CHOW #340 :: The Baby Sitter from Hell - Page 4

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Blindlynx I just noticed I repeated what you said, sorry!

Here are a couple of ideas I had. Well the one on the left was my idea, the one on the right went a bit crazy but thought I'd still post the "baby eating demon from hell" babysitter. I think the first one has potential but not sure if I am going to bother.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Attachment 1866372 just a quick 20 min sketch

Last edited by andartarius; November 28th, 2013 at 07:18 AM.

Thanks
    Damascus Elm: No backgrounds. You aren't here to create a scene or illustration. All we need to see is the babysitter.

Glamouria: Use reference, especially if you don't know anatomy. Even if you do know anatomy, use reference.

flying higher: Use reference. Even anime/manga style has more or less correct anatomy (except the head).

Dryshave: Welcome back! good stuff so far.

Jeremy Hoffman: Love it! The style reminds me of HIM from powerpuff girls.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

Visit my website for additional info. www.mjdstudios.com
    “If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Thanks Havok Reed!

Still not sure if I really fixed the neck properly yet as BlindLynx pointed out, but I saw I had the wrong side activated and flipped them. Is it better now?

Also finished the legs and swept through with other touches. Done unless there's little things I spot that need fixing... ugh probably those legs! With 3 days I might do minor coloring, but I'm satisfied submitting it b/w.

Great work and interesting ideas everywhere else in here too! Looking forward to seeing the final results!

Name:  Dryshave_BabySitterfromHell_WIP_Final.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  202.4 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok Reed View Post
    flying higher: Use reference. Even anime/manga style has more or less correct anatomy (except the head).
    Well, I did anatomy studies for about 15-30 minutes before beginning it and used a wooden mannequin for the pose. I'll give it another try before the deadline.

Thanks
    Hey everyone,
    My first post!
    Name:  sitter from hell 1000px.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  350.0 KB
    Quick sketch, hope I can do something more complete by sunday.

Thanks
    lol. maybe I should work on my own thing instead of just critiquing others. whatever.

@dryshave: the pivotal point between neck and head lies on the line between the base (lowest part, let's say earlobe) of the ears. the structure of the head is a bit unclear too, but you'll notice that it doesnt quite add up in what I've drawn. also, it's too long.
    in other points, your left upper arm does not seem to be foreshortened, and yet it is a lot shorter then the right. also, take a look at the hips.
    still thing's got great character despite such faults. I bet it'd be amazing if you could fix those.

Name:  dryshave.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  71.4 KB

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Line art Wip of my babysitter from hell
    i was thinking of her as the annoying crafty hippie lady from church, parent's think she's cooky and fun but kids can't stand someone so eccentric and... weird...

Name:  WIP babysitter from hell.png
Views: 211
Size:  173.6 KB

Thanks
    Wow Ashess! Thanks for the critique!

For the head and neck if I'm understanding you right here... I should adjust the face to a slightly more clockwise angle and drop the whole head down a bit. I'm thinking to clear up the structural clarity if I added pointy ears jutting out perpendicularly that might help play up structural landmarks and line things up.

I'm slightly confused about the arms thing though. The one on our right her left isnt long enough? while the our left her right is too long?

The hip adjustments I see exactly where you're going with that and I knew something was wonky with them for sure, but having the extra eyes certainly helps!

I'll do my best to adjust these errors for the final submission! In the meantime with it being thanks giving today I can say I am certainly thankful for awesome critiques!

Thanks again Ashess! Also Happy Thanks Giving to anyone else celebrating it today!

Thanks
    your very welcome dry,
    aah, and sorry the 'too long' text was meant for the neck. I think her right is actually the right size. the left you could also put in perspective; then the size would work. but that might play hazards with the lower arm and hand holding the teddy.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Working on the colors...
    Name:  jeremy_hoffman_chow#340_color_wip4.png
Views: 219
Size:  614.9 KB

http://jhahoffman.blogspot.nl/

Keep on swimming...

Thanks
    An update on mine, redrawn, fixes and some photoshop adjustments. If I'm around at the weekend I might work on it but trying to stay away from digital and focusing on construction. Great feedback Ashess btw

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Hi! This is my first time posting on these forums, so I decided to start with CHOW!
    This is my baby sitter from hell sketch!
    Hope you like it! any feedback is really appreciated

Name:  este1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  109.5 KB

Thanks
    Havok: I used a reference for the lower body and half of the upper body but I can't seem to get it right. Guess I need to do some anatomy studies later.

Here's WIP #2.

Attachment 1866655

Thanks
    Dayle: I'd like to see you push yourself further with more clothing. Not entirely sure what is going on in the image.

Glamouria: It doesn't look right because you lack the fundamental knowledge of anatomy all together. You need to do more than just a little bit of studying anatomy, you gotta spend a thousands of hours on it. Only then will you learn how to construct the body. It is very important to know how to draw the nude figure first. It's very hard work, and I myself still study it every day. But it's those hours and years that I have put into it that allow me to understand it. I highly recommend picking up Andrew Loomis's Figure Drawing for all it's Worth and/or Christopher Hart's Cutting Edge Anatomy for a more stylized approach. If this is your passion and is something you wish to pursue, then study your butt off! if you celebrate Christmas, ask for these books! They can be found on Amazon.

This goes for anyone who is starting out or only have little experience. These books need to be your bibles!

Last edited by Havok Reed; November 29th, 2013 at 12:15 AM.
    !!SKETCHBOOK!!

“If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Name:  Babysitter CHOW Sketch 001.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  119.8 KB

New try, applying some techniques I'm learning. I'm probably going to be months getting up to an intermediate level.

Thanks
    following up from the idea of only seeing the shitty evil side in the shadow.

Thanks
    Havok: Yes sir, will do! Gonna look up the books ASAP.

Somehow my WIP 2 didn't show up last post, so here we go again.

Name:  babysitte2r.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  173.8 KB

Thanks
    Getting there, still a way to go yet. (Still have to do the eyes.)

BlindLynx: I can't seem to find the previous winner you mentioned with the door, maybe I was scrolling through them a bit too quickly.

Glamouria: Try getting someone to pose for you, or look in a mirror and copy yourself. People have suggested the same thing to me in this thread and it definitely works.

Ashess: The horns sort of wrap around her head, and she is looking a bit strange without ears, I will have to add some.

Still not sure on the green or red fire...

Name:  Bfrom hell5.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  194.7 KB

Thanks
    Hey guys! I've been busy so I couldn't post these days but I've been checking some of your work.

I don't consider myself an artist who can do a good review, but I'll dare to comment on other WIPs with my opinion as any other spectator. Here we go:

@anew.rafa:
    I like your "geeky" babysitter who turns into a wicked girl, and how you represent the horns with the hood, quite original. Nice style, nothing to criticize. I like that Koopa backpack, I would like to see some colors :P

@Monika Gruzka: Good choice with those creepy horns coming out of her eyes and that vampiric touch. Just watch out with some of the proportions, like the length of her arms and torso. I would make the wings a little bit bigger. Thanks for your comment too! :P

@Noun:
    I'm impressed with the amount of ideas that came out of your head, seem limitless and they are all good. Some remind me of Mary Poppins, so I can easily identify the role of the character. But the girl with braces is still my favorite. I agree with BlyndLynx and Monica, that you should focus on that concept and her machinery of evil :P

@greyskill: It's great! very cute but also has that wicked little face, awesome! The typical innocent girl who convinces parents that everything will be fine and then turns to be really mean with the kids. Who would not hire her? she's so cute :3

@W!L: Another girl who any parent would hire, looks pretty serious and responsible, but with a dark side ... very good!

@stinkypanda: I liked the fact that you've been one of the few who chose a man as a babysitter and didn't turn him into an abusive man, but clumsy and irresponsible man. Just try to add some detail that can idenfity him as a babysitter. ^^

@Jeremy Hoffman: Amazing illustration! I love your style, but still the first thought that comes to my head is an evil stepmother and not a babysitter. I have that same issue of how to solve the character so everyone can identify her at first glance.

@DryShave:
    I like that in your concept the irresponsable ones are both the babysitter and the parents. Because no parents in their sane mind would hire a woman who seems to lead a vicious life. Ashe made a nice paintover, can't wait to see a final.

@andartarius: She doesn't looks so evil, but cool, maybe she's taking the kids in a peacefull way to the dark side, which would be nice and different :P

@Harmz: I like the way you hid her horns with that hairstyle. Good pose, I hope you keep developing her and see it in the finals =)

@fireblade:
    Nice job with the lights to show both of her faces at the same time, amazing. Just add an accessory or a detail to show she's a babysitter and not just a woman with an evil side IMO. Nothing to criticize, you're one of my favourite artists =)

@Glamouria: Pretty solid babysitter concept. Just work a little with the proportions and pose to make it look more relaxed and natural, mostly hands and fabric =)

Sorry if I miss someone, my poor english makes this harder! (google's translate app hates me :P)

Ok, here's my progress:

I fixed her, and she looks much better (thanks a lot Krasgar!), but then I decided that her horns were too obvious, so I changed her hairstyle, and added some details like a bag where she stores all the toys and house phone.

Name:  Babysitterb.png
Views: 169
Size:  372.6 KB

Some quick colors here, just testing stuff... I'm not sure about those values.

Name:  Babysitterd.png
Views: 172
Size:  255.4 KB

I tried to add a torn "babysitter's notes" paper on the floor. It still needs a lot of work and rendering, any suggestions and critique are welcome! =)

Thanks
    here's my under painting before i give the final colors

i decided to give her knitting needles instead, and am still debating whether i want to add the knitted scarf or not, i'll think it over

Name:  WIP babysitter from hell 2.png
Views: 152
Size:  174.9 KB

Thanks
    @dayle- thanks. yours is looking sharp btw. the infant seems a bit too small. but maybe that's intentional? to make the woman appear giant.

@moirae- ah, I see now. wither you do ears or not, you might want to make the horns broader at the base that might read easier. I'd go for red b/c of your overall color scheme.

here/s mine.
    worked on the deltoids too long to be sure I've got m now. thinking of slapping on some gardening pants. than it'd be passable as an entry I think?

Name:  chow340c.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  44.0 KB

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    fireblade
    Your character is looking wonderful. It certainly does bring emphasis to the fact that things are not as they are perceived, and does a good job of expressing what the parents would see.

mongrelcat
    The values do look a little bit off, but I'm not sure I can put a definitive finger on it. I do think the old lady looks better without the horns, though I'm not sure if seeing them in the shadows would be enough for the entry.

Second drawing is now inked. I'll worry about apply the tones and values tonight and tomorrow.
    Name:  Babysitter CHOW Ink 001.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  159.5 KB

Thanks
    Really nice concepts so far!!!! Just wow ^^
    Anyway I'm gonna give it a shot since I really need the practice, and of course because it's fun ^^
    Just realized her right arm is a bit too long (right?), but will fix that.Also shoes and feet, , don't like them...

Thanks
    KendoGrandon

I would rework the tongue if you have the ability to so. It looks a bit since it goes from "narrow strip" to "wide tongue" while doing the whole forked tongue thing as well. Otherwise it is look very good.

Thanks
    working on the colors...
    Name:  jeremy_hoffman_chow#340_wip4.png
Views: 128
Size:  316.0 KB

Keep on swimming...

Thanks
    Jeremy Hoffman: Are you using a program that supports Auto Symmetry or are you continually mirroring it?

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

― Michelangelo

Thanks
    @Moirae: Really dig the colors you choose, and the red fire is my vote instead of the green. The pattern on the shirt also looks great. Something about the volume of the fire/hair keeps distracting me though. The depiction of the flames is awesome, but I think the bright values directly around her head are what's making me do double takes, mainly on her heads lower right side.

Name:  Fire Hair.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  148.8 KB

@Mongrelcat: The shading you've done is terrific. It looks like you drawn her in pencil and colored her digitally. I've been trying to do more of the same, traditional drawings colored in photoshop, but my scans come in super grainy. Is there a particular way you transfer your images to your comp?

@Harmz: The hair is awesome!...eery in it's own right and understandable as horns. Love the expression on the face too. It's not quite clear to me what's draping around her right leg though, it looks to me like it could be a ponytail.

@KendoGrandon: The voodoo dolls of the children hanging from her wrist are a nice touch.

Name:  Babysitter.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  132.9 KB

Originally wanted the character to be made of insects covered up with clothing, hiding them. Moved away from that, but liked the idea of a disguise, so I'm playing with different masks now. Wanted the blood on her hands to look like it could almost be an extension of her vest. Still having trouble coming up with definable "babysitter" cues rather than things that just say "grandmother" and such.

Also, I'm a new user and the forum rules say to use an external host for uploading images, but the CHOW guidelines specify uploading images directly to the thread. Is there a best practice for displaying images?

Thanks
    Alright I did some fixes here - should be everything that was suggested so far.

Lowered the head to shorten the neck and also shifted it to the left to line up better with the muscle points.

Slapped on some ears to help aim the head and show a bit more structure through all that hair.

Lowered our left her right knee to match up better with pelvic tilt - raised the other slightly to follow suit.

Extended our right her left upper arm/elbow and tilted the forearm accordingly.

Name:  Dryshave_Babysitterfromhell_Final_WIP.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  222.0 KB

Thanks
    Havok Reed: Hi, I only use photoshop. For this design I'm mirroring the artwork from the center(but only after I painted one half) and once in a while I check it manual how it looks. Most mirroring happens in my head.

Keep on swimming...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7