Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Yeah, I see what you mean by looking at the photo. It was a good attempt, though, and it's nice to see that you put down a decent under-structure. I would offer more advice on this subject, but I'm afraid I don't have much to offer in this subject as I'm still figuring it out myself.

About the painting or drawing from life- yes, set up a mirror. You can control the lighting better and hopefully notice more subtleties in color. You also start getting a better sense for the planes of the face, because you can see how the light changes as you turn or tilt your head while trying to figure out a composition. You get a better sense of texture, shiny/matte areas, how the hair reflects, stubble, etc. Photography can really flatten things out (not always of course, but generally). Anyway, it's something to keep in mind.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanks! I will do a longer one with a mirror but when I saw your reply I immediately messed around a bit so here is just a quick practice, which I'd like to add to the post. Need to get a good mirror though mmmm I check around and hopefully exam period wont keep my from doing a self portrait for to long
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Sketchbook
    Connect with me on Artstation

Thanks
    5 days.... I would have been really dissapointed of myself If I wouldnt have been working hard for school. Exam weeks are just hell. Okay not hell but they're darn annoying. Up at 7 first test at 9-11 another one at 11:30-13:30 and the last from 14:00-16:00. And then its studying for the next day from 5 to 9. hahaha not sure why Im telling you this but I just want to epxlain why I really couldnt post anything here for these days. Its friday so I have only one more test on monday. Thank god! So here is quick value study I did for a beginner's challenge.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Drawing my Character for ART RP which sounds really fun. Its nice to be able to draw again, seen to many books these last days. Not finished but I think its a good idea of how my character is going to look.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Another No specifified time on gestures, once I start doing this I really enjoy it. And with these gestures I really feel I've made improvement which is a great feeling.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Wanted to do another portrait so decided to make a little fan art for Arrow. Great series btw. Here is the portrait and the progress took me a good 4 hours or so I think.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    wouw that fanart looks amazing! Makes me want to add Arrow to my "need to see this" list haha
    what kind of pencil(s) did you use?
    There is something about the eyes though, I can't really put my finger on it. I think they are a little to close, or the pupils are a little to far apart.
    Thanks for posting in my sketchbook, I'll take a look at that book ^^

Thanks
    It's the tear ducts that are a tad too big. The ears are a bit high too. Id even go as far to say that the eyes are a tiiiny bit too high ( being nitpicky ). But the rendering looks great.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,822 Times in 2,536 Posts

Try to capture the gesture and the flow of the figures with one or two lines
    before you go into details on them. Avoid repeating frontal stiff non-dynamic figures
    if possible, cause they are not really attractive and boring overall. I meant that figure
    in post #94. Doing sphere studies for values is a very good idea, try to do more of those.
    The last portrait is looking good, nice values, the eyes are looking a bit strange, maybe
    not enough space between them. Use a mirror to see the flipped version of your traditional
    work. The biggest challenge when drawing a frontal face is to make it relatively symmetrical.
    We all struggle with this one. I saw some digital artists painting one eye of the face, then
    copy/paste/flipping it to the other side. I don’t know is that a good way to go, but I saw
    that version of the solution. Anyway, wish you a Happy New Year and Merry Christmas
    of course. Keep up with the good work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 895 Posts
    I really like the portrait. think it looks great. now that mrko mentioned it, the eyeballs might be a placed a bit too far apart in the sockets.
    as for gestures, I think this is also what plissken meant, but when you do quick gestures, remember the placement of the objects in 3d. especially what goes in front of what. I did a quick copy of one of your gestures. dont think it took more then 2min. but just choosing what goes in front of what and making things overlap goes a long way (I hadnt made a choice in the upper part of the body first, which is why I got in a little trouble near the end.)Name:  dennisk.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  58.1 KB
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    Hey Dennis,

Cool stuff going on here. Netherlands huh, en zo jong gast, talent met hopen.. combineer het met hard werk en ik zie al waar jij zal eindigen in de toekomst.

Aight back to english. If i can give you 1 point of critique it would be to think in the sense of weight. Some of your characters, mainly the ones from imagination seem like they could use some more weight on the supporting foot and so on.

For the rest, your level far exceeds mine (for now ) and those digital works, including the old master studies and the knight's helmet are insane. You're pushing yourself, keep doing that.

Regards from Belgium Vi
    Last edited by Vi L. Vauxgre; January 30th, 2014 at 07:19 AM.

Thanks
    Nice work with the portrait. I guess it could help you if you try to draw some guiding lines lightly on the paper before you draw details of eyes / mouth / nose. It helps to put them correct. In my opinion copying & reversing one eye is not so clever idea. It is good to understand at first the idea or theory of a human symmetry and place things grounded on that idea, but human being is not symmetrical at all. One half of a face is very different than other. One eye is different than other too. So if you want some humanity and likeness to your drawings my advice is: Don't copy & reverse. Vary instead! It could take more time, it is harder to do, but the result is much better.

Thanks
    JadeDiablo: Thanks glad you like it, the eyes as everyone else has pointed our are indeed wonky, I saw this myself but then I already used protective spray and I like to call it done. I think I made the left eye slightly to big and the pupil is to far to the left. BTW You should really check out that book is great!

Mrkolsyrad: Thanks for stopping by, the ears are indeed a bit to high, I checked the reference again and that's true but the tearduts I actually drew to small. Whilst drawing them I realised they were huge. If you search for Stephen Amell Arrow you can see.

LtPlissken: Youre completely right regarding the figures, Ive been told many times about the line of action and that I should improve on that. And I've read alot of things about it and have tried but I guess I should try harder. But I'm drawing these figures from photo so should I exagerrate their pose? So that it is more dynamic? I do alot of shading studies. I think I have around 100 boxes, cilinders, cubes, pyramides and few more complicated stuff in my Math notebook alone. Theyre just all to spread out to share on here. But I do really do alot of those things ( nothing else to do except for talking in school anyway ), thanks for the critique!

Ashess: That's a great paint over I feel like I rushed that pose way to much but I do always have trouble in those intersection points with the breasts the arms and legs. This really helps I'll take a look at it before I do a pose and see if all the intersections are drawn like they are supposed to. Really nice draw over you're the best!

Vi L. Vauxgre: Thanks! I appreciate and like hearing those things ofcourse Youre right on the weight I took a good look at the pose of which ashess did a draw over and it has no sense of weight what so ever. Ashess also pointed that out with the better version. I will keep this in mind when I do poses. That's a great tip!

oosterbe: I did actually draw lightly where the eyes nose etc should go, I improved alot by doing this. But not quite enough I agree with the fact that you shouldnt copy one eye and put it at the spot of the other because no one has 2 perfectly symmetrical eyes as you said. But I think LtPlissken meant it more in the way that you can see how the eye should be placed and use that to better place and draw the other eye. I will use this in the future. Just to see where it should be placed but I do also think it's wrong to just copy and paste. Not even sure that that would have looked right to be honoust.

Thanks to all of you for coming by and giving me advice I really appreciate it.

As a good follow up for the fan art piece I decided to start learning the anatomy and the ins and outs of the human head. I got this great book that was recommended by BDHD and this is what I studied so far. Now all those hours studying come in handy because I've become really good at memorizing things quickly
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Heh, I looked him up. And you're right. Dang, his tear ducts just looks like they're more '' open '' than normal. It may just be a result of photoshop or something, they always go in and change things around in celebrity photos.

Thanks
    That could be true or he really has insanely big tear ducts

Drawing noses because had some trouble making those look good.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    hmm they still look a bit asymmetrical. maybe put in a center-line?
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    Thanks for your visit in my sketchbook!

You are so determined and hardworking (and young!) Keep it up! And my opinion about the portrait: The rendering is really good. I think it looks a little bit strange because his pupils are facing in different directions and both eyes are a tad bit close to each other. But it's more the lazy eye than the distance.

Hope to see more of you soon!

Thanks
    Thanks Vep, ye I wrote a mental note to start studying eyes and I think that will be the next thing I´ll focus on for a bit because I´ve always had trouble drawing the second eye after the first was worked out pretty nicely. I drew the left eye second in the Arrow piece.

Ye youre right ashess not sure why I did that, I´ll draw a center line next time to make it myself a bit more easy.

Here is a horrible drawing which I just did and that I wanted to share. Everywhere on these forums you can read about learning from drawing from life so I thought I should do a bit more of that. And after doing this I realise I need to do ALOT more of this because this is just shit. I´ll blame the verticals on the fact that I drew this whilst sitting on the stairs but it´s just horrible overall so I wanted to post to see how I will progress in drawing things from life.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Not sure what the word for it is in english, so I'll reply in dutch
    De ijzeren latjes van de verwarming doen niet mee met het perspectief, waardoor het lijkt alsof deze plat is. Als je deze aanpast denk ik dat er al iets meer diepte in komt.

back to english. Also the upper line of the boxes in the mirror has some strange perspective going on. They aren't parallel. Then last, the knop on the (verwarming?) also doesn't follow the lines of your perspective.
    I'm no expert, but I hope my comment was helpful! ^^
    Last edited by JadeDiablo; February 7th, 2014 at 05:28 AM.

Thanks
    Ye your completely right, I might have drawn a little bit to much of how I say it and not really keep perspective lines in mind. Drawing the stuff that I saw in the mirror confused me alot The knob is actually out a bit but not as much as this and I drew it way to big

Here is a comic I drew today for a competition for a game called League of Legends if your familiar with games that should probably sound familiar. It's supposed to be funny Not really like the third box but after spending 6 hours on this today I thought I'd leave it like it is.

The title is: Family is important
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Havent spent enough time drawing these last days but I´m starting a huge project. Im in my fifth out of six years of "High School" and this means that all of the students need to come up with an idea and start a project, this project can be almost anything but it must be related in some way to a subject that you have in school and you will need to work on it for a minimum of 80 hours. I choose to make an animation movie ( short ) and after some hesitating messages if it would actually be allowed I got a teacher far enough to say that he will be the one guiding me through the process. You also need to choose a teacher that will help you and give advices etc. I'm really excited about this and I've already spend quite some hours watching tutorials for Maya. I have 10 months for this project so I'm gonna take my time and probably spend more than double the minimum time on this. I will ofcourse put all my work on here and hope for your, like always amazing critiques!
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    hey wow! sounds cool. but you're gonna animate with maya? its a bit complicated and then there's the licence issues. if you want to do 3d why not try out blender? its free at least. or you could use animation studio. that's 2d and a lot easier to masster. not as free, but not as crazy expensive as maya.

Thanks
    Sounds like a great project. I hope you'll be able to post your progress around here.

Thanks
    Maya is really expensive that is true but because I´m a student I can get a free copy which is the full version as long as I dont make money in any sort of way from it. And I wasn´t expecting to do this. I also choose maya because if I decide that I want to study animation they work with maya so I thought that could be nice and yes its also very complicated but I like a big challenge. Been working for 14,5 hours in these days and that just contains constantly working down tutorials and trying to understand how everything works. These are my first quick animations I made whilst figuring out stuff. It was a big challenge getting all the render setting and figuring out how it would actually turn into a video file but I did it. The first one I was just playing with the lightning system and in the second I was trying to understand how cloth and tearing works in Maya and as you can see it´s not perfect because the tearing starts before the ball hits the cloth.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    I don't know one thing about animation or Maya, but those samples look great. Let us know if we can help with any concepts. Exciting stuff, Dennis! You look very capable.

Thanks
    Thanks theyre really just quick animations to learn the program but in a few weeks I hope to actually get started with the animation. The story I came up for now goes as follows: The movie takes place in a forest and all the characters are animals. The main character is a small bird and is still a child. He lives in a tree with a door that he slams open every morning and then he comes whistling outside and enjoying the great life in the forest. So I want him to fly through the forest and then you can see the several animals just having a blast of a time. He has two great friends. One is "not so smart" and is really fat he has trouble flying sometimes. I havent thought out the character of his other friend yet. So you see him come out his door a few mornings happily but on this one morning you can see him slam the door open again with his happy face but then he sees that the whole forest is dark. He flies around and you can see that everyone is worried. Then someone ( I think a turtle or a fox) says that they should ask the wise. The wise was once a great leader of the pack but his parents were brutally murdered ( I think Ill show a clip of his parent getting shot by humans here or maybe later) and then he turned to himself and never talks to other people he lives in the "big tree" and keeps to himself. Theyre discussing this with the whole pack and the turtle or fox asks who is willing to go, there is a long silence and no one responds. Then we see a small wing waving above some people, the people move and there we have our main character. "I'll go" he says like its no big deal. His 2 friends decide to join him to. This is not just a big tree they need to go up its huuuuge tree and it will take a few days to fly up it. And it's really dark so they can't see the top of it. Then you'll see some different images quickly from them flying up the tree like badasses whilst you can see the fat friend fall down and then they quickly help him fly up again. I think I want the fat friend to stay on a branch because he is to tired and this will play a role a bit further in the animation. The next day they reach the top and find the owl sitting on the highest branch. They can tell that he looks really worried and once they walk up to him on the branch they can see why. The sun is stuck. The sun wont come up than just a little bit.

I havent figured out how they will fix this so ideas are always appreciated. I have no idea if this will be the actually story because I have written a few more but for now this one is the best. So let me know what you think or what I should change to make it more interesting. And if anyone feels like it would be fun to draw some of these animals from different angles and would allow me to use that to model I would ofcourse thank you and put you in the end description thing of the movie ( only if you want ofcourse )
    Last edited by Dennis Kessel; February 17th, 2014 at 11:09 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    I like the story. Will this be feasible to accomplish in the time frame allotted, taking into account your other studies? That seems like a lot to animate. . . a whole bunch of creatures, a forest, etc. Have you posted this in the animation section? I'm not sure how I feel about telling the wise owl's back story. It seems like it might be too out of place for a short film. . . but it could work depending on how you did it.

The concepts for the animals seem like it would be right up Minella's alley. You may want to see if she would be interested.

Thanks
    Yes you are right this would take to much time ofcourse my animation quality wouldn't be like disney's But I don't think I can make it look as good as I want it to. So for now I'm just animating and getting into rigging so I can start doing some human anamations and then I might come up with a funny story or something else thats fun or sad that I can create. But for now I'm back to practicing.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    hoo boy dennis, I did a half-year graduation film with the only other thing I had to do my thesis, and this doesn't sound possible in that time-span to me. dont forget you have to model, bone and rig every character, and that's just before animating anything. there's some software that can make a random forest and such, but even that takes time to learn. I did 2d=3d mix, but I know the pl that did 3d maya only ever made films with 1 or 2 characters. because setting up your character takes crazy amounts of time. im not talking about just the modelling. making the bones move the right parts of the mesh, setting up controls that make things workable... all that takes soo much time!

really, really, skin down your story to the bare minimum you need. make it something you can do within 1 minute of animation, max. and definitely less characters, less challenging settings etc.

Thanks
    Yeah I realised that myself to Ill make a simple character and have a fun storyline so that kinda attracts the attention. Here is a model and render of a house I did today to get comfortable with modelling.
    My Sketchbook

Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast