook square version either

Joining in on the Creature of the Week challenge and here are my two WIPS so far. The theme is a radio-active dinosaur.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    I'm loving the design of the radioactive dinosaur! I do think that perhaps his neck is too thin though, it looks like it might not support his head well enough? I think it might need to be attached more to the lower jaw to make it look more supportive.

Thanks
    Hunchdebunch: Thank you for the comment I did make his neck a bit thicker.

Made some changes and altered somethings here and there.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Ah his neck is looking better now I really like how much the inner glow of the dinosaur has been brought out by you adding more dark to the background, it's really standing out now and giving the image a cool ghoulish feel.

Thanks
    Hey Dennis!
    Nice updates! I really like that Radio-Active Dinosaur. I can almost feel the toxic fumes he exhales.
    The nice rim light around every tooth really adds a nice effect. Two little pieces of constructive criticism I could give to it is to look at the feet, they're too flat and the toes don't seem to overlap. And the blood vessels thingy you did to his torso makes him feel kind of empty and hollow. I don't know If you did that on purpose or not. Good luck

Thanks
    Hunch ( I hope I may call you this as well ): Thank you!!

Greggy Frost: Yes the first are horrible, have fixed them by now will upload the final version soon. The veins I wanted to manipulate in photoshop to make them follow the shape of his body, so now they're completely flat but they would be altered, but I havent saved a version with the veins on a different layer, because I'm a dumbass so I cant do that anymore, but I do think that would have solved the flat looking issue. But you are right it kinda looks flat and hollow now Learnt it for next time.

Finally got my phone back after 2 and a half months so I can upload the things I did in my sketchbook.
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; October 15th, 2014 at 04:35 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Here is a little comparison of simple character drawing from last year vs now.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    ah, nice improvement It must feel great!
    also, those are some lovely still lives! Man, you make me feel lazy in comparison. Great work, just don't go and drink that Tequila in one go

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 895 Posts
    good going, dennis!
    on the booze bottle, was the head really that far back, or was it placed in the middle as with normal bottle.
    still live is such an exact science... it's prolly a little mistake but it changes the whole look of a bottle.
    then again, as a said, it is possible to have a bottle shaped like that. just not usual...
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    Nice update! That character drawing comparison is huge
    And your still life drawings are amazing. Nice values there! Those spoons really pop off the page
    Is that werewolf drawing from reference or imagination? Either way, it's cool.
    And either way, in my opinion you're making huge leaps fundamental wise. I'm really curious to some of your future imagination works.

Thanks
    BHDH: Thank you very much, the tequilla bottle is long gone but I had some help with it

Ashess: Thanks! No it definitely wasnt that far back, I noticed the mistake whilst drawing it, I think it happended because I wasnt straight in front of my sketchbook and also laying down a bit so how I saw the paper was different from what I was drawing on it, same with the last still-life the, everything is at a weird angle.

Greggy Frost: You wanted more imagination, I got you more imagination! The wolf is roughly from imagination, I was watching a video with a wolf's head so I kinda used that and I googled how the feet of wolf look, because I had no idea.

New character design I am doing, I thought three of these steam punk like characters next to each other would look good in my portfolio.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Niiiccee! I love steampunk! And those goggles are really well executed.
    And for the constructive criticism: his left arm is far to small/short. The elbow needs to positioned roughly at belly button/ ribcage height. In your drawing you located it's elbow at that first button of the jacket, it needs to be more at the middle (second) button when the arm is held down. Maybe make a simplified skeleton as a base with the pose and building on top of that next time? Good luck

Thanks
    Greggy Frost: Thanks that is a really good critique didnt notice that myself but now that you have pointed it out there is nothing else I can see, will continue with this character tomorrow and fix that.

PS: I forgot to thank you for the great youtube link, watching his videos now.

Feng Zhu uploaded another video so I had to be a fan boy and draw some space ships to. Quite like the one on the bottom right, might take that into photoshop.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    I really like that character design, you've got some great flow going in the material of the coat! And yeah I would really like to see that spaceship on the bottom right taken further

Thanks
    Spaceship now in photoshop, think I want to make the city not come out of the clouds because this kind of jet doesnt look like it would fly very high.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    I messed around for hours trying to place it in the sky with a city beneath and texturing it, but in the end decided I need to start getting things for a portfolio so going to do two more in similiar style and have the three of them as portfolio page.
    My Sketchbook

Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast