Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 895 Posts
    the gurney book has assignments but they're not very accessible I found. too broad with little to help you when you're stuck. also pretty hard to do a lot of them. like go out and paint the night... ha. lol. santa piece is cool. make the teddy a bit bigger so we know the guy in front is a kid.
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Good suggestion about making the bear a little bigger. Maybe make the legs of the kid a tad shorter?

Anyway, this latest piece is AWESOME. Teehee.

Thanks
    That line drawing looks great! In terms of rendering I would start doing a quick overlay in greyscale to get your values correct. Eg make sure you are using a wide range of values, ensure there is contrast at the focal etc. Also ensure that the light sources (eg the fire) has a bright value. Red as a color looks bright but if you convert it to greyscale it's actually dark, the opposite of a light source.

Because the light source is the fire everything will be back lit/rim lighted and a lot of details may be lost as things appear as silhouettes. Since there is a lot of stuff in the drawing, you might to focus the rendering on the centre/focal and leave everything else as lost edges.

Afterwards you can get a picture of Christmas trees and presents that has a color palette that appeals to you and use that to paint. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Ashess: I made the teddy a bit bigger but when I enlarged it more it looked weird and didn't quite look like a stuffed animal anymore. I dont mind the book not having great assignments because I have so much stuff to draw at the moment anyways. As long as I learn something from it

Grumpysaur: Made the kids legs quite a bit shorter, thanks for the advice!

Crankshaft: Here is the already mostly colored version Awkward... Hahaha sorry I already started coloring but I will keep in mind the lighting and I didnt know at all that red appeared dark on a greyscale, I will have to keep that in mind when I start adding shadow after I am completely done with coloring. I might fiddle around with it a bit in greyscale. Thanks!!

Never knew filling lines would be this hard, making all the lines correct behind the linedrawing is taking a long time. But here is the almost fully colored version.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 921 Posts
    That's a nice one Dennis. I like the design of the Santa. This coloring method can be time consuming indeed. I don't know if you're already doing this but it can be sped up by using masks in Photoshop effectively. I'm curious to see the final version.

Thanks
    FantasyArtist: Yes, I thought about it but I colored the whole thing on one layer even though I knew that was a horrible idea, so I cant just make a mask and shade it like per object which would be very easy. But Ill figure it out.

Got another assignment for the strip thought I actually uploaded it yesterday but appareantly I didnt. Still need to put in one dude. And started working on my animation project as an end project for graduation. Making the environment for the intro, the intro will be a completely colored and shaded animation of about 15 seconds to show I could animate with colors and detail but the complete animation will be stylized stick men to make a story without having to spend 5 million hours on it. This picture is basically screenshot from frozen.
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; December 13th, 2014 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks
    Not uploading frequently but there is a good reason for it. I am working really hard on my animation project and it is alot of work for small improvements and uploading videos is too much work Ofcourse I will show it when its finished. But for now here are thing I did for small magazine done and the piece I did for challenge. I am going on a skiing trip for a week so I hope to make alot of progress on my animation in that time and I might have enough to show you then. Happy holidays!

Thanks
    Thank you happy holidays to you too Dennis.
    The Santa pieces looks great. Respect for sticking with the piece, I know how much work went into it. It's shaded very carefully, well done! What's the story behind the Water Damage piece? It looks like it has a really fascinating story behind it haha

Thanks
    The Santa piece looks great. I do think it could use stronger shadows though. Have fun on your skiing trip!

Thanks
    Greg: Well the guy who asked me to do these has a theme set out for me. So the subject is that whatever the drawing describes it has to be impossible. In this case saving whatever place they are from the water, the dude with the glasses thinks its all fine and just sticks his finger in the wall but the other guy has some concerns about it. Same with the dude and the rocket I did before this one

Crankshaft: I had alot of fun, thanks. You are right with the shadows, I got on a book on it now so I will learn!

I havent updated for two weeks but I think I have worked more on drawing these last two weeks than I have ever done in my life I had a lovely skiing trip and christmas as well as new years. All the best wishes to anyone reading this. So I have been working on my animation project about an hour everyday with a peak of seven hours today, this GIF with the wolf took me 5 hours and I still need to fix his wobbly head. Also spend alot of time reading james gurney's books on color and light as well as imaginative realism. Both I have finished and now I started with How to render from Scott Robertson and I ordered his how to draw book as well so when that comes in Ill start with that. Here is the GIF because I really needed to update this!

Animation project coming in 12 days!!!

Thanks
    That wolf gif looks pretty good, Dennis! I like that you included it blinking, it makes it more life-like. I know from experience how difficult and time consuming animation can be. It can also be very rewarding though, thankfully!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 895 Posts
    ouch dennis. pretty good job on the wolf, but still issues yeah. what program are you using to animate? if it's photoshop I might still have my actions that are really handy there...
    hm. no I lost m. should make m again I guess. but you can do it too. it's where you turn your 1/2/3 frame previous and next to the frame you're working on visible, but at a % of opacity and make the ones in front red and behind blue. its really handy for animating. like a lighttable. most animating programs have that option but not photoshop as far as i know...
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    I really love seeing all the lines in your sketches! It's nice to see it side by side with the finished work!

Thanks
    Hunch: Ye its time consuming for sure And I agree the fact that you made something that sort of lives is really rewarding.

Ashess: Photoshop does have union skinning now actually! I did use it but I just couldnt figure out if the head should move or stay relative on same spot on all the frames. It looks alot better now though and I have colored it but you'll have to wait for the full animation to see

kjylee: Glad you like it!

Did the kick animation yesterday and the walk animation today, this is completely from a reference video. This is for another project for school in which we are making a fighter game with our teachers as the fighters.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,536 Posts

I wish you a Happy New year and all the best for the oncoming events, big surprises
    and never foreseen pleasures. On your skiing trip, I hope everything went well, and
    that you didn’t met a huge Yeti kind of creature which eats up small children for
    supper and breakfast. I hope that you didn’t got stuck in an old shack with minus
    lot of degrees outside with a hidden vampire in the attic. Cruel is the faith for those
    who do not consume enough garlic and who don’t carry a wooden stick with them
    selves all the time. A strong unique version of animation master is what you have
    became, I am just seeing how you did all this above, the wolf and the walking
    teacher, will be front kicking Vitor Belfort into the face in no time. All these
    all around actions you are combining suddenly right from the start of this
    year, you know that a bulletproof everlasting vest is what you are sewing
    for yourself. Hold this high colorful spirit of mega shining energy up all the time.

Thanks
    Ltplissken; I wish you all those amazing things too! Thank you so much! Bit dissapointed I didnt see a yeti but apart from that everything went well.

Sea Creature Study.

Edit: It's a Bathynomus giganteus
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; January 8th, 2015 at 08:13 AM.

Thanks
    woo, that kicking teacher looks sick! I really want to see your finished project soon
    Also, whatever sea creature that is, it looks delicious. However, I think it's pretty blurry. If you go over it quickly with a hard brush in places, I'm sure the definition will fall in place. I would use a large-ish brush size with pen pressure opacity and tighten those edges a bit.
    May 2015 be a year of many improvements!

Thanks
    I'm loving the sea creature! What is he? I do agree with BHDH that it could use a few harder edges for definition, but other than that he looks great, and you also captured the atmosphere of the ocean floor really well too

Thanks
    That walk and kicking animation really do look great. I look forward to the fighting game I'm a huge fan of fighting games like Tekken myself.

I have to agree with BHDH that the sea creatures looks epic, but kinda blurry. It's ok to have the back of the creature a bit blurry as a form of depth of field, but that means you do need to have a detail spot. I suggest where the eyes are and the scales around that area?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,536 Posts

Sea creature looks hot and attractive in all the positive way, the depths has
    never felt such beauty and glory. As others stated, some hard edges would
    welcome, especially around the eyes and near focal points. You are harvesting
    the benefits of this winters hot air maximally, and I like that fact, so keep
    up with the great things and stay motivated.

Thanks
    Great sea creature! Like everyone else said it's too soft and blurry. Also it's imbalanced, there's empty space on the left side. The shell is forming a tangent with the foreground on the right side. Liking the simple color palette!

Thanks
    I don't agree with the 'imbalanced' critique. Ever heard of the 70/30 rule maybe? Or simply 'rest areas'? There is indeed a little tangent, but it was a photo study I believe. So the tangent was in the reference?

Thanks
    BDHD: You are completely right about the blurryness I need to put some time into it, I used soft brushes to make it quicker because I didnt have much time. But when I get the time I will make it more hard edged. Thanks

Hunch: Thank you! The background actually suprised me a bit too, I wasnt too happy with the creature but the background I quite liked.

LtPlissken: You and all the other nice people commenting are a big part of what keeps me motivated so thank you! I will fix the hard edges as soon as I get the time.

Crankshaft: I think its forming a tangent because the colors are too close in value and in the actual pictures the difference in color between the rock and the creature is bigger. You are right about the empty space on the left but I actually prefer it alot more than the rocks the picture had. I thought it was a bit busy but now looking again the rocks would have given it a more 3D feel because there would be something in the background which it seems to be lacking now. I will try and see what turns out best when I improve this one! Thanks for th critique !!

Greg: The tangent you guys are talking about I cant quite see but what I think you mean is indeed in the picture but because I made the color difference smaller it might look more like a tangent? I didnt add the rocks on the left because I thought it would make the image very busy and because of the goal of this painting I wanted it to be focussed completely on the creature.

Okay, so the deadline for my end animation project is in exactly 33 hours. First I just wanted to do an animation and a report about how I worked but because I didnt like the animation as much and I learned so much about 3D I wanted to include that too. So today I spend nine hours working on the whole thing and I think I will have to spend another ten tomorrow But you can check out all my animations I did for the project here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyU...6ykxbq4CGlkpFQ

The ending is horribly animated and I dont like the way he reacts to it starting to snow but I really didnt have more time and I already spend 163 hours on the entire project (not just this animation ) whilst only 80 is needed. And most student spend about 40

And I tried to embed the 2D animation but I dont know if this will work. ( it worked )

Last edited by Dennis Kessel; January 10th, 2015 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks
    A tangent has nothing to do with contrast or color. A tangent is were edges are touching eachother that don't necessarily have to.
    So it's a composition thing. In this example it's the butt/tail of the sea creature that is touching the rock, that creates unwanted attention to that area.
    If it's the case that the creature has a tail that continues far behind the rock then it's a different story, but that isn't clear here.

I think you did a great job with the choice of leaving the busy rocks absent. I like the detail level of the background very much, just like you intended to bring the focus to the creature.

The 2D animation, 3D modeling/rigging/rendering looks amazing.I can really see all the effort you put into it, all those countless hours, kudos to you!
    I think I'm your first Youtube subscriber now, and I liked all your awesome vids

Are you planning to continue working with 2d animation/ 3d modeling/animation after this huge project?
    I'm looking forward to that Teacher Fighting game

Thanks
    That animation looks great, Dennis! I can tell a lot of work went into it, and it was definitely worth it. It may be a short piece, but it is very pretty and charming

Thanks
    I really like the animations and the little Christmas illustrations Dennis! The animation studies are very well done but my suggestion would be to stop paying too much attention to neatness and instead worry about learning the movement, the action, the spacing, the timing, and the LIFE. Though I understand why you'd want it to look presentable. I'd really recommend checking out The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams. That thing is a gold mine for me hahah. It talks all about walks, techniques for fast and slow movements, exaggeration, and personality in animation. I'm sure it would add a ton of more life to your animations.
    "What are these barriers that keep people from reaching anywhere near their potential? Fear or laziness?" -Waking life
    Sketchbook
    Deviantart
    Pinterest

Thanks
    To reiterate what was already said, I really love the animation piece Dennis! Good job on that, as well as the sea creature study. Seeing your depiction of the Bathynomus giganteus makes me want to paint it! Keep it up man!

Thanks
    Greg: Ah okay, so the tangent wasnt my fault I really want to get into Zbrush and do some modelling but first need to finish how to draw and how to render, I think I'll use maya to create some cool buildings and see how the perspective works from different views. The book suggest making some things in 3D for grid use and see how it all works.

Hunch: Thanks, I am glad you like it

Uyeno: I will check it out! I agree completely with you, the animation feels very stiff and its basically alot of cycles of the same frames. I was indeed to worried about making it presentable because I thought my whole project would be this animation and then it has to be in full color and shadow etc. But for future animations Ill try to live it up more with simpler forms. Thanks!

Dragning: Yeah its a really cool creature I have to say I will do my best!

Finally got some time to start on the how to draw book, took it with me to school today aswell as my sketchbook so I spend 80 minutes of english class drawing, so this is those excercises and a few I did at home. Also a dragon I drew in physics class after. 6 days till next exam week so I probably wont update for a bit

Thanks
    That are some nice perspective exercises! I look forward how you'll apply them in your work.
    Cool dragon drawing The head of the dragon and the person on top look good.
    The biggest critique on it I could give is that I don't see any joints/structure for the wings.
    You depicted wings as tentacles with a sail haha. Where in fact dragon wings are like bat wings, and bat wings are just arms/hands with veryyy long fingers. Look at this link for the bird and bat wing structure simplified: http://design.tutsplus.com/articles/...--vector-15996

Thanks
    Hey another Dutchie (or is it Dutchy? ). Great sketchbook; creative and diverse, looking forward to see more.
    Sketchbook .....critique appreciated

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast