Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1330
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,702 Times in 4,612 Posts
    One good this with correcting digitally is that you can go back to the original and complete it - you should as it would be awesome then. Loving the updates since I was here last along with the progress. I might have to a similar exercise in drapery as I have a composition buzzing in my head that needs loads.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey,

Nice life drawing and still life work on this page.

I do PS touch ups on my real world stuff too.

Keep 'em coming

Thanks
    Aotix: Thanks man, I think it's not really the school, Teesside isnt bad but it isnt amazing either. But the course has allowed me to do fully focus on improving my 2D drawing skills. Glad you see improvement

Stonec: I always try with the side of the pencil but it rarely actually works, not sure if it's my pencils although it's probably me , maybe I need to sharpen them better so there's actually a side to use.

fefe73: Thanks for the compliment!

edgarej: Thank you!

Black Spot: I didnt know it was so common and adviced to fix traditional stuff digitally, I thought it was a bit cheaty and that way I'm not owning up to my mistakes. But I do see your point about actually finishing pieces and also seeing where the problems are, so I'll take your advice and fix some stuff digitally more often. Im curious to see that composition with the drapery!

Jephyr: Thanks for letting me know, I'll feel less bad about touching up my traditional stuff in the future!

Bit of an absence, still working full-time at Wooga, did go to figure drawing classes but was too lazy to upload my work here, wasnt super happy with the outcome either. I'm really enjoying my time at Wooga and learning a ton, especially at the moment from drawing characters. But also really looking forward to going back into hardcore studying and personal work in a few months when Im back at uni. I was constantly thinking when I was back at uni I would tackle some older pieces that I think have potential, but it's a bad mindset to keep thinking "oh I'm gonna do this in x weeks and then itll be awesome", those things often end up not happening. So thought I would just do it now, even though I can only do a few hours at a time.

So here is a piece I did last year and didnt really finish as I didnt know how to proceed. Let's see how much I've improved in this internship year and where I can push this. Here is the current changes I've made. Now gonna ask for feedback in a bunch of places, apply the critiques and then start a very long process of rendering, which I love.

Critiques /ideas/feedback very welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Sorry for being such a lazy bastard and not uploading my figure drawings. I did also work a bit more on that splash art but I think I will really dive back into that in January and finish it. Here's some life drawing from last night, both poses 1 hour. Another session tonight so will make sure to not be lazy and upload that tomorrow.

Thanks
    It's a great inspiration that you put time spent on your figure studies, it gives a nice idea what the goal should be, and helping in visualizing your confidence with line.
    I love your art, thanks for sharing

Thanks

Thanks
    Trixtar: Thank you for the kind comment!

EliClaes: okay, okay, haha I wasnt going to post this update since it really isnt a big chance. I will finish this piece and do the final rendering in January when I have a few weeks of full-time to work on my own stuff.

Some lifedrawings from the past week, there were more but if I'm not consistent and take pictures or scan instantly like I do at uni then the papers get all over the place and I cant be asked This too will be more structured like before when I scanned all my drawings straight after the sessions at university, I'll be back in at uni in January. Also a small update to the splash art, will finish this when Im back at uni also. Not so happy with how my lifedrawings are going lately, feels like I'm missing a clearly structured approach or goal. Although I have been forcing myself to draw the faces, hands and feet. Which is something I often just ignored before because those pieces often ruined my lifedrawings, so maybe I just need to keep practicing those.

Thanks
    Nice figure drawings Dennis! Also that painting your working on looks really good

Thanks

Thanks
    TheBigItch: Thanks man! I definitely look forward to really diving into that painting more, I've already learnt so much from it. I started it months ago and I enjoy the fact that everytime I leave it alone for awhile and come back to it, that I feel I need to restart it, because I've learned so many things in the mean-time that I need to implement.

EliClaes: I also liked the snake, think it makes it more original, one of the things I'll have to decide is when I continue to work on it if I want to spend a lot of time actually designing this character and her story. Right now it's too vague and all the designs are so safe and boring, it's not original. Mainly because I set out to just create a nicely rendered illustration, but I think I should push myself further and do a proper design, orrr I just turn it into a fan art and use an exisiting design from one of the league of legends champions, but not so sure about that. I do think I got rid of the snake because it was so hard to draw, and that's never a good reason to remove something, so I'll have to add it back unless I take the design completely elsewhere.

Been doing a lot of figure drawing, going to all the classes. Still not really systematically uploading everything, but here is another batch from a night. The detailed guy was on another night. I was really not feeling happy about my figure drawings the last few weeks as I felt I wasnt improving or learning anything, as I had pointed out before in previous updates. I started to read some books/forums that were recommended to give me some inspiration/guidance on what I should do next, one book mentioned: "Draw on a continious basis as excercise, NOT TO MAKE PRETTY IMAGES" I realised through that that the last few weeks that's exactly the mistake I've been making. At my current class, at the end everyone puts their drawings on a table and people vote which their favourite is, top 3 get a free drink/free entry. My competitive nature made me want to end up in that top 3, at least once. So I tried to create a pretty image, because I thought that was what people would vote on. After reading that text I started just drawing for myself and letting loose of the pressure to create something good, and what happened? You guessed it, I got second place The first drawing is an example of how I went about a 3-minute drawing before.

The way I approached it with charcoal and just loose was very good, and I really liked the drawings I did, so I bought some more charcoal drawing stuff and did some drawing at home, which are the last two. I will now do more loose charcoal drawings at tonight's class. Definitely was another epiphany moment and feels like I've broken through something that was holding me back from improving my figures further.

Some of these I am really content with, especially the 3 minute ones I felt like they were definitely the best quick figure drawings I've done so far. But more importantly it now feels like I have a more clear path towards all the improvement I still have to make. The tank I did quickly during the break.
    Last edited by Dennis van Kessel; November 20th, 2018 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks
    Yesterday evening's figure drawings. 1- 5- 10- and 15 minutes. Also studied some more Micheal Hampton facial stuff, helped so much with drawing faces afterward, definitely will be studying the Michael Hampton book more in-depth in the coming weeks/months.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,702 Times in 4,612 Posts
    Loving the recent life drawing. I really need to get back to it.

I hear you on revisiting old paintings. I got one out for an exhibition, took one look at it and repainted most of it. Amazing what a couple of years can do to your idea of perfection.

Thanks
    Black Spot: Thank you, and you definitely should! I think it's a great sign when you need to redesign an old painting, but also a scary one. For me it's also like, what if Im thinking that a current piece is pretty good, like I thought of that older piece but in reality I just havent learned enough yet and it's shit

Portrait drawings from Tuesday's portrait drawing session. Going over the Micheal Hampton approach/construction of the face helped so much with my faces. Still need to practice a lot more, especially with the far side of the face, I dont quite understand yet how it works with the construction method and in general I make a lot of mistakes there. First page are 3 minutes each and the rest are 15 or 20 minutes. Jennifer Wuestling was at the session and I was fangirling pretty hard In the voting on the drawings after the session I actually came in first place. Although I'm pretty sure Jeniffer got way more votes, but I believe she has won so often that the free entry price of first place was useless for her, so they gave her second place and a free drink instead. That's one free entry for me though

Thanks
    great work dennis

Thanks
    Thanks man!

Yesterday's evening session, short poses. Not so happy with how these turned out, but that's okay, overall still feel like Im getting somewhere slowly with the lifedrawings. But I do need to do some serious studying again, but almost time to go back to university and then I'll go crazy.

Last month (leaving on the 21st of December) at Wooga. Have had such a good time here, but also looking forward to uni again. They did actually offer me a job here but I declined as I feel like I am not really looking for the 9-5 working life just yet, and I want to improve so much more/study more before I enter the industry. So will continue my plan to finish my degree and then do another 1-2 years of studying in the US or elsewhere.

Thanks
    portraits are looking good great expressions they really have emotion in them

Thanks
    I love your values. Very motivating to see.

Thanks
    EliClaes: That's great to hear, I do feel like I made big improvement in my portraits in the last weeks, all after I went back and studied the proper construction again

Ronjarobbersdaughter: Thank you Thats always a big compliment to help someone feel motivated!

From yesterday evening's portrait drawing class, I came in first again! I think the 30min portrait with the captain hat is definitely my best 30 minute portrait drawing yet. Now ontowards more improvement!

Thanks
    Figure drawing from last two long pose sessions. All one hour poses. Yesterday was my last session here in Berlin. Moving back to the UK soon and continueing my studies. Quite happy with how much my figure drawings have improved in the last 6 months.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Enjoyed Christmas break and didnt draw for a few days. Now I'm back at university since Sunday and I surprisingly actually returned to my old 9-7 schedule immediately, quite happy about that. So I've been working on this illustration, god the amount of times I've redrawn things... But I really want it to be good so I continue to push it. Really thought I was close but I'm still making mistakes and messing up the perspective/believability of this angle. Just found a sketch from months ago that I originally did for this project and there the upshot is a lot more convincing, so Ill be taking things from that sketch tomorrow and redrawing stuff like the face and some foreshortening elements again, and probably again This piece is probably already 150+ hours in the making by now, but I sure as hell am going to finish it to the best of my abilities. So here is the rough render, which I did first to establish what I wanted, took forever because I kept having to redraw and correct things. Then I went into construction mode to make sure I got the right shapes and forms and then I did the line art, which I'll now go and adjust/redraw partially to hopefully make the upshot more believable, it's really important for this piece to pull that off and I dont think I am currently.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    nice work Dennis, maybe you could show parts of her feed. Like one is showing of the edge...I don't know why, but my mind told me it could be interesting lol. I love your sketches. Good fight. Good night.
    the Ink

Thanks
    I love grinds like this. It takes so much patience, but I always feel like it yields better results, even if half of the population thinks your sketch of the finished piece looks better (oh, the ever ongoing debate of impressionism v french classical, lol)

Thanks
    Inkognito: Thanks! I really tried to stay away from the feet because I didnt know exactly how they'd look. Which is probably where most of my problems stemmed from because I didnt properly construct the whole thing. I dont think I will show a foot over the edge but I did draw the rough shapes to get a better idea for the placement. Maybe Ill try and see if I like it with the foot over.

Edgarej: Haha this one has definitely been tough, by far the most I've ever redrawn on one piece. Put more than 150 hours easily already into this in total I am finally seeing the rewards now that I'm moving onto the next stages though and I think I learned a lot from the struggles

Soooo, I got more feedback and completely redrew it yet again. After repositioning everything, it still just wasnt looking right. And it probably still doesnt quite look like were looking up at her in the way I wanted it to be, but right now I think it's good enough. Im quite happy with myself about how freaking many times Ive redrawn the pose the armor, and everything. Quite content with the direction its taking now, but please critique it harshly, those critiques from other people are the reason it developed so much from the extremely shitty original drawing.

Thanks
    Thought I'd redraw it some more. Took some reference photos of myself this morning and realised I completely drew the legs and feet wrong. Hopefully this has improved it quite a bit. Onto rendering now, I have to say, really enjoying myself. Super struggling with getting the face to look correctly though, especially the eyes. Might have to take some better reference tomorrow again. Also just noticed on this screen the colors are way too saturated, especially in the face.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice! Was it challenging to get a ref photo of yourself from that angle? I imagine a creative workaround was employed!

Thanks
    Zak Coughlan: Thanks man, haha it was actually surprisingly easy, and I got it quite accurately on the first attempt. I used some bread to angle my phone correctly and then I stood on my bed with my foot slightly over the mattress. Worked quite nicely

10 hours on the rendering, mostly spent on the face and hand. I enjoyed myself a lot today, it's just so nice to render. My god by drawing the new face did I see how terrifyingly bad the previous face was, the power of reference! Got some more good feedback and an overpaint on this so really have some good direction, feeling quite good about this piece. Always after that struggle period it just feels so good when you've overcome that and the fact that people say the angle is convincing, makes me very happy. What always scares me though, is now I see how incorrect previous versions of this piece were, but at the time I really thought they were accurate and the proportions etc were accurate. So how can I know if Im not just making the same mistake now, I think it looks pretty cool but maybe its shit I will find out in some weeks, when I've not seen it for a long time then I can tell objectively again.
    Last edited by Dennis van Kessel; 1 Week Ago at 04:33 PM.

Thanks
    Another day of rendering and redrawing. Some people commented on the cropping of the image and that started messing with my brain, so that's been a bit of a struggle to make changes to implement their feedback. Did more rendering then this but I went back to a previous version because I wasnt liking some changes I made, even though I couldnt tell exactly what. I need to re-look with a fresh eye tomorrow.

Thanks
    Well done Sir, maybe u could push the narrative a little bit more by introducing a second character to her side ?! I feel like she is powerful as hell and I imagine standing a little servant (scared) by her side...Also I like the foot over the edge situation and would put some more detail to it by letting some dirt fall into the mine. I apologise for my English. Good fight. Good night. Peace
    the Ink

Thanks
    Inkognito: Thanks, the feet idea was great from you! I dont think I will add a second character, but maybe I will play around with that too. The idea is that she just broke from free from her prison/chains and has her powers back so can call on her crystals.

10 more hours of rendering, still lovin it.

Thanks
    Andddd another 10 hours of rendering, getting closer to the end, I think probably another 10 hours to finish it, not sure about the blurs and rain. Let me know if you like it with rain or prefer without, will work more on the rain to make it look good tomorrow. Also cropped the image because other people mentioned before that the face and body were too small in comparison to the full image. The fact I was constantly uploading a zoomed version and the full picture proved that it was a bit awkward. So cropped it so there is more focus on the actual character.

Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast