Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Modelling a human body so I can learn to model people. I feel like all this modelling in 3D will also come in handy for drawing and having a feeling of how things work in space this is being really helpful. And once I get to lightning and such I hope that will help me in 2D art aswell.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You've definitely progressed, I especially like the arrow fan art, amazing! Sorry I can't give you different feedback, as I'm still learning myself
    Trying to draw every day since Feb 26th 2014.
    Crits are always more than welcome!

You can find my sketchbook here: sketchbook

Thanks
    Thank you and I dont mind if you cant give feedback its the fact that you took the time to give me a compliment.
    So many hours into the body its looking way better than the last one I posted and I think I should post the progress more frequently since it is fun for me to look back on it later and so I can keep this updated. Here is my current modell of the hand and I'll get more detail in soon. I'll upload the full body once I'm done.

Thanks
    Working on a logo for a shop which is currently being run by some people in my street. Our street is shaped like a U and in the middle is a big old building, so the idea was to create a circle with the building standing out in the middle and the circle would represent our houses. I sent them a A3 on which were all the choices they could make, so they only had to make a combination of a few things. On that paper I recommended one combination and they ended up going with that one. This is the image I recommended. Working on PhotoShop version now.

Thanks
    Try to still make the logo simplistic, never use too much details in it. It has to look right in a big but also a very small format (i.e. the little logo some people use in the URL bar in your internet browser). Design it with that thought in mind. Usually theres a type logo and an image logo (in Dutch: een beeldlogo en een woordlogo), so think a bit about that. Because it can be improved with those thoughts in mind. Just a thought. And try not to use a slogan in there, which you haven't yet, thank God. Slogans are not to use in a logo, they're for posters and flyers. Or at least that's my opinion, I always cringe when I see a logo with a slogan in it... No... just... no. xD

Also: the way that the type is spaced in this quick sketch isn't the way most people would do it I think, I'd probably put it underneath the image, or try to do it in different ways at least, because right now the type doesn't look appealing to me. Just try out a lot of different things and you'll find something everybody likes (I hope)

It's a nice thought behind de logo, but try to make it look professional, and make it represent the thing that the shop wants to represent. I'm not really for people designing logo's when they aren't designers or never have looked into it a lot, but yeah, I hope you still get something from my tips.. :3
    Trying to draw every day since Feb 26th 2014.
    Crits are always more than welcome!

You can find my sketchbook here: sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanks I took some of the things in consideration. It cant express what the shop is about though because the shop is a mix from all different sort of things and this is the way they wanted it. Here are the four final version which I sent to them so they can pick the one they want. I agree that it's way better for this to be done by a professional and not by a 16 year old. But I'm not saying no if family/friends ask me for a favour like this. And I'm not stealing from professionals or anything because they were not planning on spending any high amount of money so they probably would have asked someone else to do it for free.

The second image is the hand model and is it now. As good as finished so now I'll combine it with the body and start working on the head.

Thanks
    Still working hard everyday on the animation, got the program down for now. Now it´s on to the drawing board for designing the robot which will be the main character in my animation. The new story I came up with is alot easier and simpler so I followed what you guys said. The story is about a robot who wakes up in the middle of the night because he cant sleep. He decides to go for a walk in ( whatever it is that he is living in, some sort of big lab) the building. The doors open automatically and he carefully watches to the right and the left, no one. The corridors are dark but the light emitting from his chest is enough light for him to see. His way of transportation is a big wheel under his body. Riding through some hallways which all look robot-future like he stumbles upon a big door which has robot letter above it. We cant read them but the subtitles will say: Keep out, danger. Not sure if the doors just open automatically and he is like well k sure, ill go in. Or that he pushes a red button or something, not sure yet. Inside he sees things he has never seen before in the building or ship whatever it is. There are all these organic things on water? Not sure what you call that in english but there are floating things in tubes. After taking a look around he sees this beautiful flower. Then he notices around him are all dead flowers in tubes, so he wants to save the flower cliché. Till there I made the story it´s probably still to hard to make but I want to keep the image big so I can always cut on ideas and make it more simplistic than that I have to come up with new things because I put the bar to low. I like throwing it up there. Here is the robot´s face. I want it to be cute so the viewer feels for it and gets this aaaaaaaaah when they see it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 895 Posts
    still very worried about that animation project... when's the due date?
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    Digging the robot face. It definitely gives that that awwwwwwww feeling! hope the animation goes well, and keep pushing!

Thanks
    The animation is due in 10 months. January 17th

Thanks Chevy I will !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Super cute robot. Love the design. I like the story too. Hopefully it's doable in the time frame you have. It seems like you could simplify it easier than the other story if you need to.

Thanks
    Been working alot more in Maya, watched alot of tutorials on nCloth which is very nice for making things like clothes and destructions. The flag animation was really easy to make but the destruction was quite hard. But completely understand it now and I quite like the outcome.

not sure if we can embed youtube videos on this forum, I tried and failed so I guess not. Here are the links:

Flag animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2_mtyMTPAM

Destruction animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JZ8PnsObRo

EDIT: Embedding failed, so here are the links.
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; March 21st, 2014 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks
    I made this short video for school today, it's very basic and I didn't put much effort into it. But we basically had to make a movie about a story we got. It was about a woman who constantly had man over and she had a fionce, she also kept thinking about her youth and one day a man comes in to give her a net. Yes it was completely random and it obviously wasnt supposed to make sense. But everyone had to make a film about it, and this could be anything. Film what the story tells, film the feeling you get when you read it etc. I decided I wanted to do the atmosphere that it created. It was kinda spooky and dark, so that's what I went for. I choose the creepy music with the children's thing playing in it so that would be the thing that she kept thinking of in her youth. Again nothing special but wanted to share anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ao_...ature=youtu.be

Thanks
    Here is a rig tutorial I followed to get myself familiar with rigging in Maya. Took me like 9 hours or something. All parts of the body are fully moveable. The first one is just with the joints and controls. The second is an example of how you can move it. I'll probably do an animation with it soon.

Thanks
    Been longer than two months, so I'll just skip the excuses part and explain the new drawing. This is a single image strip I made for a magazine. There is a whole story behind it but I wont bother you with that. Next up is another assignment and I'll be working on that. Probably not for the upcoming two weeks though because I have one more week of tests coming up and I need to do well to pass.

Thanks
    ah, you're still around! good. its a nice drawing. the arms on the professor are a bit distracting with their disproportional sizes... and OMG! how's the animation going?|!?
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    Yay! Good to hear from you. Cool comic panel. You really have a knack for characters.

I wish you well on those tests! Come back and update us when you can.

Thanks
    Ah thanks guys, I worked really hard. Didnt think I had it in me to learn seven hours everyday after school for two weeks. But I did and I passed with only one bad grade!!! So happy that I made it and now that I got my holidays, I am hoping to get alot of practice done. I wanted to do a mountain study for once because I tried to start a landscape completely from imagination and I realised I had no clue how to make it look believable or how to do it. So here is a small study. I started really really zoomed out and tried to get all the values right and then gradually zoomed in more. I didn´t want to go even more in detail cause I want to do a few, and this already took me about 2 hours But with practice it should take less and less time.

The second picture is a cowboy like town I was working on and the third is the new assignment, it is someone who is going on retirement and leaving the company. The caravan and the papers flying out are all funny references I believe, no idea why and what they mean though The guy in the car is just a random guy for now, I'll get a picture so I can turn him into a character. And there will be a group of people waving him goodbye.

Thanks
    So in the light of the mountain study, I thought I'd do one on rocks. At first I wanted a simple rock, and now I think that would have probably been smarter. But really liked this image Not really happy with the outcome, I need to do more black and white studies first, the colour picking I found really hard and you can see most of the colours dont match. Took me about three hours Alot of the difficulty comes from having to do all the textures with only a soft and a hard brush because I have no idea what good brushes are and people often say it´s good to just stick with the standard photoshop brushes.
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; July 16th, 2014 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks
    Joining in on IDOW not that I have a shot against the " pro's " but still alot of fun. The idea is to create a machine for planting seeds and helping to maintain forests. I made mine float which I thought was a brilliant idea And on the back is the main part where the arms come out of. It can rotate and the arms do all the work while it floats low above the ground. This is still a WIP ofcourse

Thanks
    These are two more mountain studies I did a few months ago on a skiing trip, both are made from the balcony.

Thanks
    good stuff here dennis. on the stonehenge thing, you need to find a way to show instantly which rock faces are pointing the same way. a unified tone I'd say. the last mountain study is great. the one with the houses needs some atmospheric perspective though!

Thanks
    Thanks for the comment ashess. What do you mean with finding the faces that look the same way. Because alot of sides are facing the same way but they have different values because of things on top or shadow and light? So they dont have the same value even though they are facing the same direction, or isnt that what you meant

Here is the linedrawing finished on my IDOW mech. Now going for colour and shading and texturing, I've never gone pass this point of a serious design or illustration so I am going try to figure out how to use texture and make it look good.

Thanks
    aah. I knew you were gonna ask. and I suck at this particular subject.
    so... this is where I link you to some stuff about simplifying forms. but, amazingly enough, that's hard to find.
    anyway, what im talking about is a unity in the shapes facing the same way. I know in the end these will not be exactly the same tone, but before reflect light, cast shadow and moss had their come-around, these planes would have been the same shade, right? so, well; as I said I suck at this, so I'm not sure how well my example turned out, but I think you can see that my version is a lot easier to read as box-shaped rocks, whereas yours has turned a bit amorphous.
    somewhat. lol. is this useful?

Name:  dennis2.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  112.1 KB

Name:  dennis2b.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  124.1 KB

Thanks
    Ooh I see what you man, the drawing explanation was Great. That painting already looks better than my Final version. Okay I will definetely search for plains that are facing the same direction next time I do a study and make them the same groundcolor. Thanks for the explanation ashess it is very clear now!

Thanks
    Tried to do another portrait digitally but I am just not good with values and technique digital. Need a good pratice to improve that. Tried traditional but don´t like how it came out at all. The right eye is really bad and it overall doesnt really look like me.

Thanks
    your very welcome dennis! Im glad to help. the portrait is okay, you just need to stop outlining the features that harshly; it'll break all that 3d feeling your shading is trying to achieve!

Thanks
    Will work on that in upcoming studies, I realised I was doing this aswell. Sometimes I map out the drawing before and do that a bit to harsh.

Here is assignment for neighbour.

Thanks
    Glad to see your'e updating often man! For the shading I'd suggest trying to use the side of the lead if your'e not already. Not much else to say, keep it up!
    "What are these barriers that keep people from reaching anywhere near their potential? Fear or laziness?" -Waking life
    Sketchbook
    Deviantart
    Pinterest

Thanks
    Thanks man appreciate it! I am going on a 2 week sailing holiday to greece tomorrow. So don´t think I´ll ever have wifi long enough to update this. We are going with a 14 meter long boat and none of the family have any experience with sailing Except for my mom and dad who've gotten lessons from our neighbours and family 3 days xD So fingers crossed we don't drown. See you in two weeks!

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast