Sketchbook: CountB's Journey to a Rad Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: CountB's Journey to a Rad Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CountB's Journey to a Rad Sketchbook

What's up CA? To provide some background, I'm 22 years old and I've been drawing on and off since I was really young. Well, more off than on, but recently I've become passionate again. I've mostly just doodled or did line-work but I really feel my "for fun" art has long become stagnant and it's time I learn the fundamentals.

That's where this sketchbook comes in to play, and you, the community. I'm open to and welcome any advice or critiques, however harsh. Seriously. Thanks for reading and looking.

I guess I'll start this bad boy off with a picture dump. This is all fairly recent except the last two. Those figures are copied straight from Loomis's book and I feel like I took way too long to draw them. Measuring and getting proportions right seems so laborious but I know I need to become familiar with it. Where should I head in my studies? I have a wood block, egg, and sphere and plan on doing a lot of drawings of them with different lighting.

Attached Images Attached Images                          
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's so hard for me to draw when I know it looks like shit. I have trouble seeing slight differences in value and I can't draw proportionately to save my life. I try using the pencil sight method to measure and end up spending way too much time drawing out a shape that looks nothing like the one in front of me. My doodles are still fun at least.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did gestures for the first time today and had a good time. Some of the poses on pose maniacs are pretty hard but I tried my best. Here's some 30 second, 45 second, and 1 minute gestures and a little doodle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was reading on here that drawing your hand is a really good exercise to do so I think I'm gonna do it twice a week. Kind of curious to how long something like this should take. This is pretty rough and it still look me around 25 minutes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did an hour of 60 second gestures today. Here's a page of them. Was having trouble finishing them today for some reason. Gonna make a commitment of posting in here everyday for two weeks so that I get in the habit of drawing everyday

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some more gestures but used pixel lovely instead of posemaniacs. I also saw some talk about holding the pencil differently than you would to write and try to use your arm to draw so I tried it out, but they turned out a little light. Drew my hand again. And those two figures on the hand page are from my imagination. Pretty pleased with those to be honest. Well, off to linear algebra homework.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking at these other sketchbooks makes me feel like I'm posting trash, but I'm gonna keep doing it regularly because this is the most consistent I've been with drawing for a long time. Did a few hand drawings today and an eye study off of a tutorial instead of homework haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi CountB it seems like you've made a good start to me. I can relate to some of the things you've written; I've only just realised I need to learn the fundamentals of drawing, since all I've ever done is doodle really. And yeah I get disheartened too if I'm in the middle of a drawing and I know it's not very good. So long as we keep drawing it doesn't matter

Maybe you've seen this already but have a look at Proko's youtube channel if not, his gesture vids are good and fun to watch. He's got vids on other topics too but I've haven't watched them yet, I think they're all on fundamental things tho.

I like the contrast in that last hand, keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kevin Chens figure drawings have helped me tremendously in the past.

Also do studies from bridgemans book constructive anatomy, it will help you get the blocky forms of the body down. Try focusing on getting proportions right before tackling values. Do pages and pages of hands, faces, legs, and anything else you know is a weak point. Anyways, great sketchbook thus far. I have also just started fundamentals again, it helps to do them from to time to time to really beat the ideas into your head lol. Keep at it, can't wait to take part in the viewing of your artistic journey

Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

Eric needs to DRAW DRAW DRAW

Do not Click DETONATE Do not Click

Deviantart page

Gotta sketchem all blog

Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was busy finishing a c++ program for a class the past few days so I haven't drawn much. Felt like doing a doodle thing tonight.

adyM: Hey, thanks for dropping by! I haven't heard of that channel but I'll definitely check it out, cheers.

palladium: I'm not sure where I was supposed to go from the link, but I googled his name and found his figure drawing thread here. Looks like a good source to learn from definitely. I'll check Bridgeman too, thanks! And yeah that seems like a good idea to focus on proportions first. I checked out your sketchbook (which is very nice by the way) and saw your hand studies so I'm gonna try to replicate that.

Thanksgiving break and winter break coming up, so lots of drawing in my future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blah blah blah, insert excuse here, blah blah. Haven't been drawing as much as I should but I've been working to use my time more wisely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Recent fun stuff. Need to do more still life. MORE practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I should probably do simpler objects than the skull. Planning to add value to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start to the sketchbook brother. You have nice designs in your work of which you will no doubt develope into something really unique.
    Don't worry about proportions and taking too long, you'll find you get more accurate and faster the more you practice. Life drawing is the best teacher, learning to observe and anaylize what's in front of you. Look at the lights, darks, big shapes, details etc. If you want to invent figures, Michael Hamptons 'Design and Invention' book helped me a lot. Just keep practicing and it'll all come together

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bri in the sky: Thanks for the comments and advice! I really do appreciate it. Life drawing definitely does seem like the best teacher, each time I draw a object I feel like I notice a hundred new things I should be doing haha. I will definitely check that book out, looks great and has 5 stars on Amazon. Thanks!

The skull turned out very grey. I need to work on looking for the bigger shapes like the advice above said.

Members who have read this thread: 14