I'd like some feedback on these
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I'd like some feedback on these

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'd like some feedback on these

Hey guys, these are the last paintings i've done, i'd like to know your point of view, what you people think i need to improve, everything-wise.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the rays of light are not working on the landscape one, the trees are looking like they are projecting death rays onto the grass. I'm pretty sure there's no way you'd see the beams of light against such a bright blue sky. You're going to have to do some research on that one.

I'm not sure what the character one is all about, if i were to guess it looks like you're meeting some bad dude in a mine shaft. First of all, the intense highlights on the feet are drawing all the attention in this image, you probably want the focus to be on the head or hands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the landscape the only way you would see rays of light like that would be if there was some kind of fog, mist or smog hanging in the air. The reason you see rays of light like that is because the particles in the air diffuse the light so there needs to be some kind of atmosphere for a phenomenon like that to exist. The setting for your landscape is a bright, hot, sunny day so the only light tricks might be heat waves or something.
    Another suggestion would be to add a nice backdrop to a scene like your landscape, you have a flat horizon that stretches on forever, you might wanna try mixing it up and add some mountains or structures, that way you could even add mist or a kind of atmospheric fog, it might give your piece more depth. I see you may have already tried adding some kind of atmospheric fog by lowering the opacity of the trees that are further away, their opacity wouldn't decrease if they were further away, they would lose detail due to the distance and the colours would be slightly desaturated, also because of distance.
    Lastly I would say you might want to try refining your forms more, your trees have the same level of detail all the way back, this goes back to my last point, things closer to you have more detail, things further away have less detail. I can see this in the grass you have, which looks to me like a photo texture, nothing wrong with photo textures just make sure your brush can keep up.

Moving on to the character, I like the spooky mask theme, reminds me of Batman Begins Scarecrow. Anyway, I see you have given him very defined muscles (very low body fat), so you can see all sinews, veins, etc. However the formation of his muscles isn't accurate to real anatomy i would recommend studying up on muscle structure, there are heaps of videos i have found helpful on the subject on youtube (get back to me if you want some links maybe??).
    Secondly i would say you wanna bring him out from the background more, make the piece about your character because all the white spots glittering around him draw the attention away. Although the white eyes tend to bring you back a bit.
    Last thing you wanna be careful with your shadows because the shadows cast by the forearms cut your dude in half which is unfortunate.

I hope this was helpful, keep at it man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, the light rays were pretty immature i guess, i'll take in consideration what you people mentioned about atmosphere and stuff losing detail, it really makes sense.

And Batzz, yes, i'd like the link to the videos you mentioned!
    Also, thanks for telling me about adding a backdrop, i felt like something was off about the painting, now that i consider, i guess that was it!

You both were really helpful!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all there is this website which you could easily spend hours looking at how muscles interact and form around bone: www.zygotebody.com

Sadly the arm muscle video i was going to link got deleted or something, it wont show up in my watch history, sorry. But just go ahead and search "human muscle anatomy" in youtube, and get specific, try looking for lower arm muscles, or shoulder muscles coz a lot of the time the videos skim over with names of muscles bt try find out the origin of the muscles (insertion on the bone) and the function.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey
    I want to say some stuff about the first character image. You imply the light source but I don't feel it applies to his frame properly, which creates this feeling of flatness, so you lose a sense of value. It's also unclear what are the bright things around – should they emit or maybe reflect light? would they be in the shadow completely? So basically I feel lightning is the most crucial thing.
    Another point that I feel is very important maybe even more than the previous one, the silhouette of this guy is essentially a big square on legs. Not that adventurous in the first place, but even then because you have very dark background and very dark base shade for most him, his silhouette merges with the background and it ruins the illusion of depth even more. Now you just kinda have two floating arms and two spots for shoes that drag the viewer to themselves immediately skipping the whole body. I feel this should be fixed by either having a more obvious contrast between the background and the character to separate them, or if you are going to drench him in the shadow because that's the mood you're going for you'll want to do some good hard dramatic lighting work to create that contrast and delicately create form with the light that does touch the character. What comes to mind immediately is some work of David Rapoza, he's really good at that sort of stuff.

Don't have much to say about the landscape, I feel others will say more, except maybe try to paint this kind of thing in black and white successfully first.
    That's all I got. Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 38