Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
Results 1,351 to 1,374 of 1374
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 944 Posts
    You bring up a good point about rhythm, it's still something I find to be such a tricky subject, because some people say you should only render exactly what it is you see and not exagerrate the pose at all, but I do belive for drawing you own characters that its better if you also have some rhythm knowledge.
    Keep in mind that rhythm exists in the figure, so you can draw with it and be pretty accurate to reality, because it is part of reality. You can exaggerate if and as much as you want to, however drawing with rhythm and fluidity does not automatically mean exaggerating what you see.

Nice work on those cowboy paintings!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    FantasyArtist: That is a good point which I completely forgot about, guess I just need to find the rhythm better! Thank you

Been quite busy these last few days working on an environment, also did a self portrait today, just need to finish both up tomorrow and then I'll post them. Here are some more studies from Michael Hamptons Figure Drawing Book.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Self portrait that I finished yesterday, took about 5 hours, was fun.

Thanks
    While you have amazing work ethic I think you should listen to people who are wise before it's too late - https://www.facebook.com/Castaguer/p...2%3A%22R%22%7D

6. The Following User Says Thank You to artzcatz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Artzcatz: I know a lot of students make that mistake but I am not one of them I work 9-7 everyday and almost never change from that schedule, I havent gotten less than 7.5 hours of sleep because of drawing ever, I definitely know the importance of sleep and think all those people working 16 hours but sleeping for 4 are shooting themselves in the foot in terms of long term consequences of sleeping too little, but thanks for looking out for it!

Doing some figure drawing for a course now, will still also go to tonight's extra class, yesterday's was cancelled. I was trying to push the 3 dimensionality within the poses and I think for the next few weeks Im going to focus on that, exagerrating the sizes of things coming forward and going into the distance to create more dynamic perspectives. As I love the dynamic splash art type perspectives I think this will be good practice for me. These also include some drawings I did in a class a previous week.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 944 Posts
    While you have amazing work ethic I think you should listen to people who are wise before it's too late - https://www.facebook.com/Castaguer/p...2%3A%22R%22%7D

Thanks for sharing this! I was just experiencing this lately myself. Taking enough rest is very important, as well as living a balanced life. I think Dennis has been traveling and having a lot of fun though, so that part isn't a challenge for him .

Thanks
    Fantasyartist: It's indeed great advice and you're right Im all good ;D

So I've been very busy this week, not unlike any other weeks, but Ill do a couple of posts bombarding with updates.

First up, lifedrawing sessions, normally I update right after the sessions but since the website was down for a week here are sessions from last week and also the extra sessions from the actual classes. I started experimenting with acrylic and it turned out horrible, but traditional painting is something I've always wanted to get into, so later I tried watercolor which went slightly better, however at the moment I am learning gouache, more on that in next post. Apologies for the size, didnt rescale these as I might use some in my uni assignment for grading.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    After those lifedrawing sessions I have been studying asian architecture, really diggin architecture and designing my own stuff in this way, was/is a lot of fun. First page are some random bash sketches and second are some studies from google maps. The next design is my own. Heavily inspired by G liu lian, my god his work is awesome. The quick render in the snow environment I'll probably ditch, think Im going for a more summer setting, maybe Ill do both, Ill see.

Thanks
    So after the figure drawing sessions where I tried acrylic and water color, which werent a big success, I was still determined to finally get into traditional painting and learn more about color. It's been the only fundamental I've not really studied very much because I feel like the other fundamentals like anatomy and perspective are more important in the beginning. However, I do think I've got a decent grip on those now, so it's time to learn some new stuff. I've seen so many people do awesome paintings from life, which were most often done in gouache, so that's the medium I went with too. I bought myself some tanzels gouache on recommendation of Anton (he has a sketchbook here with phenomenal gouache paintings) and I started off doing a very comfort zone portrait in black and white just to get used to the medium and become a bit more comfortable with it. Did this yesterday and was quite a bit of fun, also content with it as it's my first ever really traditional painting, except from stuff I did as a teenager. Today I'm starting again in Gurney's color and light, but I feel like this time I will actually learn way more from it as I'll be painting along.

Thanks
    Yesterday I did some gouache color studies from James Gurney's color and light, took me forever, painting on the right of the first page, was my first ever colored gouache painting, took about 4 hours, just trying to get the colors as close as possible to the reference, really challenging. Today during the lifedrawing session I also used gouache, so hard to get the colors right, but I do believe its just a matter of practice and Ill get it. Quite happy with how quickly I got the poses to look correctly in pencil underneath. Hopefully with some plein-air painting and more lifedrawing I can get some accurate colors in a few weeks.
    Last edited by Dennis van Kessel; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:11 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I always get too scared to comment here... but your sketchbook is absolutely amazing! *___*

Thanks
    Billie Cake: haha nothing to be afraid of! Thank you for the compliment.

I posted in the artist looking for jobs section on this forum and got my first freelance job that way. So the last couple of days I have been working on this character for Tellest. They really liked it and send me the next character to do, I experimented with a different rendering technique for this character, I got some critique on a previous character that I needed to make my values more clearly grouped on separate layers and then to do ambient occlusion and light layers on top. So thats the approach I used for this character which I quite enjoyed.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Gz for first job, keep experimenting with critique you got, but don't forget to play with your personal work http://www.muddycolors.com/2018/07/w...-any-to-spare/

Thanks
    Congratulations btw Dennis on your commission, good job man!

Thanks
    Stonec: I will definitely to loads of personal work, I'm still doing a university course after all, but I also experiment with freelance work, for instance for that piece I learned a whole new way of rendering the figure, I dont think just because it's for a company I can't still learn and try new things. But I definitely understand the importance of continueing to do my own stuff, and I definitely will

Edgarej: Thanks man!

Did some plein-air painting with some other students Sunday, super hard to get the colors right but I think for my very first ever plein-air painting its not horrible. Also some lifedrawings from yesterday evening.

Thanks
    Hi. I just saw your portfolio on Art Station and fell in love with the environments. It's wonderful to see you're painting en plein air too. What medium are you using, Gouache?

Thanks
    Lillendandie: Thank you! It is indeed gouache yes. Just started learning, but its quite a bit of fun to paint traditionally.

Yesterday lifedrawing sessions, first bunch were during a class during the day and I really wasnt feeling it, the model didnt show up to the evening class but Steve modelled with a prop gun which was fun. Trying to put in the perspective and ground plane more now to try and learn exagerration or the dynamic in the poses. Feel like I need to do something new again with my figure drawings to keep improving. Also, anyone here going to IAMAG by any chance next week? Would be cool to meet some CA peeps.
    Last edited by Dennis van Kessel; 1 Week Ago at 06:50 PM.

Thanks
    Had been working on this character for the last two days. Commissioned by Tellest. Quite surprised at how much quicker this already went than the previous character, it's not as detailed but only took 2 and a half days to complete. Did a sketch first in my sketchbook in pencil and ink, definitely need to work on my 3-dimensionality of the figures. I realised after that I really am not thinking about where the horizon line is and how the forms sit in perspective, rather just draw the shapes as I think a character should look. Which makes my traditional character drawings look very flat.

I also uploaded a GIF of the process on Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/RY5OaO

Doesnt work on here. I wrote a short step by step of how I tackled this piece too. Still very new to this so please take it with some salt, but people asked so I wrote it for them.

1. Sketch. 2. Line art. 3. Flat colors on separate layers. 4.Ambient Occlusion layer (Look up what this is if you dont know, basically draw the shadows that are created by 2 planes intersecting and therefore less light reaching those areas, these are not cast shadows. It gives a general form to what it is you're drawing. Put this layer on Multiply on top of colors.
    5. Light layers, on top of the ambient lighting layer you can draw the actual direction of the light, this will have cast shadows as the lightsource will come from a certain direction.
    Screen layer mode, or lighten, play around with it.
    6. Rendering on top, previous steps help with getting a good sense of form but a fair amount of rendering will be needed on top. Hope it helps.

Thanks
    Bunch of figure drawings, also some drawing I did from life on Sunday. Still learning how to paint traditionally, making slow progress. During today's figure drawing session I was looking at a classmate mainly, because his figure drawings are really good.
    Last edited by Dennis van Kessel; 1 Week Ago at 09:38 AM.

Thanks
    It’s going better with me but damn I wish I got the same determination
    I get irritated so quick x(

Thanks
    Thanked 2,854 Times in 2,565 Posts
    Gorgeous traditional trench blowtorch , you are nailing some nasty grind into the machine. Keep the flow on. Never stop.

Thanks
    EliClaes: Small steps, we've spoken about this before but if you can get a rhythm going that really helps, even if its just 30 minutes each day, at one point each day if you can stick with that, after awhile it becomes so normal that it wont feel like you have to push yourself to do work. I totally get how frustrating it must be though.

LtPlissken: Thanks man, I shall never stop!

So I went to IAMAG in Paris the last 4 days, it was a lot of fun, met a ton of awesome people and got some really good critiques as well as very educational talks. Time to get back to work now, today we did some environment drawing from life, so I got the fineliners out. Also some figure drawings from yesterday, keep in mind I had 3 hours of sleep and I had travelled 9 hours, quite proud of myself though that I still went to the figure drawing session and kept my promise to myself of never missing a single figure drawing session Bit lost again with what I'm doing with figure drawing, so went back to more construction on top of rhythm.
    Last edited by Dennis van Kessel; 2 Days Ago at 11:23 AM.

Thanks
    Tonight's figure drawing.

Thanks
    Working on new character for Tellest, quick sketches done to give some choices on the pose. they went with the third. Quite happy with how quickly I am able to draw figures now that look decently believable, drawing poses and anatomy with proportions has always been a massive pain and it feels great to have overcome that hurdle. Makes character design a lot more fun.

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46