Page 53 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Keep up the good work with the gestures! Once you have a knack of this with good proportion and perspective, try and dedicate some time to learning anatomy and especially muscle attachments. It takes a lot of time but once you are aware of them they stay with you!

I strongly advise also being aware of where the horizon line is when you are drawing a figure. It keeps you mind thinking about the fact that everything above it you are looking up to it, and everything below you are looking down on. When you start putting your own figures into a painting with a horizon line for reference, you'll have a head start. poor awareness of perspective is a very common mistake.

Keep it going!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    iven: Thanks! The website has been changed it's no longer called pixelovely but instead it's now line of action. You can visit it here: https://line-of-action.com/practice-...igure-drawing/

mdog: That's great to hear, I'm not too happy with the improvement on the figures myself yet but I hope after the CGMA course I'll feel like I've improved my knowledge enough. Thanks for stopping by

Black Spot: Glad to hear it! Thank you, I will keep that in mind and keep the facial features more vague or play around with shadows, thanks!

ElisaClaes: Thanks I was in a similar situation, before this I took a gap year and sometimes worked full time but other times only worked at a job 4 hours a week and barely drew. I guess the school environment is helping too but as you say it's about discipline. Force yourself to do it don't rely on motivation. I'm not really motivated atm because I've been on holiday for a week and it's hard to get back into it but once I have done a week of getting up to draw at 8 and not leaving school till 19 then I'll be in the rhythm again and won't go out of that schedule. Make sure you have a routine, that helps the most imo.

Sparekiss: Thank you!

Kimonas: That's exactly what I'll be doing from the 4th of May for 8 weeks! I'm doing the CGMA "analytical figure drawing" course and it's all about muscles and how they attach and twist etc. Really hopes this will help indeed. I've actually never considered putting a horizon line in my figure drawing and now that I'm thinking about it it's quite confusing. Don't know why but I guess the fact that I can't quite wrap my head around that shows that I'm not really thinking in terms of form when I'm drawing characters but rather shapes that I am used to seeing over and over in character art. Thanks for pointing that out!

I've had a great week away skiing in the Alpes. Got back to the UK yesterday and was my first day back today working in the labs. Definitely bit harder to stay focused the full 10 hours (hence why I'm already uploading this while I'm only 7 hours in.) But I guess it's normal after a week off that I need a little time to get used to it again, have so much work to do before deadlines though it's insane. Gonna have to pull 14-17 hours days in the last week/weeks to get everything done. But I'm still really excited about the CGMA classes and do like the work that I am doing so should all be good

Also signed up to the Character Design class with Robot Pencil from Anthony Jones, starting the 29th of May. Hopefully there will be more mentor ships opening up soon. I really want to do the environment one from Learnsquared but have yet to receive an e-mail for registration.

Have been working on a side view of my spaceship to put on the design page of it. Also need to do another character for this module. I have a story in mind and it involves a leader of a rebel group which the hunter guy gets caught up in the middle of, so I did some thumbnails for her. Originally wanted to make her very royal looking but I'm going to do a more viking like design, I'm dropping the swords etc though because it's set in the future. Going to have fun making a futuristic rebel leader. For the module where I'm studying Feng Zhu I'm doing one of those interior environment drawings of a bar that his students often have to do. So also includes an early WIP for that.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    My Sketchbook
    Connect with me on Artstation

Thanks
    Those character silhouettes are solid dude. Love that rough environment too.

Thanks
    GaryBedell: Thank you!

Back in the rhythm and finished the full 10 hours Picked the colors for the spaceship and started rendering it also finished the side view. Did a ton of stuff for the presentation of it. Not sure if I want to keep the line art in the final version of the spaceship or if I want to get rid of it. Not really liking how the colors are looking at the moment but I do like the rough color version so just got to make sure it looks more like that.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    so I looked at page 1,5,15,25,35,44,51 and 53 amazing you filled up so much pages in the past 3 years, congratulations, and you seem to really put in a solid amount of time on your pieces, look forward to checking in again. Good luck.

Thanks
    Crixus333: Thanks! I put a little bit too much time into my pieces Need to learn how to work my efficiently and quicker at some point. These final images take like 130+ hours from start to finish.

Finished the spaceship! Really didn't like how it looked in the last update but think I got it into the right direction again. It's the very first image that I finally think is somewhat good enough to upload on my Artstation. So if you want to check that out and see the process too you can do so here. I'd love to follow any of you if you have Artstation profiles. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v3dyY
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Barely did anything for 3 days over Easter, was planning to work 10 hours a day but the labs closed and I find it really hard to concentrate at home and without a proper tablet. Back today though and thankfully didn't have to find the rhythm again easily over 10 hours and was focused the entire time. Been quite productive today and feels good. Deadlines are 3 weeks away but I think with some serious hours in the last week I should be able to make it. Finalized 3 pages of characters and started working on the fourth and last. Finalized my Hunter character design and uploaded to Artstation. Also drew a little guy in a break to see how where my anatomy from imagination was at. The first pose was from ref and the second was me trying to make it more interesting and then applying muscles on top.
    My Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi Dennis, great sketchbook you've got here. Your spaceship design is great, but I think one thing you're going wrong with is the colors. I think you're using to many different colors too chaotically. All the contrasting colors close to each other in little patches makes the whole thing look a bit messy I think. Real life fighter jets or even rockets or the space station barely have any color at all. Unless they have some kind of camouflage paintjob, they are usually completely gray, save for a yellow warning sticker here, a squad emblem or navy logo there. So I think you could make it look a lot tighter by choosing a more coherent color palette and using deviating colors more sparingly. Besides that I love it and the final version looks presentation worthy! One small note on the Hunter character design, I think something is still making the robots look a bit flat, maybe it's the lights. If you add some visible LEDs or something, it might make it look better, not entirely sure. Also the lights look very bright, so maybe you could tone them down just a little bit to prevent them from distracting the eye away from the actual character, but maybe you want more focus on the robots, that's up to you.
    I can't believe you can work for 10 hours straight. I think that's why I would never make it as an actual concept artist. I love drawing but I can only do it for 2-3 hours at a time max. Recently I have a lot of time on my hands so I'm pushing myself to upload to my sketchbook every day, but I struggle to even come up with something to draw every day or sometimes I just don't feel like drawing at all, so I've missed one or two days here and there.
    You have some great stuff and work ethic, I'm sure you'll make it in the business

Thanks
    PhanThom-art: Thanks for the feedback, you are definitely right that there's a lot of colours and even though I didn't want it to be as dull color wise as a jet I see what you mean. I think I was trying to incorporate too many colours from the hunter design. (its his ship) while the many colors work on the character it doens't translate so well to the vehicle as you point out. I'll try adding LED's to the lights off the robots, hopefully I can do it soon because once the classes from CGMA kick in I'll need way more than 10 hours of work a day to finish everything
    If you can do 2-3 hours by yourself everyday than I think you could easily do 10 in a work environment and if you got the work for it. Also if you got a rhythm for it, I get up at 8 and then work from 9:30-19:30. During my gap year I probably did an average of 2 hours of work a day, less than you. It's like you say struggling with coming up with what to draw and just staring at a blank page. I have so much work that I need to do that there is never a blank page to stare at and that greatly helps in putting in the hours. So I think if you were in a full-time course you'd easily get the 10 hours too. And thank you, I hope that if I keep this work ethic up I will

Another productive day today. Finished the final page or the character and made clean line art for the poster which I then also did the block colors for. Also did a ton of stuff for the presentation and reference boards but have never uploaded those here as I don't really see the point.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Didn't expect to render it fully just today but went pretty smoothly.

Edit: Lol Ive just realised I uploaded this and theres a whole character missing Will turn that layer back on and then reupload, was a long day okay..

Edit2: Re-uploaded, now with the character.
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; April 21st, 2017 at 06:15 AM.
    My Sketchbook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Have uploaded the sketch before but thought I'd do it again to show. So did the sketch during the holiday and didn't really like it that much. Especially the scale of it, I wanted it to have a cabin like feel and this way just huge. So I started and slowly moved it more into the direction that I wanted and I think it got a lot closer to what I originally had in mind. Still need to add in a load of items, this was quite good practice I feel. The reason I did a painting like this is because I wanted to do practice perspective again. Will add more items and then go over the whole thing and make it look like a sketch as Feng Zhu does them. As this is for the "Favourite Artist" Module. All in all this took me about 6 hours, I only did 7 1/2 hours of work today because it's really hard to stay focused with just doing this sort of perspective and nothing else.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    dude about 2 or 3 days ago i saw that hunter character on artstation randomly! i think it was on the trending 2d character art so thats pretty cool! nice creatures btw

Thanks
    Amazing you can keep drawing so long, like PhanThom-art said I struggle doing more then 2-3 hours at a time. For me it's more a case of distraction, so lately I've been turning off my internet when I draw, but I still struggle to concentrate for that long. I have been getting better though, so I hope to build up my time spent on art by just pushing it a little longer each day.

Your perspective work makes me really feel motivated to keep working on perspective. It may have taken time but you cutaways look amazing! Like the crazy creatures too, really fun!

Thanks
    Lots of stuff here Dennis
    I like the look of that cabin. Very solid.
    In the Monster Factory poster, I think the contrast between light and shadow are very low; If these guys have an intense light (explosion) behind them, they will have some pretty harsh hard light shadows on them.
    At the moment, they are rendered as if there is a lot of ambient light, making the whole thing more flat. I mostly notice this on the green dinosaur guy.
    Also, is that explosion light yellow or white? You've used yellow on the left and white in the middle and right

Thanks
    Sparekiss: That is really really cool indeed. I was wondering where the likes from random people all over the world were coming from, mustve been because of that. A long term goal of mine is to come on the front page of Artstation so I guess this is a small step in the right direction Thanks for letting me know!

HeathWalsh: If you work 2-3 hours a day without being in a school environment that's already really impressive. Today I would have never worked so long if I was on my own but because of the deadlines and the fact that I just have to get this done made me work the ten hours. Glad I make you want to draw more perspective, it's really good to see quick improvement in your work

BHDH: I agree with the poster feedback and will change it accordingly! The explosion is supposed to be very bright/white in the middle so I'll make sure that's consistent on the left. Thanks a ton for the feedback!

Another full day on this piece, I managed to do it for ten hours today though. After about 7 hours I got really sick of doing the line art so I started already putting in the flats for the shading. Hopefully I can get this finished by Monday.
    My Sketchbook

Page 53 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast