Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 895 Posts
    oh dear. watch your fingers on the lines, and your head when turning through the wind!
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey Dennis, thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!

You're working hard and I see lots of progress, though you're heading off into animation which is something I know eff all about so cant really comment, lol. So not much in the way of a crit or advice other than keep working and studying - you'll do great!

Thanks
    Thanks guys, it wasn´t as hard as I expected it to be honoustly. Everything went fine except mooring in a haven once The boat next to us wasnt all that happen then I drew a bit here and there but nothing finished enough to share on here, I am having trouble with starting to draw because I don't know what to draw. I kinda want to do studies but not just random ones. I don't know I might need some more inspiration so I really want to draw a certain thing. I decided to just do another rock study, wanted to keep it short and very draw like because I was working on a drawing with rocks in it and they didnt look all that good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Participating in the Character of the week challenge, have to make a gun smith who lives after an apocalyps took place. This is my WIP so far.

I wanted it to be a young kid, like myself. The character has been injected with a medicine that would stop the disease from spreading, the disease killed 96% of the population and the marks that are visible on his head and arms are results of the disease. Once the marks take over your entire body they take over all organs and will result in dead. The character got his medicine just in time. And now he roams the streets and sells his guns.

Thanks
    Progress, not to happy with it at this stage.

Thanks
    maybe dont leave him floating in space like that?
    its pretty -except for the floating. dont really understand what makes this guy a gun smith/mercant
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    Here is the Final, think I did a good job overall but it still kinda feels like his legs are floating. I should still fix that. Hope you like it.

Thanks
    Working on Anatomy, here is a female Masterstudy WIP

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 921 Posts
    Nice sketchbook Dennis. Overall you're on the right track. Technically you did a great job on the gunsmith. It makes me think of the movie I am Number Four for some reason . Design wise it feels more sci-fi than post apocalyptic to me. I think his clothes should be a bit more messed up to communicate the disaster that happened in his world and that he roams on the streets.

To add that extra touch of life to your figure drawings you might want to study the work of animators. I'll keep an eye on this sketchbook.

Thanks
    Are his feet resting on something or is the floor lower where his sitting? It kinda looks as if his feet are being elevated by something . Check the angle.
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,536 Posts

Look up right directly at the moon now, and know that there is a
    special place kept in the fields of destiny, just for you. Green
    bucket full of luck and steadiness is waiting, will
    be carved into your subconscious all the success when you’ll
    be ready to accept the big amount of happiness. That green
    guy sitting in the dark is looking superb, he is receiving some
    reinventing thoughts right from the curves of those futuristic
    tubes. A bit more dib and dab and Chow will be your middle name.
    You’ve also rocked the foundations with those Stonehenge rock
    studies a page back, definite improvements. You know when you
    do these kind of last figure studies, it would be more effective
    to do them in greyscale and focus only on the anatomy and proportions,
    and leave the colors for later. Just a thought. Either way do things
    as best as you like, and don’t forget when you don’t know what
    to draw, you just draw big breasts. Happy to see you back,
    hope you will keep up with the positive flow.

Thanks
    Dude I can't really see some of your drawings on my laptop,
    make sure to keep them under 1200pix !!!! I didn't look at them
    cause they where way to BIIIIIG,.....!!

If you draw sketches from landscapes think of a front, middle and a background!
    It will give your sketch more depth ! For example draw a ROCK very close to the
    corner and draw a little flower with a bug on it I did something like that in
    my eco presentation it makes it more exciting for the viewer. Pls resize those
    sketches, and I will come back and look at them more closely! THANKS for your
    comments in my sb,........let's help each other out here EH !

Thanks
    Thank you for the kind comments!!

FantasyArtist: Good point on his clothes, didn't think about that.

MrKolsyrad: Yeah, I noticed this too, should put something under his feet, but didn't have time for that before the deadline.

LtPlissken: Thank you very much for the kind words, appreciate it alot. I'll try my best to keep the positive flow.

iven: I am sorry about the images, I never noticed because they are fine on my laptop. Is the image attached to this message the right size for you? Or still to big?
    You are right about the for- mid- and background, I should have thought about that. It could have looked quite cool if the sniper was a sort of silhouette in front.

Random drawing I started, probably going to try and make something cool out of it.

Thanks
    I don't believe I've been here before! Good stuff man! the gunsmith is looking neat! the last drawing I would try to use some foreshortening for the arms!

Thanks
    I love the green glow effect in that recent character painting! Keep going man!

Thanks
    jow dennis how's the animation faring? ah anyway, on the 'master study' (im not sure why it is a master study it looks like a photo), you might want to try fill her up with 100% opacity, then make temp layers where you want to make soft transitions. its a lot easier and faster and looks better in the end. liked the pig on a leash thing; though the girl-knight's neck might be a bit too thin. keep up the good work and see ya soon!

Thanks
    nice sketchbook Dennis hail your existence... I think I finally found my first true rival.
    Same country, same dream, sorta same skill level. I think there are fields that you excel in in art, and that challenges me to level it up, and visa versa.
    Good luck on your artistic journey, keep up the nice drawings and I'll speak you soon!

Thanks
    Gibier: Thank you, appreciate it.

Dragning: Ye, I really like that too, thought it needed something to make it look more cool and thats what I came up with

Ashess: You are right as always, I ditched the study because I continued with it and it looked sheit. Next study I will follow your advice and go full opacity first.

Greggy Frost: Oh no, I need to start upping my game now.
    I've watched the latest FZDschool video on the thumbnailing and I was immediately inspired to do some myself. Some look really bad but I like two or three of them and take them a bit further like Feng did. Really like this method of finding a design that is really fun in a short time period.
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; September 14th, 2014 at 05:29 AM.

Thanks
    those do look like fun and pretty good. did something like that a while back, after watching some other video. planned on doing 1 page daily.... that lasted about a week.
    I think maybe using single lines instead of multiple ones would get the design cleaner.

Thanks
    Hey Dennis. Great job with the chow! That looks great. Nice combo of lighting and pose to convey a mood. This latest Feng approach is looking pretty exciting. I'm looking forward to see you flesh a couple of those out. It looks really fun!

How did the animation go for school. Are you still doing that?

Thanks
    Hey Dennis!

Great to see you work on anatomy, the pose is there and looks pretty good, but the color has some issues. I think you're using a lot of blacks in your shading, and using a lot of blacks in shadow and whites in highlight tends to greyish the picture out a bit. Try to actually see what the color is (and value for that matter). Same goes with the Stonehenge picture at the last page, if you compare the two images (your image and the reference) you can see that the reference is a lot warmer than yours, and that's because you've used a lot of whites and blacks for the stone.

I like the last image, the vehicle designs, Feng Zhu is a god, and he's got a lot of tutorials on youtube, covering everything from design to color to value.

Keep it up Dennis!

Thanks
    Ashess: I try to do the single lines in the stage after the thumbnails because when I was doing the thumbnails I had no idea what I was going to draw and using random lines kinda guided me in the right direction and I could see fun shapes in them to use.

Grumpysaur: That is indeed still happening although I've been trying more 2D stuff because I think it's alot easier But right now I have a problem that flash is crashing whenever I try to save a file

Uiriamu: Thank you for the critique I will try and see if I can do some value studies and I will keep that in mind!

Here is just one spaceship worked out, it took me forever to find out how to texture and put highlights and dark on top without it looking ridiculous, so what Feng did in about 4 minutes it took me about 5 hours and it still looks shi This version took me about twenty minutes after I finally kinda figured it out. Not happy at all with it though but I guess I did learn alot about texturing and putting highlights and shadows on top of that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,536 Posts

Spaceship design at its best, you are knocking them down as they come.
    Be more economic with your lines on those red ship sketches, that’s
    what they are telling me all the time on my drawings. It’s not easy,
    being economic, you have to do one line, but the right one. I also tend
    to do 10 instead of one. The last rendered ship is ok, kinda reminds
    on a mosquito, but you cannot just fill it with gradient, try to think
    about the shapes in 3D and how would the light react on them,
    and first of all where does the light source/sources come from.
    You keep up with the great work, and watch your backpack
    not to get stolen on the bus stop.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 921 Posts
    Nice work on the spaceships Dennis! Like Plissken said, lighting them correctly would be the next challenge for you. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Those spaceship designs look pretty cool, although you might want to watch your perspective more on that refined one. A perspective grid can help with such things.
    Name:  dennishelp.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  184.0 KB

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dragning For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The spaceship is turning out great. I'm really impressed with what you've managed to achieve with it, especially considering this is the first time working with this sort of process. My biggest critique on it so far is that the texture on it is distracting from the overall design. It's like my eye either wants to focus on the texture layer or the design, but not both at once. I think maybe if you modeled it more like others have suggested, that problem would go away.

Hope you'll keep at it. Seems like you'll learn a ton from this.

Thanks
    LtPlissken: Thank you very much, although I like not being economic with the lines in the thumbnail face because the random lines create the shapes that make it happen, these designs were mostly random and just a bit of what I had in my head when I started them. The random lines sort of "guide" me through it. But I'll try one of these pages with economic lines and see if I can still come up with a few.

FantasyArtist: You are right I should do some more complex lightning studies because I know the basics but not the more advanced stuff.

Dragning: Thank you, that is a very nice paint over, didn't realise the perspective was of that much. I will check it on the next one I work out!

Grumpysaur: I agree, I really disliked the texture as well. Spent about two hours trying to figure out how to make it look good, that's also a part why the lightning is so bad because after all that fiddling around I didnt really feel like focussing on making it look good anymore. Will focus way more on the next one and try to texture it less agressively.

I have been drawing alot lately because I'm starting to realise more and more that in a year I am going to be studying something in this area, and I've become serious about studying in the US. So I need to work hard this year to get as good as I can. In a week I'll be able to upload all the things I drew from life in my sketchbook ( Phone is still getting repaired so cant take photos and upload easily )

This is an antartica inspired painting completely from reference. I didn't paint the water that is there in the original because I'll have to do a study about water on it's own. Didnt want to ruin it.

Thanks
    Hey Dennis, thanks for stopping by It's good to be back.
    Wow, you've done a lot since last I was here.. and so many different things too!
    on the iceberg I really tried to find a spot that's not like the reference, but I failed; great work!
    My eye was caught by the female nude study and it's looking good. however, I think you too could benefit from this tutorial: http://fav.me/d2dwqgc as I have done.
    cheeers man!

Thanks
    lovely ice-study David! you're bringing those girls!

Thanks
    BDHD: I've read through the tutorial and some others, those are really good will go back to that link now and then if I need to paint something like human skin.

Ashess: Hahaha I should really change that name, no idea why I did that Thanks btw!

As I said in previous post I dont draw as much as I could because alot of time I dont know where to start of what to draw, but I joined this reddit group in which they put up a theme every day and alot of people draw something everyday and it keeps your score on how often you have uploaded something which is fun. Today's theme was Asia and I got really excited on took way to much on my fork but still alot of fun. So this is the early stage of the linedrawing. Not sure if I'll try and color and texture it. All from reference.

Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast