Thanks

Legal side of freelancing? Help!

Hi everyone,
    I am sorry in advance if this was asked a thousand times before, but I could not find any valuable information. (At least for me.)

What's the deal: I am about to do a paid commission for a game-dev company. With contracts and all this stuff. Problem is, I am not a resident of US or any other place on Earth where freelancing is a known type of business and therefore, the information on Internet is not targeted at my current living place, that is Czech Republic. And searching for it gave no useful results.
    What I need to know is: Can I sign a contract and get paid afterwards via PayPal without being a certificated freelancer? With no juridical lawsuits and bounties on my head?
    Bonus question: Can a freelancer work full-time on some company and still do contracted commissions on his/hers free time?

Thanks to anyone who can help at least a bit. And again, sorry if this is a repost.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    That would depend on the laws of Czech Republic. You could ask at your branch of the tax-collecting office, they'll tell you what you'd need to do this legally. You may find out that a registered business is required, or not required under a certain sum, that you may be exempt from some taxes or subject to additional ones. Regulations in one country aren't necessarily the same as in another.

Bonus answer: it depends on the contract with the full-time employer. Some would allow it, some won't. I've seen contracts that require the employee to dedicate "all" of their ability to the job, whatever the way they interpret that. I've even seen ones which make the employee agree to make all of their creative output, whether produced on the job or off, the property of the employer. Which is ridiculous, but still shows that you need to read the particular contract to know.

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, arenhaus!
    I will talk with my economics teacher in school tomorrow and post here what I'll find out.

Thanks
    You can also find working fulltime freelancers from Czech Republic and ask them what's required to become a freelance business. Professionals who've been doing it for a few years usually know the busines side (unless they leave everything to their accountant or tax advisor)
    They don't even have to be illustrators, any kind of freelancer such as designer or singer will do too!

I only know the legal side of freelancing in Germany, and a few books on how-to in the USA so I can't give real advice.

Thanks
    I've talked to people today and got answers I needed. It's relevant to Czech Republic, but maybe it could be still useful to someone else.

- You can sign contracts as soon as you hand over your "freelance license comply" or whatever you call it to those people who sign papers in the offices;
    - You can be freelancer and still work full-time anywhere, but the company that employs you;
    - I will never fully understand all this taxing and juridical nonsense.