Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanks for checking out my sketchbook dude.

For your latest portrait of Angelina Jolie, its great you discovered flipping your canvas helps. Could you post up the respective reference photo though? Also, do you know the layout of a face? I think im seeing some mistakes, but i could be wrong. For instance the bottom of the nose should line up to the bottom of your ears, the corners of her lips should have a direct straight line up to meet with the pupils of her eyes. I also do believe you've given her a little too much weight around the jaw.

I recommend that for paintings like your Dark Tower, you have reference on hand rather than drawing from imagination.
    The result will be far superior. This is coming from someone who used to paint a great deal but without fundamentals. For instance using Stalagmites as reference for your spikes will bump up the believability of your piece, looking at the Il Duomo will increase the detail on your tower will make it even better. Those are just examples though. The spikes could just be crystal formations too.

Looking forward to watching your progress dude. Keep up the hard work.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey Dennis. I see some perspective issues with the wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Nymx: Thank you! You can find the image here its the fourth one: http://www.mendaily.com/wp-content/u...ber-2004-1.jpg
    You can see the ears are actually really high I noticed that too and only the left eye kinda matches up with the mouth corner. And yes I should have totally referenced the dark tower piece alot more I actually started a reference page where I had multiple different stone spikes but I just didn't use it. I really should have thanks for pointing that out!

Crankshaft: Thanks would have never noticed that and I need to research the perspective reasons behind that again, they should be a bit better now but for the next version I'll try figure out exactly how it must be.

Linedrawing next stage for the vehicle design and a page of line practice from class today ( it was german class I actually dont have art in school )
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; November 17th, 2014 at 04:07 PM.
    My Sketchbook
    Connect with me on Artstation

Thanks
    I'm liking your tank. All your perspective practice is paying off
    I don't understand the fix you made on the wheel, crankshaft..
    Maybe I should also look a bit more into perspective!
    Line practice sure looks fun.

Thanks
    Hey Dennis, the tank is looking awesome! For elipses in perspective check this linky link: http://www.automotiveillustrations.c...rspective.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Greggy Frost For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    BDHD: The perspective is indeed really helping in my technical drawings

Greg: Thanks, I checked out the link and tried to remember everything, refreshed alot of the theory I have once learned.

TODAY IS THE ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THIS SKETCHBOOK!

Here are some highlights over the year, sort of in order top earlier bot latest. I want to thank everyone so much who has ever posted a comment here or inspired me. I don't think I would have drawn half of what I drew this year without this great website and you all, without this forum maybe I would have never taken art serious enough to decide and study it in the US next year. So much to thank you all for, I truly appreciate all your help and encouragements, I hope to have many more sketchbook anniversaries
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    It's nice to see a summary of the year, and congratulations on the anniversary! I hope to see more sketchbook anniversaries from you too!

Thanks
    Congrats on the anniversary! And thanks for the link I checked out that portfolio-thing. Art Center would definitely be a great place to study.

Thanks
    Hunch: Ye, I think there will be alot more.

Airi Kervinen: I think so too, have you decided on what you are going to study or are you already studying?
    Great piece for the CHOW challenge btw that is going to turn out great!

Joining the Chow challenge again this week for Karidma the queen serpent, here are some choices. Not going to pick but still doubting a bit between two and three, think it is going to be two.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    I think I'm going to go for entertainment design as well. Gonna see if I can study that here in Finland first, if not, I'll have to look into studying abroad. Not studying anything yet, since I'm in high school (soon getting out of there, though!)
    And thanks, I really hope I can finish my CHoW entry in time.

For your CHoW piece, I think no. 2 is the best. 1 is a bit too "generic" when it comes to the pose and overall design. Three's lower body doesn't make me think sea serpent, it looks more like an octopus (and I think it was mentioned in the thread that the lower body had to be snake or eel-like). Number 2 is the best, it conveys a story more than the other ones
    Can't wait to see your finished piece.

Thanks
    Pretty good studies man! You're getting better at controlling your values and color. I'd love to see more stuff from imagination.
    I am Othrandir and Othrandir means me.

E-MAIL : NICKOLAYORDANOV@GMAIL.COM

PORTFOLIO

Twitter

Tumblr

DA

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Congratulations on the 1 year anniversary of this sketchbook, really great to see some of you're earlier highlights from the time I wasn't active yet on ConceptArt.org. I like the helmet/ teacup+apple/car study, well done.

Good to see you're being active in the CHoW challenge, I will participate too when I have some more free time. I like the 3rd design the most because it's the most dynamic and has a nice sense of scale. But as Airi said it needs to be a snake/eel-like lower body. Maybe combine the 2nd and 3rd design? By taking the 2nd design as a base and redrawing her lower body that it's more float-like (like it's underwater) like the 3rd design. Good luck, I'm curious on how the CHoW will develop further. And ofcourse I look forward to your upcomming Sketchbook Anniversaries. I will implement the Sketchbook Anniversary as a tradition too, but my sketchbook is just 2-3 month old so that will be a while for the first one haha.

PS. congratulations on getting to the 10th page of your sketchbook before the anniversary

Thanks
    I like your 2nd and 3rd serpent queen designs, I agree with what's been said before really; the 3rd one has more movement and is more dynamic, but the second one seems more serpent-y and has more of a story. Is there any way to perhaps combine the two ideas? Also, what is Chow? Is that the character of the week thing?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 906 Posts
    Nice work on the Chow Dennis. Once you´ve chosen an idea to refine further remember to use reference to get the most out of your design. And pay attention to give her torso correct proportions. I look froward to see how you will refine her!

Thanks
    Airi Kervinen: Cool, I hope you can find an entertainment study that suites you, let me know if you can find anything I have done alot of research about different entertainment design schools around the globe so if you can't find anything in Finland.

Othrandir: Thank you, these two are from imagination but then again really bad

Greg: Thank you, ye I think I am going to do another five of these at least, as long as it takes for me to be happy with the result. I will try and make the second one a bit floating and mess around with all of them quite a bit. I am really glad I got the tenth page Shouldnt really matter but I am still glad.

Hunch: Chow is indeed the CHaracter Of the Week, I think I fixed the serpenty look on the third design by making all the tails into eels, but need to find a different composition for it or something, doesn't feel as dynamic as I think it could be. Thanks for the feedback hope I can make this piece cool.

Fantasyartist: I am using tons of reference because this is all very new to me, right now I am struggling big time but I think I'll get there.

So this has been quite weird for me, never really rendered a person by just starting to color after the linedrawing. It actually went better than I expected it to but I am still not happy at all with the results, part of it might be that I need to refine them and just detail them more but they just feel awkward. Color is something I am lacking in immensly and need to study more. This whole process is so far out of my comfort zone but I love it because of that, I have spent this entire day ( around 7 hours now ) just trying to get a grip of this and how to just start rendering but somehow I feel like I have learned alot without making any progress. If that makes any sense. I am going to do a whole bunch more of these and refine and detail because I want to do this well and I feel like I am learning a whole lot by failing hard. So here the two drawings I messed around with, I kinda like the zoomed in version of the first one but then hate the zoomed out version. Cant grasp quite what it is with these but I dont like them
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    New design. Will go all technocal on that staircase tomorrow because I am too tired to fix that right now
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    I like the end of the tail in the last one, but I also like the multiple-sea-serpent-head tail. It's insanity somehow appeals to me.
    The couloured designs lack definition. Using harder brushes might be good. I mean, soft brushes are useful and all but they really can make everything too blurry.
    The pose of the first serpentine is really good. I agree with you that the zoomed in version is better. The zoomed out one seems to have a lot of empty space.
    I think staircase lady has potential, but I would adjust the composition a bit. In my opinion, your point of focus- her interaction with the mirror- is a bit too close to the upper edge. It'll be good to see the value masses and get the staircase all perspectively shiny!

It's brave to try a whole new way of working; keep it up man, you're learning and that's what it's all about. Encouraging thumbs up from over here!

Thanks
    I'm loving the new design overall, but agree with BHDH that the focal point is perhaps too close to the top edge of the image. Other than that it's looking good so far, and I'm excited to see how it progresses

Thanks
    Looking great! I think because the focal is on the mermaid that you should crop out some of the staircase/empty space a little, particularly the bottom and right side.

Thanks
    BDHD: Thank you, I tried using a bit more 100% opacity but my color work is horrible.

Hunch: Well not sure if you can call this progress, think it went back in quality instead of forwards.

Crankshaft: I cropped it a bit, I believe

Phi-Line: I messed around with the face alot.

So I colored the CHow, it looks absolutely horrible but this was good because now I know I lack in colors alooooooot. So decided to do a quick 35 min environment study in color and I will do alot more.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Aw! Happy one year anniversary! I didn't realize we both started ours so close together. Glad I was here to witness it from the start. I feel very lucky to be part of that history. Can't wait to see where you will go from here. Onward!

Thanks
    Good job on the color study Dennis. Before you delve into doing environment studies in color, keep in mind that just copying photos will not teach you how color works! The key to achieving great color in your paintings is first learning the basic principles on which color works and then you can do those photo studies to observe how these principles apply in different situations. Otherwise these exercises will just be a waste of time in my opinion.

Also remember that good value design and proper lighting comes first, then you can worry about color. I recommend you to read Creative Illustration by Andrew Loomis , especially the chapters about value and color.

Thanks
    your work in progress for ChoW is not bad, I would suggest to make a more clear sketch when starting out. Also she has the same color as the background, that might be hard to pull off. I would suggest making one of them a different color.

Thanks
    Grumpysaur: Onward we go indeed!

FantasyArtist: I read through that book a bit today and yesterday and there is alot of nice information in there! Thank you.

Sushy: Yeah, I am just awful with color if I am no using a reference image or in an underwater situation like this one so I really need to practice and learn some color theory.

These lasts three days I found it hard to start drawing because I want to get better at using color but I have no idea what kind of practice would be good for that, so I really wanted to draw but when I dont have something clear to what I am going to draw I find it hard to start. So today I decided I really needed to do something so I just did a 90 or so minute glass rendering.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    I think there might be too much soft brush and not quite enough hard brush in the glass, but it's good work nonetheless!
    Remember what you said to Hunch; if it's all a bit much right now, draw something fun, remember to enjoy it

Thanks
    I´m glad to hear you found the book helpful Dennis. As for getting better at color, as I said before, look for material that teaches you the fundamentals of color. The book is one source and I´m sure there are plenty of videos about color theory on YouTube. Don´t let this keep you away from drawing though. You can always still practice line drawing which forms the foundation for the rest. I totally understand that you want to get better at color but just be patient and you´ll get there. Understanding form, lighting and tonal composition is of far more importance to your growth right now.

Thanks
    That glass study looks fantastic! It looks so real! The only flaw I see is maybe darken the table a big more to separate it from the wall?

Thanks
    BDHD: I agree I should have taken a bit more time and more some more hard edges. Haha teaching me a lesson with my own words, well I found a fun challenge so I am drawing!

FantasyArtist: Thank you! I expect to have a book called color and light theory by James Gurney and I will not focus on it badly and still do alot of other things

Crankshaft: I should have yes, although the table is actually dark grey so I should probably have made the wall lighter and the table a bit darker.

3 days since I updated this sketchbook, at the beginning this was normal but now I feel like I betrayed it. I am back and motivated to go hard. I forced myself to draw something yesterday so I just started messing about with photoshop and the first piece came out of that. Now I am working on Jazza´s monthly challenge which is a christmas villian. Really like the linedrawing so far now I need to start with the rendering and I am going to watch some tuts for that first. I dont know I should start shading which I already made a quick start with or first block out just colors and then add value. I hope I will learn this from the videos. Expecting to get color and light theory by James Gurney this weekend and also how to render and how to draw from Scott Robertson. And I got another assignment for a small paper thingy like the one with the astronaut strip so I have alot of work to do all of a sudden. I better get to it!
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 895 Posts
    hey dennis; it is hard, to get better if you do not know where to start... if you want to work on color, I'd suggest getting a photo in which you like the color play and start with just trying to replicate that. just get the basic shapes, and try and copy the colors side by side... its actually harder then you'd expect; and if you're off, you can start with figuring out where you went wrong, and what effect that gets you.
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    ashess: Yeah, I think I am going to do a few of those environment color things and I ordered color and light theory so I will have alot to read about color and light from that book and maybe there are some kinds of assignments in there too.

Finished the linedrawing, this actually took alot longer than I thought it would. Next onto coloring and then shading.

PS: Any tips for the size of the kid, I'm going to mess around with it a bit but right now the christmas tree and the presents are huge too and not just the Robot Santa Claus. But only making Robot Santa big looks horrible.
    My Sketchbook

Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast