Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Don't know why but I feel like messing around a bit with animating, so here is my first wip for a basic walking girl animation. No idea why I went for this "style" or whatever you wanna call it but I kinda like it so I'll stick with it.

EDIT: Finished it but god animating softwares are complicated, lets do this!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; December 21st, 2013 at 12:34 PM.
    My Sketchbook
    Connect with me on Artstation

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hey, animation is fun! I've been meddling with it a bit lately as well. I found a good tutorial on walking cycles on a site called idleworm if you're interested. Yours is already looking like you did a bit of research though. Good job!
    Photoshop can be used just fine for frame animation, open up the timeline window and make loads of layers (for each frame make a new layer of what's changing visible) and you'll get something like the animated stuff in my sketchbook.
    I'm impressed with how much stuff you've already put in your sketchbook. Nice progress, keep going

Thanks
    That animation WIP is looking really sweet =)

I think that one thing your figures are lacking is dynamism. They're stiff. I mean, you're good at copying the poses as they are presented but none of them really say anything. When you're working from reference you should try to capture the essence and meaning of the pose. Also, curves. Here's a little tutorial that helped me out a lot. It might be a little cartoony for your tastes but it applies to every style.
    Shoulder to the wheel, my friend!
    My sketchbook - Harsh critique always welcome!

Thanks
    BDHD: I finished the walking cycle and I tried different animation programs. But I have yet to figure out an easy way to import those photoshop images and to make an animation out of it, I'll check that site out right away!

Dina: I read through the tutorial and I totally understand what you mean, I kinda wanted to become more comfortable with drawing figures before exploring feeling and capturing meaning. But I guess I'm at the point where I should start doing that, so I WILL!

I'm back from a week of snowboarding and skiing and I had a blast, but ofcourse I didn't forget about drawing. I bought the composition and color course from Jason Manley on these forums for 16 dollars and watched 4 hours of composition on my holiday. And I'm working on a colored mountain study. Here is a mountain study I did today.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Helmet Study I did today after watching Jesus Conde's great tutorial on drawing metals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7juWm5srN9g) it took me a good few hours so now it's time to enjoy my last 6 hours of drinking legally ( the age is going to 18 in the Netherlands by tomorrow )So I wish you all a happy new year and I wish you the best in 2014!

First is the study second is the progress.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    I really enjoy the look of both the mountain and the helmet. Nice job.

-Wes-

Thanks
    Thanks Wes,

I've bought perspective lessons from marshallart.com. Because Sycra ( Youtuber ) recommended his perspective lessons to really understand it. And I've been watching these lessons for a few hours the past two days so only doodled a bit and did a few small drawings. But I want to update this with what I'm doing and I want to post a drawing so I made this whilst watching the fifth lesson. Will be updating more often once I'm ready with the course!

Drew this from boxes and simple shapes.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 895 Posts
    hey dennis. wow, only 2 months here and already 7 pages? that's pretty awesome! and yeah, there's definite improvement in those forms. thanks for stopping by at my place. ah, im not sure what to tell you. focus on structure I guess? ah. also, photoshop sucks for animating. there's an old program out there called mirage. it was pretty awesome. not sure it's still out there though.
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    Thanks I'll check it out, I have no clue how to get my cycle animated with photoshop so I'll see if I can find the program.

Ps: its 3 pages
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Cool metal study! I'm always excited by those. It's quite satisfying seeing those come together. You did a great job with the subtleties.

You'll have to let me know how you like those perspective lessons. I just bought a ctrl paint perspective video and I really need to start getting perspective down so I don't feel so limited with my compositions.

Keep up the good work Dennis!

Thanks
    Thanks! And I also bought the ctrl paint perspective lessons like 5 months ago or something. And I learned some things, but far from all. In those videos circles and elipses barely get covered and the time is just to short to teach everything. Theyre good to watch to get the baics down even more I would say, but marshallart's lessons in my opinion go wayyyy more in depth. Hope you find this useful!
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Working on the assignment from the Jason Manley composition class, in the assignment it says you should spend 10 minutes "or more" on them. But what do you think is best. Is 10 minutes better because you really need to divide the painting into different value's quickly, or should I go for perfection. Here are my first 3 in order from shortest to longest time top to bottom. Let me know what you think is best, because I feel that I don't learn as much as I could if I spent 3 hours on each of these to make it as perfect as I can.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    That helmet study looks really impressive! Keep working hard mate

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 895 Posts
    hey dennis, I’m just starting out a tonals myself, but decided to write my way of working. Maybe it’s useful to you? It actually started as a reply to your question, but it got a lil outta hand so I put it with my tonal studies in the workshop subforum. Anyway, I don’t think it’s about the time your spend total, but about the time you spend on the first stages. (step 1,2,3 in my explanation) After that it’s a choice if you want a rough study or get more into details. It might indeed be better not to do long once yet so you can do more at once. The first steps however take me quite a bit of time right now. 30m up to an hour actually.

ps, used grumpysaur's awesome flinter-check on your works there are a few wrong, which I think would mean you have not applied step 2&3 exact enough: getting your extreme values right and extrapolating your field values from those.

Name:  dennis.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  99.0 KB
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    I thanked you already on the subforum but if you read this first: Thanks! I used your technique this time and I did find it very useful, think it worked pretty well. I should have made some darks even darker but I'm always afraid to use 100% darkness because you can't go above that and someone said to never use 100% darkness. I checked once using the filter and then improved the obvious mistakes. This took around 40 minutes. That filter is really handy btw, thanks grumpysaur!
    My Sketchbook

Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast