CHOW#339 :: Queen of the Viking Pageant - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: CHOW#339 :: Queen of the Viking Pageant

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dread Reaper for feedback. I didn't mean to put any hunting/war sense on this peagent, but I'm hard reconsiderating the fact.
    @Frozen: Thankx! I was near to think this was a kind of Eden, thank to bring me back with my feet on earth! =) Well, I'm one of that 8 dude had get no votes. My oni was very good for me, but I can understand why people voted 4 Ded, PieMonster or Z01ks. Maybe you could argumet that Aeronik didn't nailed the theme, especially on HORROR, but the poll, is there just as a mirror. Probably a mirror reflecting how much we encounter people's tastes. But after all, to work in popular concept design is right about this. I just wanna tell you this, just buckle down, get off the comfort zone as everybody here (dude, I'have a wacom by 1 month!) and work something out of your brain and hands, and heart. And... I got 3rd at the first poll I partecipated here. Thare are no tricks, exept people taste (at thats a trick you can't avoid luckly! =D)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

W!L is offline Level Up - All Access Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is pretty much done... my viking pageant queen. the woman from around the lands hold an anual pageant to find the most beautiful woman. The queen of the pageant is the greatest prize to the most heroic warrior in the land (and makes the men fight that much harder to in this prize ). She holds a horn of plenty representing the treasures that await the brave warrior.

crits welcome
    Name:  vik-wip-4.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  253.0 KB

Last edited by W!L; November 12th, 2013 at 02:20 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    armando that is really cool sketch. she has so much character. love it. go with that.

Aissa78 - cool. looks like the queen of the viking pageant to me.

elmasfeo nice design. i like the wolf shoulder guards. why is she stuck in ice? i would use a reference for the face... the eyes are wrong they would not look like that in profile. google a face in profile and you will see.

pixelslayer - she looks like one cool customer. sipping a drink after owning that bear. nice painting, shame your not entering final with it.

dirksteele - yeah no 1 looks great. cant wait to see more.

Yurishka - i like the layout and pose. does the queen get a raven as a prize or something ? the actual painting is looking very flat. dont be afraid to use more contrast and bring out the forms more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've done a few sittings on this pic, but haven't had the chance to post. I painted in greyscale first, like I did with ONI, but I've actually had time to slap some colour onto it this time! Still got a long way to go though.
    Back before all the QQ, there was a comment that Viking women likely weren't warriors. Okay, so maybe I'll skip the idea of having her dragging the head of a slain soldier, and replace it with a slaughtered goat. Gotta love a woman who isn't so squeamish as to bring a good meal of meat to the table, eh? ;D

Name:  CHOW-339-VIKING-02.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  75.1 KB

Will give feedback for everyone later! Seein some rockin entries so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff guys! Here's my current wip, might be straying a bit far from character design with this. Crits much appreciated!

Attachment 1858202

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks dudes! Appreciate the comments. I kinda regret not going with one of these more out of the box ideas, some cool interpretations.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PieMonster - You rock, big time!

Pxelslayer - Please post in the final @.@

Havok - I'm going to keep going with this one as I am trying something other than a generic pose, she does need a chair though! If that's not allowed fine but I still want to post my progress. Next time I will not do any backgrounds.

Update.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    modified the back ground. please let me keep just this little window =)
    My wife said this girl seems to have big stomach instead be pregnant... I'm tired to judge it properly. Need feedback =) Btw, if is not a baby, could be a bunch of beer she drunk cooking the pork... At least she is a viking =). gotta go sleep =)

Some one of you guys (too tired I cant rememeber now, sorry) told me to make her like she hunted the pork. Well, hunt was only for males too. But I gave her a child (hope characters inside others doesn't invalid the challange), and a bloody apron, that suggest she killed the pork, or at least she cleaned its guts etc... At this exactly point I got kinda mind flash and I'd like to make this work, the same but looking more adult, and with a real portrait for face... Wow. DUnno If I will find time, I'm in 3 challange this week! Will see...

Name:  vik02.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  326.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The whole reason that backgrounds are not permitted is because of 2 reasons. First, is that in the real world, character artists dont do back grounds. Second, it really forces the less experienced artists to focus on the design rather than an entire image. I have already seen some artists make really great looking things in here when they aren't worrying about a background.

Ok guys, let me clarify the rules of the No Background rule so that you may all rest easy on this.

What you should not do:
    Elaborate environments or scenes.

What you CAN do:
    Simple shapes
    Silhouettes
    Gradients
    Light sources

Dayle: The chair is fine mate. It's part of the pose. I'm glad to see you really pushing yourself with this one. This is one of the reasons why I wanted to ditch backgrounds. This is definitely one of your better pieces so far. Just get a good reference for those hands of hers. Push the design, keep up the good work.

BlindLynx: I got the pregnant part from her. But I can see how your wife might see her as fat. Get a good reference photo for this one, just to make sure you got it right. And yes, the window is perfectly fine.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

Visit my website for additional info. www.mjdstudios.com
    “If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the base colors, next is to render out the lines and make it look real.
    Name:  Viking Queen Base Colors.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  245.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AlyssaCrow - She is looking sexy. like the idea of her bringning some game home to cook. love what she is wearing.

Luneder - i am liking it as is.. why do a really detailed line art if your going to get rid of the lines?

blindlynx - i like it. she does look pregnant to me. and very pretty.

Dayle - i like it. the chair should be fine. she cant be floating in mid air.

changed her hair. trying to tidy up. feel like i am just moving colour around and not getting anywhere

Name:  vik-wip-5.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  337.2 KB think i am done. any suggestions welcome.Name:  vik-wip-66.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  328.5 KB

Last edited by W!L; November 12th, 2013 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    W!l - looks good, only suggestion would be to get reference of a tusk or something to further detail / render the horn, it looks a bit smudged and distracts from the Queen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's where I am at the minute - next on the list is to push my values and do something with that staff. Any other suggestions, folks?

Name:  Viking Queen 3.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  141.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tip, W!L, you are completely right! ...about yours, I liked the previous hair more, this one looks a bit like another horn and not like coming out of her head... great style btw, love your use of colors

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayle View Post
    W!l - looks good, only suggestion would be to get reference of a tusk or something to further detail / render the horn, it looks a bit smudged and distracts from the Queen.
    Your right but I think I am done with it now. Fell out of love with it after working on it for so long. Always happens in digital. Feels like it goes worse the more I do. Or maybe I haven't got the skill to progress into detailing without messing it up... I would rather spend my time life drawing and getting better than continue on this image. So I am done with it.

Elmasfeo - glad I could help. Ty for the tip. You might be right but I like it more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by W!L View Post
    Luneder - i am liking it as is.. why do a really detailed line art if your going to get rid of the lines?
    I never keep my lines in the color phase isn't my style plus I am 100x more skilled in full color rendering so it will look much better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dirksteele: great work so far! Love the hairdo and your shading! The fur gives her an air of authority, neat! Little pointers - maybe make the staff a little longer on top (so it doesn't end right after her fingers) and maybe enlarge her hands a bit. Looking forward to your progress!

Please excuse my poor English, it's not my first language!
    DA / tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job everyone it's progressing well !

Dread_Reaper > So I got rid of the saturated colors like you suggested and you were right, I love her more this way ! nevertheless for the "viking" style, I added leather, pin of metal, apron and a knife for everyday duties but won't add male things or even winged/horned helmets because I wanted some historic accuracy (those kinds of helmet were not found in any grave, and no picture of this time represent them ; when there were pictures, only helmets without wings/horns came up. This idea came more from the 19th century romantic ideas). But I wonder if I can add some furred shoes... What prevents me is that I wanted the pageant contest to take place on the longest day of the year, so when the weather is hot enough. Maybe I should try. Or maybe I should stick to my concept choices... Well... Maybe I should stop thinking...

Elmasfeo > yup, I talked about glove but I'm not sure anymore... I will try anyway. I thought about common shoes as well (a piece of leather bent on itself), the same, I don't know if I do it or not...
    About yours, I would advice to drop the bad habit of the dodge tool (even if it's lot of fun... got a period with that) and try darker and lighter values "manually". Also try to add a little different colour (not just value) to see what kind of effect it gives to your skin or piece of cloth... In brief, experiment. Nice flow of the hair by the way.

Aissa78 > nice values on this one, but I have mixed feelings about the shadows, especially on the face. It does not seem natural to me and I had to think to understand those were shadows dropped by clouds (isnt it?) The fur of the polar bear before her hand is kind of weird ; she would pinch hard the poor beast to get such a piece of fur, dont you think ?
    Btw, I absolutely love the tiara.

W!L > Thanks for crit. You got one of my main weaknesses here ! I really struggle everytime with contrast. When I think I made a lot of effort to push the contrast, it's still not enough. It's a kind of shyness. Maybe I should have not skipped the "grayscale to colour" method for this one, it would have helped... Well, I'll see what I can do more... For the raven, it was more the idea of being close to nature, a kind of viking ideal (in my mind only maybe, no historical reference this time). For me, the more the woman is close to and kind with the nature, the more "beautiful" she is seen and the more chances she has to win.

About yours: I like the idea of the swing. Pretty pose and nice expression too!
    Anyway, I preferred the hair the way it was (windy, not tied). Her shoe looks a bit too roman for me.

BlindLynx > I totally get your idea of killing/emptying/cooking the pork. I think it fits well the role of the woman as well as for the babies factory . I'm looking forward to see her finalized!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not far into rendering out the lines but the face is about 80% done and will probably come back to it after I see the effect of the rest of the body render has on it.
    Name:  Viking Queen wip 3.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  210.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little late to join the game, but I'll try to catch up. So far this rough sketch. I thought it would be fun to picture her as the winner of some sort of drinking contest as part of the 'pageant'
    Name:  sketchessmall.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  35.1 KBName:  happyvikingwip.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  85.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone..!
    This is my first attempt here to join a contest I hope I'll be able to finish the artwork in time.
    But this is the rough I have right now, I'm doing it in watercolor, digital is not a requirement is it?
    Love all the characters that are here so far, so much fun to follow up on this.

Name:  rough.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  183.5 KB

Does the walker choose the path or the path choose the walker?

Sketchbook

Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ameza - Cool piece, you'll be fine with watercolours, it's good to see some variation in medium.

Havok - Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad I kept going with this one, even though i'm struggling lots!

Update, trying to fix the proportions, foreshortening and hands. Goodnight for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the feedback so far. I'm really liking how these are all progressing, looks like we've got quite a bit of variety.

Haven't had a chance to work on this much over the past couple of days, but here's a bit of progress.

Name:  vikingwip_3.png
Views: 245
Size:  497.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Luneder, I think you rendered out the attitude on your Viking's face, I'd try to find that again; it really worked.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is probably one of my favourite in this thread, I like contrast and render and probably whole design is interesting, but that arms in this positions looks painfull for character . When that stick held by her right arm is in line with legs it means her arm is perfectly beside her body and that hurts. Her left arm is good but shoulder move a little bit to front. Man I sound little arogant now but I really like this one but I saw that immediately.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveZissou View Post
    Luneder, I think you rendered out the attitude on your Viking's face, I'd try to find that again; it really worked.
    yep I know, I just liquify tooled some of the expression back into it, expressions are pretty easy to put in after the fleshing since most expressions are shown in the eyes and eye brows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dirksteele: here is a critique I think will help your design a lot.
    Name:  Dirksteele critique.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  202.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Noun: Thanks for the critique! I know I almost kept forgetting the friggin' crown. But it's there now! I haven't finished this is just me trollin'. The clothes are close but I'm going to work on the face, etc. later. I noticed that we're both going for kind of FABULOUS! Viking women XD

@Ameza: Looking forward to seeing a nice watercolor, it's going to be hard though since I keep looking at your avatar icon and comparing, haha.

Name:  viking3.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  51.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dayle: Better on the hands. It may be a little too late to make corrections, but for the future, before you go into the rendering. Really think about the pose. Where is the weight being distributed, is the pose possible, does it look natural or uncomfortable. Put your self in the position and see how it feels. Also, pay attention to perspective with other objects, in this case the chair.

I did a quick little red line. Now, my sketch is off in areas especially the chair's legs are too short XD, but I just wanted to get the idea across.

Last edited by Havok Reed; November 12th, 2013 at 11:47 PM.
    !!SKETCHBOOK!!

Visit my website for additional info. www.mjdstudios.com
    “If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More comic book-y then I intended, but I am running out of time so this may be closer to the finish then I would like. Meh, it is what it is.

Name:  viking-queen.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  68.6 KB

Use it or loose it. And now I find myself trying remember where I lost my drawing skills...

Sketchbook

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 284