Sketchbook: Dusty's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Dusty's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dusty's Sketchbook

It has been a journey for me as an artist with ups and downs. I'm in my 30's, have been drawing all my life and consider myself an artist. Started drawing digitally about 6 years ago.

I have not improved very much in terms of technique for 10 years now and this has been bothering me. Art is a hobby to me and I've been putting it on the back burner all these years, trying to find my calling, trying out different professions, etc. Well, I finally found my dream and who I want to be when I grow up, and it's not art related, but isn't any less inspiring or fulfilling to me.

Now that choosing a profession is out of the way, I decided to dedicate some of my time to addressing some dire art needs that my muse has been complaining about all these years. I should probably draw my muse one of these days, she's quite a character.

Facts: never been to an art school of any sort, only took one class in oil painting. I LOVE drawing! Especially I love textures, shiny things, portraits, subtle expressions, interesting lighting conditions. As a result I'm really good at doing some things and especially bad at others. I'm still a bit shaky on gesture and figure. My worst "enemy" (I think of it as a challenge though) is color balance and composition, and balance in general. I'm extremely detail-oriented and as a result fail to see the big picture and my overall composition suffers.

I have NO idea whatsoever how to practice the best way possible. I see people doing anatomy studies, but I've done a million sketches of people in color and monochrome in various positions in the past and I have a general idea of how the body works and operates.

So I decided to practice the way I know it and have fun while at it! For now I'm starting a giant movie reference project. I'm picking movies I think would be a great practice to me and be fun to draw. I'm starting with the good ol' miz Cleo. Classical setting plus classical movie equals classical poses, lush clothing, bright lighting, and most importantly full body poses. Modern movies have a tendency of only showing the characters from the waist up which is problematic for figure drawing practice.

I found some Loomis books per suggestions here and will check them out in the mean time.

My ultimate goal and dream as an artist, which I must reach lest my dear Muse ridicule and hate me completely, is to be able to draw whatever I want. I do not have any ambition to work for game industry or the like, because I already have a dream job waiting for me. I guess you can say fine art is my goal with maybe some freelance and illustration here and there for fun.

tl;dr
    blah blah blah blah dusty's sketches.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's miz Cleo. Ain't she fun?

Corel Painter X, Digital Airbrush, Wacom Intuos 4 + a fancy nib, 50% magnification.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!
    You should post some more pictures! It's hard to get a feel of your art from just one photo
    But the pose and the drawing is very nice, what I would like to see is more sharpness and more secure lines. It's something I used to do all the time while doing digital, blend things all together. Trying out with different lighting can also be helpful, sometimes it's easier to do dramatic lighting rather than a soft one.
    I haven't done much digital painting since I started art school but I often find it easier to start with the middle tones and then work the light and dark from that.
    Keep it up and post some more

Does the walker choose the path or the path choose the walker?

Sketchbook

Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey and welcome!
    Nice start to your sketchbook . Looking forward to more, and good luck!

SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."

Members who have read this thread: 8